StromTrooper banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2022 1050
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a post from the general topics but thought I should also put it in a bike specific forum.
Howdy VS Enthusiasts,
I've had this 1050 for a couple months now (3k kilometers) & love the bike; however, the ticking & light knocking is driving me nuts. Worse then most of my Harley'.
Coming out of breakin I've been running it harder & in hotter temps, which is when it occurs. I'm in Thailand where it's plenty hot & no dealers around. Startup & cool temps I only hear the cam chains (no worries). I've even changed the oil/filter again since 1st service from 10w40 to a 10w50 (Valvoline VR1 SN MA-2 full synthetic) to no avail. I also ruled out exhaust leaks & any engine contact throughout the bike. Engine temp never goes any higher then 3 bars & coolant level is good.
Yesterday I took the side covers off, ran the bike to full operating temp, parked idleing until the fan started, took the videos and went to work with my stethoscope. It was hard to tell but the ticking (more of & faster) & light knocking (slower) seem more prominent around the top end/cams area.
I also made 3 short videos to compare my statement with. Turn your sound up, it's harder to hear in these videos vs the originals. Please review & let me know if I've become obsessed over nothing or have something that may need attention. Thanks in advance!
video 20220802 064542
video 20220802 064458
video 20220802 064341

·
Premium Member
179 Posts
Could be a few things, at worst I would say it's a timing chain that might be a tad loose. But before a cam chain really becomes a concern they usually give you a lot more audible notification of them being loose. You might walk through the cam chain tightening procedure to remove all noise, but again, I believe it's nothing to obsess over. For all I know mine makes the same racket when it's running. But since I have my ear plugs in and helmet on by the time it's up to operating temp, I wouldn't know.

You bought a Suzuki, not a Euro bike. Chill and ride brother.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I agree with the others.

I have a new 650 XT, from 2021, and the noise is very similar to what you show.

Surely the timing chain on the Vstroms comes somewhat loose as standard.. but that's not a problem.

Believe me, I know what a loose timing chain sounds like (because the automatic tensioner wears out and doesn't tighten), and the sound is much more audible, like little balls in a bottle constantly banging around.

From what I see, you are like me, somewhat of a perfectionist and maniac with the machines you own. My advice : If the bike works well, forget the noises.

Or as my Spanish mechanic says : Gato que mueve cascabel, gato que está vivo (cat that moves rattle, cat that is alive).

·
Registered
37 Posts
Sounds like mine. I was worried about a ticking noise a year ago, the delaer looked at me strangely. Engines are moving things, their noise change as you use them. My vstrom had that lovely whirring sound when I bought it - just like yours. I'm not sure I can hear it again, it feels a bit more clunky now after 12k miles. It's just how it is, I think.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I think vstroms are noisy bikes, and those of us who have bought a new bike have a problem :

We get used to the perfect sound of a new born engine.

When the miles go by, everything starts to sound abruptly, and we get scared.

I guess this will not be so common in owners of second hand motorcycles.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I think vstroms are noisy bikes, and those of us who have bought a new bike have a problem :

We get used to the perfect sound of a new born engine.

When the miles go by, everything starts to sound abruptly, and we get scared.

I guess this will not be so common in owners of second hand motorcycles.
Totally agree. They're very noisy bikes - too noisy imo.

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
It's a very unrefined engine, just have to learn to live with it or trade it in. Nothing is wrong with it.

Reactions: bearing and V-Tom

·
Administrator
14,933 Posts
I had the same problem...Look in the oil glass, and if you see one of these, that's where the ticking is coming from ;)
I think your clock is not aligned properly!

..Tom

·
Administrator
14,933 Posts
I've had this 1050 for a couple months now (3k kilometers) & love the bike; however, the ticking & light knocking is driving me nuts. Worse then most of my Harley'.
As many have said the engine is making sounds that most of us would say is normal. I have over 700,000 km of riding Stroms (two DL650's, a 2015 DL1000 and a DL1050) and they all made sounds like that. If anything yours sounds quieter than mine but perhaps some of the noise is lost in the video.

..Tom

·
Registered
70 Posts
Could be a few things, at worst I would say it's a timing chain that might be a tad loose. But before a cam chain really becomes a concern they usually give you a lot more audible notification of them being loose. You might walk through the cam chain tightening procedure to remove all noise, but again, I believe it's nothing to obsess over. For all I know mine makes the same racket when it's running. But since I have my ear plugs in and helmet on by the time it's up to operating temp, I wouldn't know.

You bought a Suzuki, not a Euro bike. Chill and ride brother.
aka "put in ear plugs" ;)

• Haha
Reactions: TimmyTheHog

·
Administrator
14,933 Posts
Mine needed a valve job from factory, smoothed stuff out a little, little more power and efficient. End of day, it's still loud and vibraty.
A valve job or valves adjusted? Big difference.

..Tom

1 - 20 of 24 Posts