StromTrooper banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have an opportunity to pick one of these up really cheap, wondered if anyone else has one, and if the limited capability is worth it for a first, cheap GPS or if I should save up and buy a better one.

TIA!

·
Administrator
13,193 Posts
I believe electronically it is pretty much the same as the Garmin 60 series but the larger case allows it to float.

If you can, save up for the Cx series as these give you expandability (a 2 gig card Micro SD card can load all of City Navigator North America v8 ) plus they have much better sensitivity so you won't lose the signal in dense over brush, downtown around high-rises, etc.

..Tom

Have an opportunity to pick one of these up really cheap, wondered if anyone else has one, and if the limited capability is worth it for a first, cheap GPS or if I should save up and buy a better one.

TIA!

·
Premium Member
793 Posts
I have a 76S. It is a very good unit, easy to use and gets the job done. That said, I wish I would have forked over the extra dough to get the CSX model. The expandable memory isn't such a big deal, but the color screen is nice, and the reception is 10 times better. I have used both, and my S model will lose and acquire reception multiple times in use, especially in tree cover or cloudy conditions, I have never once lost reception on the csx, no matter what the conditions are.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Gps

I think the Garmin Nuvi or Zumo are far better instruments for setting up routes, viewing maps and finding services. I would hold out for one of the newer instruments.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I think the Garmin Nuvi or Zumo are far better instruments for setting up routes, viewing maps and finding services. I would hold out for one of the newer instruments.
I agree I have the 60CSx and it's great for hiking and backpacking.
I bought it for backpacking and thought I would give it a try on the bike.
And it's great but it is geared towards hiking not biking.

It's not real user friendly on a bike takes a little fooling around with in the computer.

For biking I would look at the Nuvi 200W about $350 or the Zumo series.
Zumo you are talking big bucks about $700 and up.

Just my .02

Fred

·
Registered
21 Posts
I agree with what others have said. I used a 76CS almost daily for a couple of years and it's great. I've got the 76CSx now and it's even better (gets a signal faster and keeps it).

For hiking (and research - what I use them for) they can't be beat. That said they aren't easy to use on a bike.

Cheers, D-Mac

·
Registered
800 Posts
I am thinking of going the multi-purpose hand held route as well. I think that if the available TOPO maps are in adequate resolution that it would be great for:

A BWCA trip
Exploring National Forest Roads
Hiking

And could also be used on the bike in conjunction with a paper map.

As I have no GPS experience, what are your thoughts on the best product for what I am looking to do?

·
Banned
4 Posts
GPS Map76CSx

I upgraded (finally) from a Garmin Legend to the 76CSx (w/2BG micro-SD). Then I loaded the entire US & Canada maps off the City Navigator CD .

I bought this unit for:

- Hiking
- Biking
- Kayaking (floats & has tide station info)
- Auto travel (restaurants, motels, & contact info)
- Backup for my boat (looking to buy this summer)

All in all, a great multi-use device.

Check out the reviews and screen shots at:

www.gpsinformation.net

Chuck

1 - 8 of 8 Posts