StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am sold on the V Strom 650.

I definitely want to outfit it for Adventure/Touring. I plan to use it primarily on paved roads, but want to venture off the paved path occasionally.

Should I get the base model and outfit it with third party crash bars and panniers, or get the adventure model with the OEM parts?

Also, does anyone have any general lessons learned about their purchase that they might want to share before I commit?

Thanks.

·
Registered
877 Posts
I am sold on the V Strom 650.

I definitely want to outfit it for Adventure/Touring. I plan to use it primarily on paved roads, but want to venture off the paved path occasionally.

Should I get the base model and outfit it with third party crash bars and panniers, or get the adventure model with the OEM parts?

Also, does anyone have any general lessons learned about their purchase that they might want to share before I commit?

Thanks.
Welcome! I have the adventure model. The windscreen is not adequate, the crash bars vibrate and are prone to fatigue failures, and the side cases make more resonant noise than the exhaust on the freeway (but I still like the sidecases, at least.) You can do better/cheaper with aftermarket accessories. I would have preferred the other route, but it was just easier to sell the the wife, especially with 0% financing. I think 0% is gone for now, but I haven't checked in a while.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I bought the plain version but had them put on the crash bars. Glad I did because I tipped it over two months after I got it. Snapped the tip of the brake lever, but otherwise just scratched the bars. If I'd waited I probably wouldn't have had a set on yet.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
423 Posts
Welcome! I have the adventure model. The windscreen is not adequate, the crash bars vibrate and are prone to fatigue failures, and the side cases make more resonant noise than the exhaust on the freeway (but I still like the sidecases, at least.) You can do better/cheaper with aftermarket accessories. I would have preferred the other route, but it was just easier to sell the the wife, especially with 0% financing. I think 0% is gone for now, but I haven't checked in a while.
I have the Adventure model, too. I have about the same impression as this poster, but, I haven't had any vibration nor fatigue failures at this point. By the time I put on a Madstad bracket and screen, top box, bash-plate, I probably would have done better dollar-for-dollar to go with the base model and add the other pieces. It is a FINE bike, though. I really enjoy mine.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Just pick one out and run, don't walk, to the dealer to get it. You'll have a great bike either way. Then be prepared for Farkleitis to set in.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Go with the non-adventure model

Get the normal model and then buy aftermarket crash bars. From what people are saying, the OEM crashbars develop cracks without the bike ever being dropped (likely due to vibration) and they bend if you do drop the bike.

When I bought mine (September 2013), Suzuki was throwing in the adventure model panniers for free with the normal model. I'm not sure if that deal is still going on, but it probably means that you will be able to find panniers for sale from folks who don't want them. :thumbup:

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
I think the "base" model is a better value (and subjectively, comes in better colors).

I also think there are better, more svelte luggage options than the OEM / Trax stuff.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
Buy the plain version and set it up yourself. Much better choices that way. Do you really want a bike that is 4 feet wide? My last cage was only 5 feet wide!

·
Registered
115 Posts
I bought the standard model and added ebay side racks and soft bags, a
heated vest/battery trickle charger/and air compressor outlet, oem hand guard set, sheep skin seat cover. All I need to add now are center stand , skid plate and crash bars and I should be done. But I am also considering extra lighting and heated grips. I just found the adventure bags too wide and the plastic belly pan too flimsy. I guess I like to add my own accessories. Either way your getting a great bike.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I purchased the Adv model because the money was just better on it. Only pd about 800 more for it over the std model. But I have been pretty disappointed with the "factory fitted accessories". If I had a do over, I'd probably go std and fit it how I wanted.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Pretty much what others have said. I would only add that the Adv windscreen does work well for some, me included. Most under 6 feet tall like it as long as your not racking up the miles on the interstate. You can do better in the aftermarket when it comes to the crash bars. Guess it comes down to the deal you can get on the different models.

I did see the new red DL650 at the motorcycle show tonight and love it and I really don't like red bikes.
Red only comes on the base model.
Happy hunting.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I ended up with a 2012 ADV model because it's all the dealer had and it was a demo so they priced it like a standard. $8300 I believe, with 26 miles after my test ride.

Anyway, the Trax boxes suck. The tops get dimpled and dented in no time, but they're good for storage. I leave them off though for daily use because they're entirely too wide.

The windshield works great for me (5'6"), and I like the way the crash bars look on the all black bike.

I wouldn't chase after the ADV if you have the option, unless you end up with a great deal on one. Overall the bike is wonderful, smooth as butter with power everywhere you need it. It is just a joy to ride, every day, even in horrible cold rain (like today). :biggrinjester:

·
Registered
151 Posts
Either way, you'll end up with a great bike. I opted for a new 2013 Adventure. Grey Metallic which was not offered on the 13' base model. Yes the hard bags stick out further than most but they hold allot of gear and a top loading box is what I wanted. The bike is pretty much turn key and I didn't have the patience to outfit it one item at a time. Put a skid plate and hand guards on it and your ready for camping.

Have fun!
Craig.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Either way, you'll end up with a great bike. I opted for a new 2013 Adventure. Grey Metallic which was not offered on the 13' base model. Yes the hard bags stick out further than most but they hold allot of gear and a top loading box is what I wanted. The bike is pretty much turn key and I didn't have the patience to outfit it one item at a time. Put a skid plate and hand guards on it and your ready for camping.

Have fun!
Craig.
Right on!

I was lucky to find a leftover '12 ADV model. I got it as a steal. Also 0% made more sense in terms of the ADV model. If you are short on cash, you won't find an easier way to have some of these basic farkles on the bike with 0%. Are you likely to shell out $1000 on luggage, crashbars windscreen aqfter you buy the bike?

Not likely.

I just added Enduro guardian skid plate, radiator guard, Moose racing hand guards and you are ready to take the bike for some light off roading.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I have the ADV model and the windscreen is great for me. The boxes are huge and they pop right off easily so I only use them when traveling.

I replaced the stock seat but that was more for my wife.

What I've learned is that it's a great bike that's a blast to ride!

I'm very happy with my purchase and it was not not having to look for extras.

crash bars are important if you'll be venturing on the dirt. dirt roads are highly addictive, there are 1000s of miles of them around me.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Ever notice how honest people are about these bikes? There seems to be no need by those of us that bought the ADV model to claim it was the 100% best thing to do. Refreshing change from so many other bike (or, fill in the blank) forums. :thumbup:

·
Registered
358 Posts
I like my adventure model and have had no issues with the crash bars and haven't noticed unusual vibration. I may not spend much time at the reported bad vibe RPM range. The crash bars have held up well but I only have a bit over 4K on the bike. I find the wind screen to be marginally adequate with my larger spoiler. It's clearly not a fully faired bike and doesn't ride like one. My other distance bike is an old Kaw C10 with lots of wind protection. Both bikes are, what they are. If you want total wind protection buy a bike designed for that. JMHO

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Ever notice how honest people are about these bikes? There seems to be no need by those of us that bought the ADV model to claim it was the 100% best thing to do. Refreshing change from so many other bike (or, fill in the blank) forums. :thumbup:
I agree! Now on to aftermarket windscreens, I just bought a Givi 3101DT windshield, it is several inches taller and a little wider than stock, pretty much keeps all the air off of me at the highest setting, but I still have a little turbulence at the top of my head. I am 6' 0".

I will definitely keep it on throughout the winter.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I can say that I absolutely would've bought a standard model had it been available and also discounted for being a demo.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts