StromTrooper banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Replaced the OEM lead acid battery that came on 2017 Vsrtom 650XT with an Antigravity ATX-12-HD-RS High-Power Lithium RE-START Battery. Anexact fit for 2017 Vsrtom 650XT... $224.48 on Amazon... Two extra +/- electrodes allowed me to separate accessory cables from cables required to run bike... Weight = 2.5 LB

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
It will start like you've never experienced before.

·
Administrator
5,378 Posts
They may be great to lower your bike weight and C.O.G. but if and when the battery does go down you cannot push start the bike. A flat battery means no power to the electronics and fuel pump.
I'm thinking that a charged battery pack becomes a necessity.
I'll stick to my AGM battery, thanks very much.

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
What!!!! - you can't bump start regardless with a completely dead battery and if there is enough charge left to get the basics working it will bump start with the lithium. You should be carrying a jump battery anyways for all sorts of other reasons.

On a fuel injected bike, you have you pressurize the fuel system, initiate the computer and sensors and have enough juice left over to fire the ignition system. If you have a dead battery, you aren’t going to be able to do all of this in the time you have to push start the bike, unless you have a very long hill to coast down in a tall gear. You would have to get the rear wheel to turn the engine long enough for the system generator to produce enough power to operate the fuel pump, computers, sensors and ignition system. Taking the fuses out for the lights would help and if you just have a weak battery, you might just get the job done.
4 years in and despite sitting for months the KLR starts instantly .....so did the CBF1000 - like it had never done with a standard battery.

·
Premium Member
295 Posts
In the past when I let an Lithium battery drain completely down (in this case it was a stuck radiator fan switch on my Beta) they are pretty much toast. I could not recharge after it was completely flat.

The other thing about Lithium batteries is they work very strange when the weather gets cold. They will barely turn over your bike for a little bit. But as you place load on them the chemistry begins to wake up and they start cranking better.

On my WR250R and KTM 450 EXC I run lithium batteries and so far no issues with the WRR. It will start right up after sitting for a long period as long as it is warm out. If it drops much under 35F then it needs a little coaxing. Haven't had the one installed on the KTM long enough to know how it will behave.

On my Ninja 650R and DL650 I tend to stick with an AGM battery since the weight savings for the price point just don't do much on a bigger bike for me. I can be a cheap bastard.

·
Premium Member
735 Posts
That sure is light. What does the stock battery weigh?

·
Registered
14,877 Posts
"should be carrying a jump battery anyways for all sorts of other reasons."

Yup an extra $60-$100 for the back up. There are still some good conventional lead-acid batteries on the shelves for less than $100.
It's an ADV bike laden with extra lengths of steel tubes and aluminum and plastic to take you where no man has gone before and there is concern about the extra few pounds a battery may weigh?
When you stop at the Subway for lunch, just get the 6" sandwich, skip the bag of chips!:wink2:

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,264 Posts
If I were running a woods bike where weight was more critical I would certainly consider a Lithium battery.

On a DL 650 or 1000 the difference in weight simply cannot be noticed. Maybe a placebo effect if that.

As mentioned, cold weather can be problematic with lithium batteries.

Lead acid battery tech is way over a century old. Still around. Must be something that works!

·
Administrator
16,811 Posts
If I were running a woods bike where weight was more critical I would certainly consider a Lithium battery.

On a DL 650 or 1000 the difference in weight simply cannot be noticed. Maybe a placebo effect if that.

As mentioned, cold weather can be problematic with lithium batteries.

Lead acid battery tech is way over a century old. Still around. Must be something that works!
Yup....if anything other than AGM were more long lasting and efficient, then why aren't OEM car and motorcycle manufacturers going to them?

·
Premium Member
295 Posts
Yup....if anything other than AGM were more long lasting and efficient, then why aren't OEM car and motorcycle manufacturers going to them?
The simple answer is cost....

However, I believe that some of the higher end plated dirtbikes are moving in that direction.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Cold weather is NOT a "problem" with a good li-ion battery. I have one on my Harley FXRP, whose 100 cubic inch S&S motor can only be started reliably with a li-ion battery. In the morning I turn on the ignition switch and let the bike sit while I put my gloves on and tell my GPS where we're going. That puts a load on the battery and wakes it up. Then I hit the start switch; most of the time the bike fires right up. Occasionally I need a second try after waiting another 30 seconds or so, but it always starts then. On that bike the stock AGM battery weighed 16 lbs, the BikeMaster Li-Ion weighs about 3 lbs.

·
Premium Member
735 Posts
13 pounds is a lot of weight. Interesting.

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
When the LI battery in my MT09 failed I could not ride the bike, it would jump start OK but I had the keep the RPM's above 3500 to keep the motor running and when it was running I could hear all the bikes relays slamming in and out, the risk of a electrical spike to my ECU was too great so I had it trailered home.

When I had my 09 Wee with 7 year old battery instead of a jumper pack I carried a replacement battery, a SSB LI replacement fitted in the tail section under the seat and because they weigh very little it made sense to me to carry the extra battery, there is not enough room under the seat of my V2 to do the same thing.

If you are jumping a bike because the battery has drained flat that is OK but if you are jumping a bike because the battery is stuffed you are risking a power spike, a good battery is like a sponge and will absorb any spikes a stuffed battery can not do that.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts