StromTrooper banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Looking for a good VStrom mechanic in Lawrence Drive (street full of bike shops, for those who don't live on the Gold Coast).

My lights failed on a ride a few days ago. As both went out at once, high & lo beam, I suspect a loose earth somewhere. I've read a few threads and cleaned/checked all the connectors under the air-filter box and behind the front left cowling, disassembled and cleaned the starter button unit, checked the fuses and bulbs. So I'm at the end of my testability. (Everything else works fine: indicators, brake lights, heated grips, bike starts, horn beeps - just the friggin lights).

I know a good mechanic up in Helensvale, and also Mel at Suzuki Burleigh, but hoping there's one in my back yard, in Lawrence Drive.

Does anyone know of a good VStrom mechanic there?

Don't bother telling me to get a relay kit from the USA. Not enough time to order one before my ride to Phillip Island for the Moto GP.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Steve before time runs out altogether you could contact PeteW up at Helensvale. He's a dab hand at getting things working again on Stroms and may have some advice for you.
Failing that you may have to take a short ride up the highway to either of the guys you mentioned.
You could also send a panic email to Eastern Beaver in Hong Kong for your H4 headlight relay kit and it will be here in about four working days (and take about 15 mins to fit) but sorting the underlying cause of the problem first should be a priority I guess.
Good luck. Have a great ride down and hopefully the rotten weather down there has cleared away by then. (Snow in Canberra on Wed night and 10 deg officially but seems like 2-3 with the wind blowing in Goulburn this morning.)
And to think I was swimming at Rainbow Bay four days ago!

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tx, donunder. Sent PeteW a PM and he called me just a short while ago. He's an electrical engineer, lives in Robina. Before he called though, I'd organised for a mobile mechanic to come over in the morning. If he can't fix it I'll take it over to Pete's.

Also had a call from Black Widow and he walked me through "volt meter 101". Found no charge getting to the fuse. So I have a bit of poking around to do there tonight and see if I can fix it before I have to part with $$.

Tx, also, to 'soups' for his comments on fb.

Cheers

·
Registered
924 Posts
Jeez I've been to Pete's place at Robina.
Don't know where Helensvale came from! :confused:
Senior's moment probably.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
The only strom mechanics I know in Qld all hang out at some brewery in Mt Tambourine :biggrinjester:
Hope you get it sorted Steve, and have a great ride to the gp and back :thumbup:

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Tx Don.
Brewery indeed. I only went for the buffet breaky!!

Watch this space. Fingers crossed I'll be able to report 'all fixed' soon ...

·
Registered
260 Posts
The only strom mechanics I know in Qld all hang out at some brewery in Mt Tambourine :biggrinjester:
I still gotta try that place!

Cheers!

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
All fixed. Mobile mechanic, Graham Hull, came over this morning.

Took a little while but he traced it back to a faulty connector. See attached image. It was the black one just to the right of the green ones. Runs up to the starter switch. There's an orange wire for power. When he poked a probe in the socket it was fine but no juice getting up the switch. So he pierced the insulation and sure enough no power in the copper. Tweaked the wire free from the connector block. It looked fine, joined to the metal connector thingy. No visible rust or looseness, but the current was not getting through. A squirt of WD40 and recrimping and viola, lights back on.

I'm a very happy chappy. Now to put the bike back together and get packing for the Moto GP trip.

A big tx to soups, BlackWidow and PeteW for phone calls and emails etc. I really appreciate it.

And I can highly recommend Graham, Mobicycle. He's been in the game for 30 years and impressed me with his methodical trouble shooting. I'd have no hesitation calling him again. Ph 0405 493 092, or [email protected]

Attachments

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Good work Steve or should I say good work Graham, glad it's a goer without to much trouble. Go Casey!!!

·
Registered
924 Posts
Well done Steve.

Nice to have the problem sorted AND pick up a good mechanic as well.
I was having brekky up at you-know-where this morning with my wife (so no Strom) and I was wondering how you were getting on.

Ordered the H4 relay kit from Eastern Beaver yet? :yesnod: Lots less strain on the electrics and slight but noticeable increase in headlight brightness. It's a good mod in my opinion.

Have a safe ride to the Island.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Have ordered the relay

Well, after running ok for a while, the lights cut out again on the ride this last weekend. On, off, on, off ...

I have now ordered the relay kit from Eastern Beaver.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
DISAPPOINTED.

Installed the Beaver kit last week and went for a ride this weekend. Lights still playing on again off again. Only happened once that I noticed (coz it's daytime and I'm not looking at the headlights all the time), but shows the issue is not fixed, even with the relay kit.

I was under the impression that the relay kit bypassed all the original Strom wiring but it doesn't. The H4 Coupler plugs into one of the original headlight H4 sockets so that it cuts out on start up (as it should) and connects to the hi/lo switch.

But that means if you had a faulty connection like mine it's still in the equation, even with the relay kit. Bugger.

PeteW explained that the original connector is a bit small for the current draw, can heat up, expand and lose connectivity. That this wouldn't happen with the relay coz not as much current would be going through it. (that's my layman understanding of what he said, could be wrong, sorry Pete).

Whatever, it's back to square one for me.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah, tx v-chops. I had read that thread and did all that. My fault was further along the wiring:

"Took a little while but he traced it back to a faulty connector. See attached image. It was the black one just to the right of the green ones. Runs up to the starter switch. There's an orange wire for power. When he poked a probe in the socket it was fine but no juice getting up the switch. So he pierced the insulation and sure enough no power in the copper. Tweaked the wire free from the connector block. It looked fine, joined to the metal connector thingy. No visible rust or looseness, but the current was not getting through. A squirt of WD40 and recrimping and viola, lights back on."

The new relay still relies on this shonky connector. Think I'll have to rip the connector out and rewire a new one, or lazy way, just hardwire that one faulty wire on the connector.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts