StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Premium Member
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, I'm wondering in there are any Stromers who what are members of the Cycle Conservation Club of Michigan.

http://www.cycleconservationclub.org/index.htm

Also wondering if anyone's attempted to do the CCC's Lower Penninsula off-road loop on a Strom. I've seen pics and ride reports about people doing the lower penn routes on DRZ's and it looks like the going could get a bit too rough for a Strom but there are ways to navagate around a lot of the rough spots.

I must have seen "Sorcerer" a couple times too many and now I've got big idealized ideas about doing the 1200 mile lower penn loop on a Strom next summer.

Thanks
SK

·
Banned
53 Posts
Hey, I'm a Strommer from the LP, and the safest and most scenic routes to ride for me is M-22 North out of Manistee. Not a 1200 mile course by any stretch, and no trial riding, but it runs for over 125 miles along the coast of Lake Michigan with vista views and quaint resort towns, inland lakes and rivers, and fishing stops all along the way. I'm located about 45 miles South of Traverse City, and I love the riding around here. If you decide to make a loop of the LP next summer, you should look me up, we have LOTS of trails to ride, I'm just to scared to take my baby down them!!:mrgreen:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Ok! I gots to know. What's the loop and where can I find info on it?? I'm an ex-Stromer...soon to be Stromer again and I live in Allen Park Michigan.

Dave

·
Premium Member
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think there's a few routes you can take. Here are a couple of very descriptive ride reports from Adv Rider. The pics in these reports will give you an idea of what "the loop's" are all about.

As for finding "the loop," I'm pretty sure the MI DNR has off-road maps available for free on their website, but this Michigan Conservation Club
www.cycleconservationclub.org has put together a mess of map pieces into one big map that you get for joining the club.

Check these out:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=138402

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95040&highlight=MICHIGAN+CROSS+COUNTRY+CYCLE+TRAILS

·
Premium Member
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey, I'm a Strommer from the LP, and the safest and most scenic routes to ride for me is M-22 North out of Manistee. Not a 1200 mile course by any stretch, and no trial riding, but it runs for over 125 miles along the coast of Lake Michigan with vista views and quaint resort towns, inland lakes and rivers, and fishing stops all along the way. I'm located about 45 miles South of Traverse City, and I love the riding around here. If you decide to make a loop of the LP next summer, you should look me up, we have LOTS of trails to ride, I'm just to scared to take my baby down them!!:mrgreen:
Yeah man, M-22's a ball. Been down that road a few times. Good recommendation. I'm not sure if I'm going to attempt "the loop" yet though. It looks like it'd be quite a challenge and I'm not crazy about the idea of dingin' up my baby either! I was hoping to get some feedback from a Strommer or two who'd made the route. We'll see.

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
I've been on some of the loop on a 4-wheeler, it's real rough an tight in places. I wouldn't want to try it with my strom. I think some of it I've also been on with a snowmobile.
____
Kyle

·
Registered
81 Posts
I'm a member from Strongsville, Ohio. I ride the 6 days event. I haven't been on many Michigan road rides but if any of them get into some of the trails that we rode for the 6 days it would be real tough on a Strom. If you're not an off road rider to begin with, good luck!
gbritnell

·
Premium Member
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
From the pics I've seen, and from what you guys are saying I'm getting the impression that the trails are probably a bit too much for a Strom and for me.
I don't doubt this to be true, but for better or (probably) worse I sometimes tend to want to do things more when I'm told it's not a G:shock::shock:D idea.

Maybe what I'll do is a little recon on the trail and see how it goes. Maybe rack up some some extra off-road hours with the TKC's before trying it. If/when that happens, and if I'm not dead-set on going it alone, I'll start a thread and see if anyone else would like to check it out with me. Spring/Summer is a long way off and there's plenty of time to mull this over.

Much appreciated.

Strom Yooper: How'd you bust up your ride? You willing to bust up another?:D

gbritnell: What kind of motorcycle did you the 6 days on? Can you describe some of the conditions that would be real tough on a Strom? Have any pics?

·
Registered
81 Posts
I rode a DRZ 400 E. There's not much elevation change but the big problem would be the sand. With a top heavy bike like the Strom it would be rough going in some areas. Here again I can't comment on where you are riding I can only speak of the area that I rode. It's great fun on a dual sport bike like the DRZ.

Attachments

·
Administrator
16,957 Posts
I moved it obviously!!!!!:mrgreen: As for this ride, I would love to do it someday. When I finish the necessary mods on my DR650........I will head up there.

·
Premium Member
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I moved it obviously!!!!!:mrgreen: As for this ride, I would love to do it someday. When I finish the necessary mods on my DR650........I will head up there.
Well, for moving the thread I say thank you kindly Mr Big. Now, is there anything you can do to make the emperor put the $ in my Stromtrooper designation? Darn it I need recognition man, and I may be in Michigan, but I was born ahia!

As for the ride, I've been thinking about a DR too. A buddy at work let me take a spin on his 400 and it sure felt nimble. I probably wouldn't even think of doing the ride on the Strom if I had the DR, but to clarify, on the Vee: We're talking about an aired-down, TKC-shod, low-preloaded, takin' it's sweet time Vee here right? In other words, there's probably NOTHING that can be done to the Vee to make it even "ok" for the task, as far as we know. Right? I'm not disagreeing with anyone on this, just want to make sure we're on the same page with respect to assessing the Stroms suitability for the task.

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
Bent Wheel member here. We're a CCC charter club and hold the annual CCC "Color Tour" in October. I ride my Honda CRF250X on the CCC rides. I would be interested in an adventure sort of ride with pavement and dirt roads and some easier 2-tracks tho.

·
Premium Member
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
an adventure sort of ride with pavement and dirt roads and some easier 2-tracks tho.
Hi DrDale,
I think that's the sort of thing I'm hoping to piece together from the CCC map book. Come spring (probably late spring when things dry up a bit) I'd like to do a few reconnaissance trips.

Hey, maybe we can get a few folks together for some mixed-surface riding this summer.

·
Banned
53 Posts
Yeah man, M-22's a ball. Been down that road a few times. Good recommendation. I'm not sure if I'm going to attempt "the loop" yet though. It looks like it'd be quite a challenge and I'm not crazy about the idea of dingin' up my baby either! I was hoping to get some feedback from a Strommer or two who'd made the route. We'll see.
If you ever get up this way again, shoot me a pm and let me know when you'll be here! Can you hear the curves calling?:mrgreen:

·
Premium Member
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If you ever get up this way again, shoot me a pm and let me know when you'll be here! Can you hear the curves calling?:mrgreen:
Will do man. I think I've got a Stombuddy sold on the idea of trying some 2-track and maybe some lite-trail with TKC shod tires. I know NOTHING of the trail system except what I've been told and what I've read, but my plan is to focus on the CCC marked trails in the Manistee Natnl. Forest area (your neighborhood). My first couple of trips into the woods'll be a bunch of disorganized stop/go/backtrack nonsense riding, trying to find suitable off-road for the big bike type of stuff mostly. Might turn those trips into overnighters. Hopefully I'll be able to come up with an actual route with paved and unpaved sections that'd be fun on a Strom. Anyway, I'll make it known where I'll be and when, in case anyone else wants to get a little stupid on their Strom in the sand.

·
Registered
1 Posts
no wee single track in LP

Just read the thread. :) I have a wee, 400 drzE, and a place on m-22 (live/work in Grand Rapids).
There is NO WAY you will be able to take your wee down our single track. In comparison, go ride on a sand beach somewhere and include a few telephone poles to ride over. Even the DRZ is pretty heavy/tiring on the whoops if U ride the tops (for me):( I raced two stroke 250's in my younger days, and that again would have been a better choice, but I do more exploring. Something in the 230 lb range is most enjoyable in the sand. That said, a tourance shod wee can sport ride M-22 and all the gravel you care to explore. To step into the suger sand you need the knobbies and then I don't think the wee can do it for most mortals (I have not tried it) plus the knobbies kill your sport touring fun.

I love traveling all over Benzie and Leelanau Counties. On my (new) wee I now can go on any of the gravel packed dirt roads. The few seasonal roads I have tried were not much fun keeping the wee on two wheels, but I have not tried knobbies, and doubt I will, cause I like railing on the tourances. Last spring a cougar crossed the gravel road in front of me in the national forest.

If you get a dirt bike you can't go wrong hooking up with the MI cycle conservation club. Check out their web site.
Spud:D

·
Premium Member
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just read the thread. :) I have a wee, 400 drzE, and a place on m-22 (live/work in Grand Rapids).
There is NO WAY you will be able to take your wee down our single track. In comparison, go ride on a sand beach somewhere and include a few telephone poles to ride over. Even the DRZ is pretty heavy/tiring on the whoops if U ride the tops (for me):( I raced two stroke 250's in my younger days, and that again would have been a better choice, but I do more exploring. Something in the 230 lb range is most enjoyable in the sand. That said, a tourance shod wee can sport ride M-22 and all the gravel you care to explore. To step into the suger sand you need the knobbies and then I don't think the wee can do it for most mortals (I have not tried it) plus the knobbies kill your sport touring fun.

I love traveling all over Benzie and Leelanau Counties. On my (new) wee I now can go on any of the gravel packed dirt roads. The few seasonal roads I have tried were not much fun keeping the wee on two wheels, but I have not tried knobbies, and doubt I will, cause I like railing on the tourances. Last spring a cougar crossed the gravel road in front of me in the national forest.

If you get a dirt bike you can't go wrong hooking up with the MI cycle conservation club. Check out their web site.
Spud:D
It's funny how you think I presume to ride sandy whoop'd single-track strewn with downed telephone pole-size trees on a DL with knobbies...:shock:

Glad you like your DL though. M22's fun.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts