StromTrooper banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my first bike 2006 v strom dl650. Can anyone recommend a good rear tire that won't break the bank? I don't do any off road really just commute. Don't much cash as i spent a good feel buying riding gear. I've been looking at Shinko.

·
Registered
15,542 Posts
Stinko Shinko is a good tire, The new front feels heavy to initiate a turn but the rear sticks well. Good value for the price.

·
Registered
248 Posts
dunlop?

I'm running a Dunlop Trailmax TR91 combo which hasn't been reviewed too much on Stromtroopers.

It appears to be much more road biased by the tread pattern, but the guy at Revzilla says it's (80/20).

I'm not noticing particularly exceptional durability but also not burning through it. I've plenty of tread on the outside of the tires after 5k+ miles, but the middle of the rear tire is starting to flatten out (the front still looks good). I do ride the freeways pretty frequently).

Grip is excellent, good wet traction good (silica-gel compound), and I can't really complain about their performance.

Dunlop Trailmax TR91 Rear Tires - RevZilla

I do recommended them but don't have much to compare it to. I'm not a huge fan of the Bridgestone's, but they have gotten good reviews here.

·
Premium Member
928 Posts
I may go with Shinko's road tire "712" for my next rear. It's almost 1/3 the price of a PR4 or the Anakee 3 I'll be replacing and folks here have given it good reviews. I figure if I get 6k miles out of one or more, that's the break even number for miles/dollar vs. the A3.

·
Registered
2,941 Posts
I may go with Shinko's road tire "712" for my next rear. It's almost 1/3 the price of a PR4 or the Anakee 3 I'll be replacing and folks here have given it good reviews. I figure if I get 6k miles out of one or more, that's the break even number for miles/dollar vs. the A3.
It is much cheaper, but it's bias, not radial.

·
Registered
2,941 Posts
There is a good deal on Bridgestone Battlewing right now. I just got one. I used to have one and was very happy with it. Got good mileage out of it as well. If interested send me PM.

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
I'm using Continental conti trail attack. They have done 13000Kl and looks like they might do another 13000KL. I find them a very good tyre.My Wee felt like a different,better,bike with these on. I do no off road riding. I got front and back from Rocky Mountain ATV/MC for $330 Australian including delivery. In Australia I was quoted $540 Aust. The Battle Wings lasted about12500Kl.:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Bridgestone BattleWings are a great value, around $215 for a set online at Chapperal. I don't notice them being better or worse than the stock TW or Conti Trail Attacks as far as handing or feel, but they're lasting longer than the TW's for me. I had Michelin PR3's on another bike which greatly improved feel and handling on that bike. I imagine the new PR4's will be an upgrade for street riding if you want to shell out about another $100 for a set over the BW's.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I've ridden the Shinko 705s and liked them a lot. Great handling--enough grip to scrape pegs on the street--and average wear. I got about 6K mi out of the rear and had 7.5K on the front when I changed it, mostly due to feathering (still had plenty of tread). They are bit buzzy at speeds between about 25-35 MPH but smooth out at highway speeds. You'll also find they are little un-nerving at first with their on-center feel, but you get used to it quickly and it actually helps with quick tip-in when running the twisties.

I also liked the Battlewings for street use--very smooth and steady, but didn't get the mileage I expected. I've just put on a set of Anakee 3s front and rear and can't say much about 'em as I haven't had the opportunity to put a lot of miles on yet or push them on the road. They, too, are a little buzzy at around-town speeds.

Now, if we can just get rid of this sub-zero cold, I could go riding again!!! :furious:

·
Administrator
17,395 Posts
I'm running a Dunlop Trailmax TR91 combo which hasn't been reviewed too much on Stromtroopers.

It appears to be much more road biased by the tread pattern, but the guy at Revzilla says it's (80/20).

I'm not noticing particularly exceptional durability but also not burning through it. I've plenty of tread on the outside of the tires after 5k+ miles, but the middle of the rear tire is starting to flatten out (the front still looks good). I do ride the freeways pretty frequently).

Grip is excellent, good wet traction good (silica-gel compound), and I can't really complain about their performance.

Dunlop Trailmax TR91 Rear Tires - RevZilla

I do recommended them but don't have much to compare it to. I'm not a huge fan of the Bridgestone's, but they have gotten good reviews here.
I am running those currently, perform "all around" pretty well and mileage has been good. They are a bit noisy under 50 MPH but smooth out above that, I would recommend them as a good tire for the Strom. I am a fan of the Battlewing, they are excellent on the road and perform well enough on gravel and hardpack. The Anakee III intrigues me I must admit, I may give them a try next.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts