StromTrooper banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've searched the forum for Tail Bags... but most of the posts are pretty old and a lot of the links are broken. I was hoping someone has a recommendation for an inexpensive (in the 70-120 range) Tail Bag that is still in production, and will attach decently to the stock rack without getting in the way of seat removal. I'm mainly looking for one that can fit a sweat jacket or some rain gear.

Anybody buy one recently?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Unfortunately, the Cortech Sport Tailbag seems to no longer be in production. It was one I had seen in the other threads, but I'm not having any luck finding one outside of ebay.

·
Registered
527 Posts
I like the Ogio. Ogio Tail Bag | ZZ26938 | J&P Cycles

Built in rain cover in front zipper pocket. Clips on/off quickly and has carry handle. Zip open to expand if needed. Has 2 side pockets and one top pocket for small stuff.

Here it is on the DR with raincover on and expanded.

It'll fit a boxed pie - very important.:thumbup:

·
Premium Member
4,306 Posts
You might want to look at Saddlemen Bags (Saddlemen Bags and Luggage | Luggage), they several different styles and might be in your price range. Aerostich (Tail Bags - Seat, Tank & Tail Bags - Bags :: Aerostich/RiderWearHouse Motorcycle Jackets, Suits, Clothing, & Gear) carries a few tail bags too. Or if you are looking for a dry bag Twisted Throttle (Luggage & Racks - Shop by Product - TwistedThrottle.com) has the DrySpec which is close to your price.

I think the Bags-Connection tail bags (Twisted Throttle) and the MotoFizz Camping Seat bag (Aerostich) are all above you price line.

Last year I used a 40L dry bag from Wally World for about $12 plus tax worked great but it was pretty ugly. :mrgreen: This year I have the MotoFizz bag and will see how it does.

·
Registered
710 Posts
For everyday use, I have adapted an expandable tank bag for use as a tail bag. I use a Nelson-Riggs that expands enough to put my helmet in if so needed, and has easily accessible pockets for small items needed frequently. I have it mounted in such a way there is no need for straps and the bag cannot shift around.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That Ogio seems like a steal at that price. Is there anything cheap about the quality in the stitching?

·
Registered
527 Posts
Nope. I have 2. One "dirty" that spends it's life full of tools, tubes, etc on the back of my DR....and a "clean" one that jumps 'tween bikes for errands.

I've ridden easily 1000 miles of dirt - admittedly mostly mild stuff - but some high speed desert stuff too - and have never had a fail. You can see the ROK straps I use to add another layer of security but the original clips/mounting have never failed.

My son also has one that sees mostly street duty. No issues.

I like the versatility of the bag.

·
Registered
117 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
I'm going to take a wild guess that the OP has found a solution, but since Nelson rigg brought this zombie thread back, I figured id post what I thought was a great solution.

On my wife's SV650 she bought a soft sided cooler, the kind with a hard plastic tub inside. She also found a passenger seat that someone who was racing his SV gave her, she bolted the cooler to the seat base and for under $25 bucks she had a tail bag big enough for stuff for day rides, sweatshirt, snacks, water bottle.
And it kept cold things cooler and warm things warmer.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts