StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Administrator
13,729 Posts
Is anyone else allowed to comment?

Altgough I work just above Toronto and live in what is called "The Greater Toronto Area" (GTA) I can't say I live in Toronto.

Having said that I agree with most of what has been written in that article.

..Tom

·
Premium Member
4,960 Posts
I don't even know where to begin with the article. It is demonstrably an opinion piece by someone with an agenda. Both places are lovely, both place are less than a meter from hell. However, just to piss off the Quebequois, I'll rant a bit.

You'll have to deal with francophones, many of whom are quite nasty to anglophones. It's a fight that's just crazy and will never end.

You have to live in Quebec. If you don't like cold Toronto winters, feel free to deep-freeze in Montreal. Remember the demonstration you saw with a Chrysanthemum frozen in liquid nitrogen, then crushed to teeny, tiny pieces with the gentlest of squeezes? That's Montreal in the winter.

They HATE motorcycles in Quebec. You cannot ride in the winter due to snow tire regulations. It's -illegal-. They don't even have bikes in the Pride Parade. Sucks big time. Really, Quebec is the hell of the motorcycle world.

Nice Old Town, good subway, friendly people if you at least -try- to speak their version of French. (No, it's not the same as France).

They have a hill? Big whoop.

It's a nice place to visit, but living there? Not a chance.

Toronto leaves a lot to be desired, but then I have to wonder why it comes up on the "best places to live in the world" lists over and over, even with Rob Ford. No, don't get me started on Rob Ford.

We have a sh*t subway, but tons of other things that really make it a nice place to live if you have to live in a city.

Oh, and after trying to outlaw any religious ornamentation being worn by civil servants in public, they have a great big cross in their General Assembly. Just a tad confusing...

Quebec is weird, just like Toronto. Flip a coin.

Oh, one last thing, my bong lives in Toronto. Good reason to stay here.:beatnik:

·
Super Moderator
4,615 Posts
Nice Old Town, good subway, friendly people if you at least -try- to speak their version of French. (No, it's not the same as France).
I recall many years ago when I worked with Saudi Telecom, the Bell Canada blokes from Montreal said they would never speak French in Paris as the Parisians derided them. It was OK elsewhere in France.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I've lived my whole life in Quebec and I would never bash Montreal, but never wanted to live there. I must admit I'm a big Habs fan.

·
Registered
22,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yes, well aware of the language, growing up in northern New England, Frog is a second language, and in some families, the first language, my ancestors on my Mom's side are from eastern townships

I've spent plenty of time in Montreal, in college at Paul Smiths, or living in Vermont, I had a choice, I could check out the nite life in Burlington or Plattsburg, or Montreal, easy choice

Never been to Toronto, not even once to drive thru, I did come back from a northern Quebec camping trip thru Ottawa once even got to see the changing of the guard

so is there a real rivalry between Montreal and Toronto ? or is this ThrilList website just tryin to stir sh!t

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Super Moderator
4,615 Posts
My only knowledge of Toronto has been gained by watching Murdoch Mysteries! :mrgreen:

·
Registered
404 Posts
There has been a rivalry between the two places, but nothing compared to Mtl and Quebec City.

·
Premium Member
4,960 Posts
I'm probably going to take some flack for this..but having lived half my life in Quebec, it has the most beautiful women in Canada
Die turncoat! You live in Ontario now and are subject to arrest and imprisonment and a lifelong ban on Timmies if you don't recant this filthy lie.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Die turncoat! You live in Ontario now and are subject to arrest and imprisonment and a lifelong ban on Timmies if you don't recant this filthy lie.
Ok, being banned from entering Canada I'll bite..who or what's a timmies?
Some sort of sexual reference that can't be posted?

·
Premium Member
4,960 Posts
"Timmies" is the Tim Hortons Donut /Coffee Shop chain.
To be accurate, for motorcyclists, Timmies is a nationwide chain of public washrooms that also sells coffee and donuts.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Ok some of the most beautiful women in Canada

Btw..very rare do I drink Tim's coffee.. But I do use their washrooms from time to time

1 - 20 of 29 Posts