StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was riding on a two lane road in the center of a small town, going about 35mph. There was a line of traffic come toward me. One of the cars decided to take a left turn into a driveway right in front of me. I was shocked for a second (I couldn't believe he was going to do it). I leaned on the horn and slammed on both brakes. Based on past experience (and I have 44 years of riding experience), I anticipated seizing both wheels, smashing down to the left, and careening into his front bumper. Instead, I stopped like I never stopped before - perfectly upright, no skids, and no loss of control. I stopped about two feet before the side of his car, which was still executing a left turn. The bozo never noticed me. He looked pretty old; I suspect he was half blind. The moral of this story: ABS may have saved my life yesterday. How did I ever do without it?

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
That's the beauty of it. If you hadn't practiced enough to make an emergency stop a reflex action, ABS will keep you from dropping the bike. I'd recommend forgetting about the horn in a situation like that though and put all your focus on braking. Horns are fine if you have time. In a bona fide emergency, stick to crash avoidance maneuvers rather than hoping somebody else will suddenly pay attention and do exactly the right thing in their own emergency situation.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I still get into arguments pretty regularly about the importance of ABS. People believe it is a crutch that will make you a weaker rider, another complicated piece of technology just to fail, and that with ABS you'll never be able to stop as fast as without it.

I don't think they understand that ABS is a backup. It's only going to come on when you need it, it's a very mature technology, and if you never lock up your wheels, it will have zero affect on your braking performance.

Day two of owing my Strom ABS saved me. I was changing into the turning lane to enter a Walmart to buy some Chain Saver. The light was red, and I was preparing to stop when a car immediately cut in front of me and slammed on their brakes. I applied too much pressure on my front brake, skidded on a puddle of motor oil but stopped with plenty of room to spare. Without ABS I think I would have went down.

I'm glad you are ok and not a dent in someone's car.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
yup

and that's why I bought a DL650A (ABS) and sold my DL650.

·
Registered
187 Posts
What greywolf said. Where's the "Like" button?

·
Registered
964 Posts
The ABS has saved me two likely 'downs' so far. It was a deciding factor in getting a new bike.

When it triggers, I don't feel like a dummy for grabbing too much brake, I feel like a genius for having a back-up plan. Mostly, I feel happy that I get to keep going on my way instead of having to deal with a damaged bike and/ or injured body.

·
Registered
358 Posts
On the Blue Ridge Parkway I was getting off on an exit and changed my mind on the direction too late to make the change fully(yeah, poor operator decision). I slowed, easing onto the unpaved triangle at the intersection, planning to take advantage of the stroms light weight and poor terrain capabilities. Surprise! I was expecting the tires to bite into the dry turf, as prior experience has led me to expect, however, the ABS prevented any lockup, or stop, on the unpaved surface letting me glide gently out into the thankfully abandoned rural intersection.

I'm not knocking ABS and agree that it's a great addition, but when not used to it it can have some unexpected results, not all positive. Had kinda similar experience a number of years ago the first time I came (I thought) to a screeching stop on a dirt road in my first ABS equipped car. NO STOP!!! (I do have the Eastern Beaver switch installed)

·
Registered
143 Posts
When I was buying my first bike, SOOOOO many people tried to talk me out of buying one with ABS. I ended up buying an SV650SA, and while I never intended to prove them wrong. The 2nd day I was out, a deer ran out in front of me on one of the few fun curvy roads in Southern Ontario. ABS definitely saved me there.

So of course my V-strom would have ABS after the numerous experiences I had with it on the SV650SA.

That said... there were a couple times in Colorado I wish I could have turned it off, if only on the back wheel. But it's saved me far more times than it hasn't.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
I've been known to scream in my helmet at the dolt turning in front of me.

It works as well as the horn and allows full use of my hands.

OP: I'm glad you were able to exploit the technology that's been quietly waiting for its chance to prove itself. Hope you never need it again.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
skidded on a puddle of motor oil but stopped with plenty of room to spare. Without ABS I think I would have went down.
That's what ABS does. It measures the traction available every coupl'a inches of pavement and limits to you applying something like 98.5% of the max braking for the traction on that surface. An expert rider who applies the brakes perfectly can stop shorter without ABS. Until he hits that oil spot. ABS will adjust the braking faster than the best rider.

Agreed, there are a few times off pavement when it would be better to switch off the ABS.

·
Registered
49 Posts
That's what ABS does. It measures the traction available every coupl'a inches of pavement and limits to you applying something like 98.5% of the max braking for the traction on that surface. An expert rider who applies the brakes perfectly can stop shorter without ABS. Until he hits that oil spot. ABS will adjust the braking faster than the best rider.

Agreed, there are a few times off pavement when it would be better to switch off the ABS.
Yes, if you're on a gravel road, you effectively have no rear brakes. I was on my ABS equipped BMW and was flying up on a sharp left. I hit the rear brake to lock the rear wheel and slide around the corner and the ABS dutifully kept the wheel from locking. Felt like I had no rear brakes. It was everything I could do to get around that corner without crashing into the drainage ditch. Lesson learned: Fireroading requires a different mindset if you can't switch off the ABS.

·
38,103 Posts
You can pull an ABS fuse when off pavement if you want. Do the smaller of the two under the milky white cover, not the spare next to the cover. :yesnod:

·
Registered
358 Posts
After reading all I could find beforehand I determined that the Eastern Beaver method is not the very best solution. However, for those of us who are lazy, it's just so easy there is no excuse for not at least doing the Eastern Beaver. Having to shut off the bike momentarily to reset the ABS when done off road isn't an issue for me.

·
Registered
173 Posts
As others have noted, it does take longer to stop with ABS, but as we can't always determine what the road surface is actually like, the ABS will allow us to still have control ( swerve/turn ) while applying maximum brakes.

Few actually practice emergency braking on their bike under varying road conditions, rain etc, so ABS is really a good option on a motorcycle.

·
Registered
143 Posts
You can pull an ABS fuse when off pavement if you want. Do the smaller of the two under the milky white cover, not the spare next to the cover. :yesnod:
That works? I just assumed that the bike wouldn't start without the fuse in.

·
38,103 Posts
That works? I just assumed that the bike wouldn't start without the fuse in.
The ABS fuses are only for the ABS brakes. The ABS light will stay on and the brakes will functions like standard non-ABS brakes.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I actually used it on my test ride of the bike! When I test rode the bike, the sales man had to go with me and rode a FZ in front of me. I guess he has trying to impress me with his mad riding skills and was hauling butt on some country roads. It was nice as I could see what the bike could do trying to keep up with him but he had a better bike and knew the road. I came up on a turn to fast and there was a tractor in the middle of the road around the turn. There were leaves, damp ground as it just flash snowed and was a little freaky hitting the brakes but all was fine as it was controllable. I will miss the linked braking from my old Goldwing but the Vstrom is a fun ride.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I ride a lot of dirt and the ABS has never given me a problem even on steep descents. If you let it get away from you it might, but not if you maintain control from the beginning. Probably even saved my bacon a couple times. Al

1 - 20 of 40 Posts