StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there any Canucks out there with K7 Wee's?....if so, are you experiencing some of the problems that our American brethren are?

Reason I ask is...my K5 will have well over 100,000km at the end of the summer and will be looking for a new mount next year. It seems the K7 is having rideability issues, i.e., stuttering, surging, stalling, etc.

My bike has been 100% reliable since new, never been back to the shop and I dont think I want to get another Wee if there will be fuel related problems.

Perhaps the K8 will have these issues solved, and perhaps the Canadian K7 doesnt have the same problems as the American issued Wee.

Is there a Tiger in my future.....?

Cheers

·
Registered
62 Posts
All good here

I picked up my Wee end of March and have over 5000km as of yesterday and have had NO problems. She's out today on the way to Ottawa with the hubby for another 500+kms today (his K5 is going in for service on Friday so he took mine-I honestly think he prefers the blue to gray and won't admit it LOL.) So chalk one up for problem free Wee.

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He should prefer the Blue, as you know, its wayyyyyyyy faster.

Cheers!

·
Premium Member
159 Posts
I've had mine since March. There is a wee bit of surging but it's barely noticable. I had a 1200 BMW previously and it had more surging.

The only time the V-Strom stalled was when I forgot to shift to 1st at a stop light (read this as user error).

I've loved this bike from the first day I brought it home!!

·
Registered
102 Posts
No problems so far

I haven't experienced any problems in the first 5000 km. Maybe I just don't know what to look for! ;-)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Mine has 3000 KM.

Stuttering? No.
Stalling? No
Surging? - Yes. Up until 2000KM is would surge at low RPMs. Not sure if it was the bike or just my inability to control the EFI. It does not surge any longer. Not sure if it's the bike or I developed a steady hand.

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I hear ya Heavy, loud and clear.

So far, it would seem that this could be an American issue on the K7.

I dearly luv my Wee, and would buy another next year, if it werent for that darn Triumph.

Its a good thing Manitoba winters are long, gives me time to completely mull it over.

Cheers!

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
I have over 7000 miles on my K7 with no complaints. I haven't seen many issues reported with 650K7s other than noises.

·
Registered
475 Posts
He should prefer the Blue, as you know, its wayyyyyyyy faster.

Cheers!
??? Ya think??? Ummm nope. the blue ain't no faster... :twisted:

My 05 "sleeper grey" will out run the "blue slug" any day. lol

( actually in truth the 05 and 07 are so close I can't tell which is quicker)

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
wee

after two months the only glitch i have had was while cold i opened the throttle while leaveing a parking spot, tiny bit of hesitation nothing like a carb would do just one second of not enough gas feeling

·
Registered
984 Posts
Problems?

I'm a Canadian but not living in my home and native land. I have an '07 Wee and have not experienced a problem of any kind. Sure the shifting is a tad sloppy but so what. I have yet to own the perfect bike. My Wee is a great all around, do-it-all bike and I'm having a blast. Last night on the way to work I dodged traffic lights by zipping through empty mall parking lots. It's a real UAV (Urban Assault Vehicle). The last time I owned a bike that was just plain balls out fun was my Yamaha RD350LC.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My experience is that of others on the board... bought my K7 at the end of March and have put 8K Km on it city, freeway, and crossed all the major mountain passes in AB/BC with no issues whatsoever.

By surging - do mean hard to keep a constant speed at slow speeds (30Kmh)? If so, yes I guess but I try never to go that slow!:p

·
Registered
32 Posts
DL650A since May ... 11,000 kms. No problems... (I had some fairing fastener issues but this is really unrelated and (now) a minor frustration).

Maybe the issues were related to early production in 2006 of the 07?

QUESTION: 100,000kms - is it giving you problems or are you expecting to have to spend money on it to keep it in good shape - if so, what type of work is needed??

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hard to keep speed at 30km...coming back on throttle

My experience is that of others on the board... bought my K7 at the end of March and have put 8K Km on it city, freeway, and crossed all the major mountain passes in AB/BC with no issues whatsoever.

By surging - do mean hard to keep a constant speed at slow speeds (30Kmh)? If so, yes I guess but I try never to go that slow!:p
This is my first bike and is this a rider issue on this particular (or maybe all) bike(s)? I find that I have to keep the revs higher than I would expect (so what, I just need more experience, right???) when trying to take sharp corners at a decent speed; otherwise, smoothly applying maintenance throttle (after the throttle has been closed this is adding throttle to maintain a smooth corner speed) is very difficult and sometimes I end up using the clutch if I haven't set the revs correctly (using the clutch seems like a bad/unnecessary technique in this situation). It seems like there should be more margin for making the necessary throttle adjustment without having to use so much engine breaking before the corner to keep the revs high OR maybe I need to flick the bike harder. I would be interested to hear from others on their techniques or those experienced with other motorcycles.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
Brake and downshift before the corner. Accelerate through the corner. Most riders brake too late and some may even drift through the corner to keep their speed manageable. Keep the revs up for performance.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yes, I think we are talking about the same thing. I have no problems out on the highway, but in heavy traffic it can be tiresome - I find keeping the revs up the easiest but end up using clutch when I really would rather not. I am still learning (aren't we all) so hope to get much better with time.:)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts