StromTrooper banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How hard is it to change the Clutch Basket on the 1000's? I've got a 2002 with 6,000 miles and would like to do the work myself...also, what parts are required? Thanks!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey jshade, thanks for the link it worked great when you posted it but now that I'm getting ready to change the clutch basket, the link won't load...please redirect me to it..thanks!!

·
Registered
961 Posts
Why would you need a clutch at only 6,000 miles? and why do you only have 6000 miles on an 02?I have 6000 miles on my 06 bought in Jan o6 and the clutch is fine.

·
Premium Member
1,187 Posts
Lot's of "psoeurs" buying Stroms just as they are buying Harley's and every other brand/model of bike. 23,000+ and my clutch is fine

805gregg said:
Why would you need a clutch at only 6,000 miles? and why do you only have 6000 miles on an 02?I have 6000 miles on my 06 bought in Jan o6 and the clutch is fine.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
805gregg said:
It's not the "clutch" - it's the basket that holds the clutch plates. A well-known and discussed problem on DL1k's.

As for only 6k in 4 years? Now THAT I do not understand!! :p

I've put on over 6k since late Nov on mine!!

·
Premium Member
1,135 Posts
Anybody stop and think maybe he bought the bike used from someone who never had time to ride and got a good deal? :roll:

I thought those were the kind of deals we all looked for 8)

A

·
0 Posts
Night_Wolf said:
Lot's of "psoeurs" buying Stroms just as they are buying Harley's and every other brand/model of bike. 23,000+ and my clutch is fine
Dude, if you're going to be snotty at least get the words right: it's "poser" or "poseur," not "psoeurs."

:roll:

·
Premium Member
4,451 Posts
Arkasha...........relax and take a moment will ya. It was only a spelling mistake, we all make them now and again. Night_Wolf was stating a fact, there are posers everywhere.

M

·
0 Posts
I bought my '02 six months ago with 3K on the clock - thats what I call a good buy. My clutch vibrates between 3000 and 3800 rpm and is getting worse. I took it back to the dealer who said it wasn't vibration -it was just the power coming in!
After that I kind of lost faith in him and I've decided to do the job myself. Unfortunately here in the UK we are known as 'Treasure Island' to the automotive industry as they rob us on everthing they sell and the parts will cost me almost £200. In the US you can get them for $200. Thats a 40% mark up here.
If you need the clutch holding tool M&P sell one at a very reasonable cost

·
Premium Member
1,187 Posts
Gee I guess you have never made a spelling mistake eh :roll: I didn't think there was anything "snotty" in my post. Maybe you could grow a thicker skin or did I hit too close to home for you :roll:

Arkasha_1960 said:
Night_Wolf said:
Dude, if you're going to be snotty at least get the words right: it's "poser" or "poseur," not "psoeurs."

:roll:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The reason that I have to change the clutch basket is that my bike is an '02 and this year had a faulty clutch basket that creates a vibration between 3 and 4 grand on the tach..this was remedied with a new part number clutch basket from early '03 on up to the current year. I guess that gent with the '06 would know all this if he was an informed V-Strommer..perhaps he is a "poseur" ...I think this must be the French spelling for poser...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts