StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm currently crippled by indecision in my jacket buying process. I'm tall, 6'5", 190-200 lbs., wear a 42L suit size and usually need a 35" dress shirt. So at minimum I'd need that sleeve length in a moto jacket, preferably a little longer to account for the riding position.

I really want to try the Olympia Dakar, and while their size chart says I should be in a Large, I believe the sleeve length would be too short. I talked to both Revzilla and Olympia and they both said they'd recommend going up to the XL due to the height/sleeve length issue.

My other choice was a Firstgear jacket of some type in Large-Tall. Revzilla confirmed that this would be a good fit, and although I really want to try a Kilimanjaro, I'm worried about it being too hot for the Summer we're about to move into here in North AL. The CS rep I talked to at Revzilla recommended the Firstgear Adventure Mesh as a jacket similar to the Kili, but being all mesh would be better suited for the Summer months here in AL. My only concern with that jacket is, at least on paper, seems to have much less abrasion protection than the Kili or the Olympia Dakar, and it doesn't have the D30 armor the Kili has. Decisions decisions...

Have any of you guys with a similar build (42-44" chest, 35" or more arm) tried the XL sized Olympia 3/4 jackets? What did you think?

I really hate to order two jackets and send back one (or maybe both), but it's looking like that's my best option.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Have you ever tried on an Olympia coat with their 3 layers (outer layer, insulation layer and then waterproof layer)? It's a bulky mess. If it's true you need to go to an XL to get coverage for a 35" sleeve, it's going to fit very poorly in the torso.

In First Gear terms, you're a Large and a standard Large has 35" sleeves. The Tall version will be longer in the torso, which you probably need, and the sleeves will be 37" roughly. You'll have room to stretch and layer up as needed throughout the year without getting "sleeve bound".

Kilimanjaro with the liner out and all vents open for summer months in AL, I guess it depends on how you deal with heat. I run hot and wouldn't survive without a full mesh in temps above 75 degrees.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I have a couple of Olympia jackets. Love em. Im a 42 regular jacket guy. This isnt going to work for you. If youve spoken with Kevin or his CS guy and they said nothing about a 42L, Id give up on the XL. The 42 or (L) is pretty loose on me.

May I suggest Looking at some of the Tourmaster/Cortech stuff? They do a long in almost all their jackets. I think its well made gear at a good price . They have a pretty liberal policy on warrant-able claims.

they are distributed by helmethouse.com

Hope this gives you an option you'll like.

·
Administrator
17,003 Posts
Transition III might just be perfect for you, I have a II and have had it for over 7 years.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Have any of you guys with a similar build (42-44" chest, 35" or more arm) tried the XL sized Olympia 3/4 jackets? What did you think?

I really hate to order two jackets and send back one (or maybe both), but it's looking like that's my best option.
Yes. The sleeves were too short by a country mile. The jacket's length barely qualifies as a 3/4 cut, in my view. Granted, I'm squarely in the "talls" category, but my takeaway was that Olympia's jacket templates are a bit too modest, even for average folks.

I've had a good experience with the Large Talls from Firstgear. Reasonably priced and reasonable performance. The riding pants could use another inch or so of inseam length, but I make do. The textile (non-mesh) jackets, e.g. the Kilimanjaro, are genuinely warm in cold weather. The vents are functionally worthless in hot temps, however. You'll want a mesh jacket for summer riding in AL.

I've ordered multiple jackets, knowing that I'd have to return one. FGs tailoring can be a bit inconsistent between models. Something to consider here. Best of luck.

·
Registered
569 Posts
If you mean by 3/4 the length that goes only to the beltline then that's mine. Not sure the name of it but Olympia stopped making it in '09. I'm 6'3' to 6'4" with 36 sleeve. Mines is a XXXL and fits OK. I can't see how a XL will fit you. Mine is a little bulky but gets the job done. Length is OK.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you mean by 3/4 the length that goes only to the beltline then that's mine. Not sure the name of it but Olympia stopped making it in '09. I'm 6'3' to 6'4" with 36 sleeve. Mines is a XXXL and fits OK. I can't see how a XL will fit you. Mine is a little bulky but gets the job done. Length is OK.
3/4 is the jacket style that extends down and covers the butt, not the one that goes to the belt line. (called waist length, I believe).

My issue is the chest/waist measurement. I've checked it a few times and try as I might, I'm only getting 41-42" around the chest with a t-shirt on. 36" waist. My 42L suit jackets fit very well, but there was a time when I was lifting weights heavily that I went up to a 44L because the 42L was tight across the back of the shoulders. I tried one of those jackets on yesterday and I looked like a little kid playing dress up in his dad's clothes.

I was all convinced I would be well fit in a large Olympia jacket, based on the Revzilla videos and the size charts, especially with all the talk about the roomy, boxy cut, until I tried on a co-worker's Airglide jacket yesterday in size large (I think it's an Airglide, it's a couple years old, may be a previous model, but it looks like an Airglide or Renegade). With no liners, it fit through the chest/shoulders/mid-section more like a leather sport bike jacket, very tailored fit, but the sleeves were inches too short in the riding position. It could also have used a little extra length in the torso. The velcro cinch straps at the belt line were let all the way out. I was surprised, and I wondered if maybe they had changed the fit on the newer models, or if the 3/4 length "adventure style" jackets like the Dakar or Ranger might be cut differently. Hence my further indecision.

Sounds like an XL might be do-able in the chest/shoulders, but I find it hard to believe the arms are going to be that much longer over the large.

Firstgear Large-Tall is looking like the way to go, but I may go ahead and order the XL Olympia just to prove to myself it won't fit. Or maybe a dealer in Chattanooga or Nashville has one I can ride up and try on this weekend.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As another data point, last week a local shop had an Alpinestars Cape Town (3/4 length three layer adventure style jacket), and it was an XL. Tried that on with all the liners and it fit very nicely. The Euro style tailored fit works well on me (assuming I can lay off the beer and cookies…). I was surprised the arms were not too short. I didn't try it on the bike, but the arms straight out in front test resulted in sleeves ending at the wrist bone, which definitely would be workable with a gauntlet glove. Wonder what the sleeve length is listed at on that jacket? I'm guessing 35".

·
Registered
565 Posts
Have freakishly long arms for a short guy, the fieldsheir I have seems good. It is a 3/4 and pretty good.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
And for the guys recommending the Tourmaster Transition III, that one has also popped up in my searches. Good to hear that is another viable option, I'll give it a closer look.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I'm 6'2" 215 I wear a 44L (sometimes 42L) and typically wear a 16 1/2 x 35 shirt. Sometimes 34's fit but usually the sleeves ride up on me. I have an Olympia AST jacket in XL and the fit is very good but not extremely roomy in the chest area and the sleeves are plenty long. I doubt seriously you would fit well into the large size. I think you would be fine with the XL. I don't think you will swim in the jacket. That is my experience with the AST, which is a 3/4 jacket. I cant speak for any other jackets Olympia makes.

When it comes to certain wearables, I prefer to buy at a local dealer where I can try them on. You will pay a bit more but you don't have the hassle of returning something that does not fit and you get instant gratification. Show them what you can buy it for online and they might be willing to give you some concession. It worked for me at a dealer when I was buying a helmet. They met me part of the way and I had my helmet the same day.

·
Registered
73 Posts
You might consider Motoport. They make a Kevlar mesh jacket that can be made to your measurements. The jacket is not cheap and there is an extra charge for custom sizing but I can attest to the quality of their products.

Here's a link for the jacket on their website

Motoport

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I did look hard at Motoport, as well as Aerostich, as the price was not prohibitive to me IF I could get perfectly fitted. However, as has been my experience with trying to fit things from afar, I don't want to spend the money nor run the risk of having a non-returnable custom item unless I can get measured up by the person making the garment. My luck is such that it would take 10 back and forth returns before it was right.

I ordered a FG Kilimanjaro yesterday from Revzilla, despite the fact that it will probably be too warm for riding around here in another month. I may be going on a trip up to Asheville, NC next week on the bike, and it will still get cold there, and I hate being cold, so I had that in mind when ordering. If the fit is good I will probably get another FG jacket in mesh for the dog days.

Also ordered some Olympia Airglide 3 pants, and Firstgear HT Air pants (Tall) to try out. There is now smoke coming off my credit card :yikes:

·
Registered
3,164 Posts
I'm not sure if my specs will help you, but here:

I have a 39" waist, 44-45" chest, 35" arms.

My general t shirt size is XL which fits slightly loose. My dress shirt size is 16 1/2 x 35. My dress pant size is 40Wx32I. I wear a 46R suit coat.

I have the Olympia AST 3/4 jacket (current generation, but I had an old one in the same size, too) and an Olympia mesh waist length jacket. Both are XL. The AST has arms that are long enough; the mesh jacket's arms are ever so slightly too short, but not short enough that it is worth replacing.

Both jackets fit comfortably with liners under and slightly loose with just a regular shirt under. I consider them to be about a perfect fit (minus the mesh's arm length). With a liner and a heated vest under the AST it is snug to my body but not "sausage casing" snug, so it doesn't flap around in the wind.

Edit, well dang it, you were posting the above while I was typing my post. Guess I could have saved myself the effort! :)

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm not sure if my specs will help you, but here:

I have a 39" waist, 44-45" chest, 35" arms.

My general t shirt size is XL which fits slightly loose. My dress shirt size is 16 1/2 x 35. My dress pant size is 40Wx32I. I wear a 46R suit coat.

I have the Olympia AST 3/4 jacket (current generation, but I had an old one in the same size, too) and an Olympia mesh waist length jacket. Both are XL. The AST has arms that are long enough; the mesh jacket's arms are ever so slightly too short, but not short enough that it is worth replacing.

Both jackets fit comfortably with liners under and slightly loose with just a regular shirt under. I consider them to be about a perfect fit (minus the mesh's arm length). With a liner and a heated vest under the AST it is snug to my body but not "sausage casing" snug, so it doesn't flap around in the wind.

Edit, well dang it, you were posting the above while I was typing my post. Guess I could have saved myself the effort! :)
Actually, thanks for the post. Based on your description, I went ahead and ordered the Olympia Dakar in XL to try out as well. So I'll be able to do a back to back comparison between it and the Kilimanjaro. What the heck, it's only money, right?

Thanks!

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Update: Tried on both jackets and...

The LG-Tall Firstgear Kilimanjaro is big on me. Poncho like. I could probably do with about an inch less sleeve. Maybe inch and a half. And 2 inches less in the torso. So, maybe I'm just a regular LG in this particular jacket.

The jacket is heavy. It has a bit of a rubberized raincoat feel to it. You don't get that from looking at the pictures online. It is warm, with the liner removed. After a little while of fiddling with it on my body, sitting on the bike in the garage, I was close to the point of sweating. And it's only 73 degrees in the house. I definitely agree that this thing would be tough in the humidity if you weren't moving at 60+ mph, and even then…

I really like the D30 armor. I got a Klim D30 back protector in the order for the jacket, and it is really cool. Feels like silly-puddy. I actually like the detachable pouches they have for the armor. Makes it much easier to move the armor around in the jacket and get it where you want it. Having to open multi-lined velcro pouches sewn into the jacket liner to move armor around in SUCKS.

I don't think I'll keep it. At the very least, I'd like to try a regular LG size. I've read the TPG has more of a tailored, Euro cut to it, maybe that would be a better fit on me. Still, it's a really nice jacket with lots of great features.

I also received the Olympia Dakar jacket today, size XL. First, the sleeves are actually long enough. Sitting on the bike, they easily come to the tops of my hands, covering the wrists, without bunching. The FG Kili actually bunched up on my hands in this position. The Dakar is a really nice jacket as well. This one is Hi-Viz, and it is probably one of the best HVZ designs I've seen. Very stylish.

With the liners out (there are two, a rain layer, and insulated layer, which combine to form a finished "destination" jacket you can wear standalone), the jacket is a little big on me through the chest and shoulders. I think that is one of the reasons the sleeve length works; the extra space in the torso allows me to reach for the bars and not have the sleeves pull up. In other words, I move in the jacket, it doesn't bind and shorten up on me (like my current jacket that fits better through the chest and shoulders while off the bike).

The armor seems cheap. Real cheap. It's just foam, and looks like something you'd use in a shipping box to protect a computer. Which, I guess, should work fine. There is no adjustment for the shoulder armor, it resides in a pouch sewn into the jacket liner. This concerns me a bit, because due to the slightly too wide shoulders in the jacket, I could move the armor up a bit for a better fit. I did this in the Kili and it worked great. No such capability in the Dakar.

The mesh in the arms and chest should flow a good bit of air, and I wonder how effective the two inner layers would be when trying to turn this into a Alabama winter jacket. Anything below 40 would probably require better base layers, or a heated layer, same as I experienced with my current mesh jacket this past winter. The Kili would really shine below 50, I think.

So I'm not sure what to do at this point. I'm inclined to keep the Dakar, but for a jacket that costs $350 the non-adjustability of the armor (and cheap armor at that), and the less than ideal fit in the chest and shoulders are keeping me from being certain.

I have a similar conundrum with the pants I received as well, FG HT Air, and Olympia Airglide 3. The HT Air are 36 Tall, the Airglide 36 with their EZ-Hem leg length (35" according to the size chart). They both fit about the same in the waist, but the Airglide fits much better through the hips, butt, and legs. They are more jean like in their fit on me. The HT Air are baggier, looking more like snow pants off the bike. On the bike it doesn't really matter.
As far as length goes, the Airglides are short on me. I don't have full height boots (TCX X-Move WP), but they're not short riding shoes either, and the Airglide pants come just to the top of them. After a short time riding, I'm sure they'd end up higher. With a full height boot it wouldn't be a problem, but they still look short. The knee armor position is weird, it wants to be on the inside of the knee cap (a common complaint with Olympia pants). It took some fiddling to get in the right place for me, and it's still not great. I do however like that while being a mesh Summer riding pant, the Airglide has solid Cordura across the entire seat area.

The HT Air pants are plenty long for me, and the knee armor fell right into place with no adjustment needed. They are really nice pants, however they look, well, like your typical frumpy motorcycle over pants. My biggest concern with these pants, the only thing really preventing me from wanting to keep them, is the fact that the whole seat area of the pant is just mesh, no reinforcement. Seems like that's an area you'd want to have an extra layer of protection...

So I don't know, I want to like the Airglides but unless I can add some extra length (I believe Olmpia will send you some extra Cordura material to hem to the bottom of the pants), and maybe try some different armor that feels better, I can't see keeping them. Conversely, the HT Air pants fit in the length and armor position, but the lack of protection in the seat of the pants makes me hesitant.

This is why I hate shopping for clothes.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Keeping the Kilimanjaro

Well I decided to keep the Kilimanjaro and the HT Air pants. Wore the jacket a little more, on the bike, and I like the fact that I can ride the bike and not have the sleeve cuffs ride up past the end of the gloves. It's refreshing! The extra length in the torso is not an issue either, once underway. I just zip the bottom zipper up a few inches until the jacket doesn't bunch in the front, and I'm good. Today it was cool and a little rainy, and having the extra length in the back keeps updrafts from getting up through the bottom of the jacket.

I also installed the Klim Viper T5 D30 back pad, and I have to say, D30 back pads are the way to go. This thing is soft and flexible, if a little heavy, and it's SO much more comfortable than the A-stars I have in my other jacket.

The pants flow a TON of air. In fact, several times I would look down thinking the bottom of the pants had blown up past my knee and exposed my lower leg, it was that breezy. I think they'll be good this summer. Still working on the armor positioning, but the Firstgear pants have lots of adjustment in the knee armor position, so I should be able to find the perfect spot. It's also nice to be able to zip the jacket to the pants!

The Olympia Dakar was just too roomy in the chest. I was swimming in it without the extra two liners. With those in, it fit better, but the extra bulk effectively shortened the arm length on me, making them a bit too short. Really wish they'd make a Large-Tall, it would be perfect. Hear that, Olympia?!!

So, alls well that ends well. I think I'll be happy with the jacket until it starts getting brutally hot, then I'll probably just wear the mesh jacket I have. I'm really going to appreciate the Kili next Fall and Winter, though!

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have had great service from Olympia. If you spoke with them directly I would bet you will be fine. I have had two AST's (one and two) and think they are a great product.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have had great service from Olympia. If you spoke with them directly I would bet you will be fine. I have had two AST's (one and two) and think they are a great product.
Oh this Dakar jacket is really nice. I wish they had more adjustability in the shoulder armor, but the rest of the jacket construction is top notch. I'd upgrade the armor to D30 if I bought one. However, until I can get something from them with long enough sleeves without being too big in the chest, I'm afraid I won't get the fit I'm looking for from their jackets.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts