StromTrooper banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Waiting for the 12 ADV model. I was going to swap the oem SlipStone DeathWings with some new Michelin Pilot Road 3's, any one running these on there 1st Gen Weestroms? how do you like them?

·
Registered
180 Posts
They perform as expected: nice street tires with reasonable longevity. I have 7k miles on mine by now and there's probably a few more in there. Some off-roading was possible, but not with any great competency.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I've got a PR3 up front and regular tourance on the rear. If you never plan to do more than a gravel road, the PR3 is very nice, albeit spendy, but grip and ride is great. I will probably run the pair next time round

·
Registered
6,702 Posts
Still waiting for a PR3 wet dirt report

excuse

THE TIRE THREAD, YOU'VE BEEN WARNED

Actually I think there should be a time out on some perpetual threads.

Wolfs Head OIl and Marathon Tires

·
Premium Member
728 Posts
I'll be putting PR3's on my new Wee, probably before the factory issues, wear out.
I have them on my Concours and they piloted me on a 7000 mile adventure, last Sept.. They're great all around road tires, and are exceptionable on wet roads. The rear has cupped a little since my trip, but I will replace it with another PR3, prior to the spring.

·
Registered
6,702 Posts
Until I hear different about dirt roads (In New England they are clay and dirt NOT gravel I keep hearing about)

I am going to stick with Anakee front and put on a PR2 rear.

My Anakee rear near dead at 4000 on a Vee

PR3 Look too much like a cheater slick or GP rain tire

·
Registered
3 Posts
re pilot r3's

I bought a new 2011 wee, put a set on after a couple rides on the stockers,(trailwings),
rode on a gravel road, decided to stay on the street. I've only got 2400 mi. on the bike,
but i really like the tires, especially on the sporting side of riding.

·
Premium Member
728 Posts
Until I hear different about dirt roads (In New England they are clay and dirt NOT gravel I keep hearing about)
I am going to stick with Anakee front and put on a PR2 rear.
My Anakee rear near dead at 4000 on a Vee
PR3 Look too much like a cheater slick or GP rain tire
I bought a new 2011 wee, put a set on after a couple rides on the stockers,(trailwings),
rode on a gravel road, decided to stay on the street. I've only got 2400 mi. on the bike,
but i really like the tires, especially on the sporting side of riding.
I'd go with a Anakee also, if any off road riding were in the mix.
I just put Anakee's on my KLR in the last couple of hundred miles, but haven't tried them on any dirt yet.
As far as road use goes, PR3's will hold their own with any other brand.

·
Premium Member
3,315 Posts
Waiting for the 12 ADV model. I was going to swap the oem SlipStone DeathWings with some new Michelin Pilot Road 3's, any one running these on there 1st Gen Weestroms? how do you like them?
Love them, great tire. Although I thought the OEM Trailwings were decent. Hated the Tourances and Conti Road Attacks.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Tread pattern is definitely wrong on the front tire

anybody notice the PR III tread pattern looks like its runing backwards? anyway i'm runing PR3 on front.
I just got some and I DO notice that the front tread pattern is just plain backwards when the tire is mounted per the directional arrows. I'm just starting to search for information about this. I can't believe it isn't all over the net. It's clearly wrong wrong wrong. Groove will channel water toward the center of the tire.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I just got some and I DO notice that the front tread pattern is just plain backwards when the tire is mounted per the directional arrows. I'm just starting to search for information about this. I can't believe it isn't all over the net. It's clearly wrong wrong wrong. Groove will channel water toward the center of the tire.
With all due respect, you don't think they did just a little R&D and tested it just once or twice, and may have noticed if it was the wrong way round......Seriously :confused::confused::confused:

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have one on the the rear, previous rear was a PR2, seems good but for the person wondering about wet traction, great on pavement, street tires off road and wet, suck a big one, doable but (for mountain riding I promise) your skills and judgment are tested.

·
Registered
6,702 Posts
Well of course in the southern hemisphere it is correct

Its a Coriolis thing

I am going toward Anakee front and PR2 rear

·
Registered
713 Posts
anybody notice the PR III tread pattern looks like its runing backwards? anyway i'm runing PR3 on front.
They look wrong until you figure where the water is going when you are heeled over.

I have a set, f & r, of the PR3 Trail. I've maybe 2500 Kms on them. The Wee handles and tracks beautifully with them. They are quite responsive to input, which took a bit of getting use to. Realize I am comparing these to the original tires with 13000 Kms, and am so pleased that I don't pretend total objectivity.

I am in the process of moving to a house in the boonies near Newcastle Ontario, and I have a 1 to 4 Kms ride on a dirt/mud/gravel road (depending which way I'm going), which was not in the plan when I bought the tires. They are twitchy on the mud and gravel, as expected, but not overly dangerous feeling. No worse than my near bald oem tires. I'm getting confident on them on the dirt (which might just be setting me up for a nice slide on the bike's side - oh well). I felt confident within minutes on the street.

Once I leave the gravel behind, I'm glad to have them. Broken pavement is no problem with them. I'd have to say they have a solid yet responsive feel, if that's not too oxymoronic. I did slide over on a painted line in the dry, cornering very hard on a ramp, and the tires caught nicely after the 4-inch side-step. No theatrics.

I'm still learning to ride, I keep finding out.

Oh, very nice in the rain.

·
Registered
353 Posts
PR2 vs PR3 on rear.

Morgan,

Noticed you said you have run both PR2 and PR3 on rear. My PR1 rear has over 11k and still some meat so I am thrilled with that and like handling.

I am considering PR2 over the PR3 because I read that the PR2 is slightly softer on the sidewall. Did you notice any better stick with PR2 vs PR3 and any other observations between the 2 and 3.

Thanks.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts