StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
this area isn't used much, I just bought my 2013 DL-650 about 5 months ago and really like it. I have a few trips planned as soon as the weather gets better including a trip to Big Bend and Boquillas Mexico. I live in El Reno.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There's a few of us around. :)
I'm in the central OKC area.
Do you still race? I traded my R-1 in on my DL-650. It is for sale at Oklahoma Honda. Some one is going to get a great race bike if they buy it. I spent 35 hundred on Ktech front cartridges and new penske rear shock just before i sold it. It seems to always be the case that when I finally get the suspension sorted out I end up selling the bike shortly after.

·
Registered
84 Posts
A buddy and myself both bought 2013 650's recently. We live in Stroud but did take a ride to Arcadia and Lazy E last weekend just to get out. Going stir crazy waiting for Spring.

·
Premium Member
2,676 Posts
Do you still race? I traded my R-1 in on my DL-650. It is for sale at Oklahoma Honda. Some one is going to get a great race bike if they buy it. I spent 35 hundred on Ktech front cartridges and new penske rear shock just before i sold it. It seems to always be the case that when I finally get the suspension sorted out I end up selling the bike shortly after.
No, I quit after the 2010 season, just too old. :) Still have the SV race bike for track days though. Did you run the R1 at Hallett?

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
No, I quit after the 2010 season, just too old. :) Still have the SV race bike for track days though. Did you run the R1 at Hallett?
I have been to Hallet but that was years ago. This was from 2004, I am number 31 the only person looking at the camera

I rode my R-1 at College station last April. I could not believe how bumpy that straight away is at 150 plus. I could be a full time track rat but I just can not afford it.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
drawing the Grand Prize for last years Oklahoma Grand Tour Saturday January 25th at 1pm at Oklahoma Honda-Suzuki.

Also this years Oklahoma Grand Tour books are available! I am going to get mine.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I signed up for the Grand Tour of Oklahoma last Saturday.

Last yearI did all but the north western part of the Oklahoma Adventure Trail. It should be renamed the Oklahoma Ride. I only encountered about 100 yards of trail the whole time. Most of it was droning along with no real destination. Lots of dead ends and locked gates.

Lots of backtracking too.

This seems like a much better endeavor.

Grand Tour | Del City Oklahoma Honda Suzuki

I have my waypoints entered in the gps and routes planned. It would be easy to include many dirt roads in these loops. The loops are 5 to 6 hundred miles each and I will probably do each one in a weekend. There are 5 loops.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Well it looks like the weather is about to start improving. I'm out of town for work but I'm itching to get home, install some farkles, and get some more miles under my belt.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It is a balmy 27 degrees in El Reno right now. Just fixed my first cup of coffee from my smancy fancy super automatic coffee maker.
I have a few projects to do too. They are having free chili at Oklahoma Honda on around lunch time this Friday.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Anyone got any suggestions for a short day trip? Ive got friday off and the weather looks decent so I'm looking to do some riding while my kid is in school. I'm thinking of going and riding Hogback road but thought I wojld see if someone had a better suggestion.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I am planning on a ride this Friday too.
I am up for anything, I was thinking about hitting a couple of the destinations on the Grand Tour of Oklahoma.

·
Premium Member
2,676 Posts
Anyone got any suggestions for a short day trip? Ive got friday off and the weather looks decent so I'm looking to do some riding while my kid is in school. I'm thinking of going and riding Hogback road but thought I wojld see if someone had a better suggestion.
Go down to the Arbuckles, local roads on both sides of the interstate that aren't too bad.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
If you think you might be interested, drop by Oklahoma Suzuki Honda and ask about the Grand Tour of Oklahoma. It cost 10 bucks to enter and they give all the money back at the end of the year.
I have all of the information in a gps file if any one is interested.
I am hitting a couple of the locations today. This years theme are all of the Carnegie Libraries. There are 34 total with some extra locations like the cemetery circus performers shrine in Hugo and a few historical churches.
In the past I have participated in the "I've Been Everywhere" tour and the Presidents tour of the United States. My wife, son and I put 50 thousand miles on a K1200 LT and about 15k on a GS driving all over the southwest US. Those were some of the best trips going to places you normally would not visit.
This is from the I've Been Everywhere tour.

The Grand Tour of Oklahoma is run a little looser but will be just as fun.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I just checked and Team Strange has a new tour ready and links to a number of tours around the US.

My wife put on two historical tours of Texas when we were members of the Austin BMW riders club.

I sure do miss that bunch. Here is the day we celebrated with the late Ardys Kellerman after we did a group Iron Butt 1,000 in one ride.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I picked off 4 more locations on the Grand Tour of Oklahoma Monday. It was a little over 300 miles. I am loving the Vstrom. This was from Cherokee Oklahoma.

I was missing Idaho this week. There was nothing better than a ride in the desert after a rainstorm. The sand would firm up and give awesome traction. This is near Glens Ferry Idaho and was part of a loop I rode quite often as part of my training for some of the rallys up there.

dual sporting in Idaho

1 - 20 of 49 Posts