StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are heading down to the mountains, eastern WV and south to Asheville, NC. I know there are many motorcycle roads around that area, just wanted some " must see " places or ideas on where to go. We might take the BlueRidge Parkway back home if it's not crowded. Thanks.

·
Registered
982 Posts
There are some great roads just west of Asheville. At least try to get on Route 19 West to Cherokee. It's got tourists, but the twisty roads are a lot of fun. It's kind of far, but if you make it to Route 28 SOUTH to Franklin, you'll have a great time. The road follows along a small river all the way through the thick woods. I actually got nervous because it's so isolated and it just keeps going on and on until it comes out at this little corner store in the middle of nowhere.

Personally, if I was that close and it wasn't on a weekend, I'd head to Deal's Gap and run it a few times.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
No good roads in the area.

All straight, flat and crowded with cages.

PM'd you.

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
I might be.

·
Registered
87 Posts
BRP in either direction out of Asheville = motorcycle heaven. Head North/East out of Asheville and stop at Mt. Mitchell for breakfast, lunch or dinner. Keep going further and vist Grandfather Mountain.

+1 on what bobosmite said too.

Also there are many roads off the BRP that wind through the mountains ... fantastic twisties and plenty of beautiful scenery.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Does BRP still have the detours ? some of them are quite fun either way.

·
Registered
629 Posts
If you're going to be that close, might as well run over to Deals Gap and run the Tail of the Dragon.

Maggie Valley has a very neat motorcycle museum.

The BRP between Cherokee and Ashville is probably the most scenic of the entire parkway, though all of it's good.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the link S N, It sounds like the BRP is a must so I will do it, but only during the week. On the weekends I will take some unknown roads and try to get lost, then me and Mr. Garmin will figure out how to get found again.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
Which bike/bikes do you plan on taking?

GPS? You don't need no stinking GPS.

·
Registered
60 Posts
If you plan on doing the BRP, check at the visitors center or website for closures. I know of one north of Asheville from Craggy Gardens to Mt. Mitchell. Parkway closed due to landslide below the road.

Seems like I heard south to Cherokee there may be another closure, but not sure of that one.

I agree with Stromin' Nroman... flat, dusty, LOTS of cagers... did he mention HOT? Jus sayin'. ;)

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Which bike/bikes do you plan on taking?

GPS? You don't need no stinking GPS.
I think we will take the Wing.........is it OK to say that on a V-Strom forum??

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
WNC Roads

Hwy 80 South and North of the BRP East of Asheville
Hwy 215 and 276 off BRP West of Asheville
Hwy 209 West of Asheville up to Madison County
Hwy 129/28 near Deals Gaps
ride the "Dragon" section on a week day.
Hwy 143 (NC)/165 (Tenn) Cherahalla Skyway
Hwy 68/60 South to Suches Ga.

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks Elbrown, I printed your road info and will take your advice

·
Premium Member
485 Posts
Oh yes

I just got back from the Vstrom Rally East and road most of these roads. So a BIG +1 for what elbrown said.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I think we will take the Wing.........is it OK to say that on a V-Strom forum??
El Bando,
I sold my wing for a wee-strom and some extra $. The wee is an awesome bike and I am having a alot of fun riding it. I dont know when you plan on traveling down there but I am heading down to Apple-cade in Virginia this weekend. http://www.apple-cade.org/ Will be alot of wings there and some good riding.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts