StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Buell ulysses and vstrom have been suggested as "tall people bikes". There are multiple reasons i am not excited by the buell.
I'm looking for experiences/suggesstions from people who are 6'4" and above.
I'm 6'6" 250.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I am a little below your height at 6'3"/265 lbs. however, I was in your shoes. I tested both the Uly & Wee and ended up with the Wee. Nothing against the Uly, however, the Wee just fit me better and was better suited to my type of driving (road vs. off-road). Good luck with you search.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Im 6'5" 260 with a 32 inseam so I'm mostly torso. The Strom is the only bike I really feel comfortable on

·
Registered
478 Posts
Im 6'5" 260 with a 32 inseam so I'm mostly torso. The Strom is the only bike I really feel comfortable on
+1... I'm only 6'2", 250ish, but felt cramped on my F650GS - the DL1000 feels built for a larger cowboy.

·
Registered
748 Posts
6'4" 280 lbs,
I prefer my DL1000 seat and barbacks to stock,but I love my weestrom,very comfortable

·
Off Wee-ing in the woods
676 Posts
I'm 6'6" 345# 34" inseam and gorilla arms

I've had to do several mods to make the bike fit me, but I was able to get it dialed in pretty well. I started from mile 1 with a 1k seat. Then I can a custom seat made that raised the seat another 1.5" and moved the "sitting" area back to where the ridge between the pillion seat used to be. I switched to moose Cr-Hi bars with 2 sets of touratech 35mm risers stacked on top of each other. I also had a friend machine a couple brackets that lower the foot pegs 1" with out effecting the peg to control relationship.

·
Registered
539 Posts
6'-5" 260#
38" inseam

DL650, Suzuki gel seat and Moose CR high bars.
Fits me very well, but may add a bar riser so standing is less bent over.

·
Premium Member
1,019 Posts
6'5" at 285lb, and LOVE the Wee. I got the Gel seat and it made my knee much better. Things still get a little tight on my knee. I was thinking of lowering my pegs, but I scrape my boot as it is. I also want to get higher handle bars. Compared to the rest of the bikes I tried out, the Wee fits like a GLOVE and needs VERY FEW mods to fit my big frame.

·
Registered
424 Posts
mods

6'4" 300 34" inseam DL1000 Russell Day long raised up and back 1" Just ordered the Motorcycle Larry's lowering kit for the pegs. Had a Corbin 1 up an back for 30,000 + miles OK but wanted better on my 08. It is a tall man's bike.
I am going to put the risers back on this one. Ergonomics have been the best on this bike. Tried the ST and the GW. The only one that I found close to feeling like it fit was an RT. Champagne taste beer pocketbook. The V is in the garage. 45,000 on the 03 traded for the 08. Still like it.
Mike

·
Registered
31 Posts
Try giving Cud_Killer

Give Cuda_Killer a pm and he can give you his take...He's a TALL guy, like touch the basketball rim flat footed tall.

·
Premium Member
4,198 Posts
Buell ulysses and vstrom have been suggested as "tall people bikes". There are multiple reasons i am not excited by the buell.
I'm looking for experiences/suggesstions from people who are 6'4" and above.
I'm 6'6" 250.
Hey, I notice you list Iraq as well as Tucson. Is that because Iraq is cooler in the summer, or?;)

Uly's are very cool bikes, but for all around use the less-expensive, water-cooled, commuter-friendly Strom has a lot of advantages.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I'm 6'5" 200 lbs and 36" inseam. The DL650 fits me very well and the only size mods I've made has been to replace the shield with a Windstrom tall shield. That made a world of difference. I have a Madstad bracket on order which I hope will eliminate most of the remaining wind issues. I haven't felt a need to lower the pegs and have over 9000 miles on the bike now, including a 4900 mile summer tour.

Thanks for serving in Iraq.

·
Registered
271 Posts
6'8" 350 lbs

Love my strom, I had a 1000 seat and am going to lower the pegs, I would also like a taller shield, and wider bars.. then it would be perfect:)

·
Registered
80 Posts
Cuda has me beat... I'm a munchkin at 6'7" and 300 lbs. I have all stock hardware except for a Corbin with an Alaskan Leathers Butt pad.

Have a Givi windscreen and MadStad on order. Pegs could stand to be lowered but they are what they are and I'm OK with them. Will be switching to some sort of IMS peg for more boot sole surface area for stability.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Any of you tall guys try riding a FJR or a Connie 14? Ive been toying with the idea of getting something a bit more sport oriented and these two seem to be a bit bigger than most.
I rode my friends FJR (04 model) and actually had a deposit on one before I changed my mind and went with a Strom. The only issue I had in the 100 miles I rode it was my knees hitting the fairing edge from time to time. I'm not sure but I think the newer FJR have adjustable seats? If not, an aftermarket seat that was a little taller might be a fix. It's been 3 years since I rode it, but that is all I can recall being an issue on that somewhat short ride.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Cuda has me beat... I'm a munchkin at 6'7" and 300 lbs. .
you need to learn how to clean your plate son, lol

all these 300 lb boys on these 650s. we prob look like shriners, LOL:D
I am always surprised at the power this bike has. it will go much faster than I ever want it to. 1000 seat made a big diffrence to me.

·
Registered
1 Posts
What a relief.....

I am SO glad to find this thread. I have been debating between a KLR650, a versys or the V-strom 650 and you guys don"t realize how much you have helped.
I am 6'10" and 225lbs and you have just made me lean so much more toward the V-Strom
Cheers
Cooper

1 - 20 of 37 Posts