StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, folks, I pretty much regularly get foggy visor when I stop for a light on a cool day. Normal, right? I see all sorts of solutions and I've tried two masks, the BILT Fog Shield Mask and the Raider 26-991 MX-Breath Deflector. Neither of them fit my helmet. Pinlock looks promising but I cannot find one for BILT. I was wondering if anyone has tried the FogCity stick-on inserts. Do they work? Do they last? For $30 I'm hoping so but since they seem to have some sort of coating on them, I'm afraid I'll go through them frequently. In scuba, you rub stuff on your goggles but that stuff never seems to work well and I'd like to not have to do that every time I ride to the grocery store or whatever.
Thoughts? Thanks

·
Premium Member
607 Posts
Hi, folks, I pretty much regularly get foggy visor when I stop for a light on a cool day. Normal, right? I see all sorts of solutions and I've tried two masks, the BILT Fog Shield Mask and the Raider 26-991 MX-Breath Deflector. Neither of them fit my helmet. Pinlock looks promising but I cannot find one for BILT. I was wondering if anyone has tried the FogCity stick-on inserts. Do they work? Do they last? For $30 I'm hoping so but since they seem to have some sort of coating on them, I'm afraid I'll go through them frequently. In scuba, you rub stuff on your goggles but that stuff never seems to work well and I'd like to not have to do that every time I ride to the grocery store or whatever.
Thoughts? Thanks
I have a friend who used the "Fog City" shield insert for years and was very pleased with how well it worked. I'm presently wearing a Shoie Neotech which came with the Pinlok and it works great.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
I've been using fog city inserts for probably 15 years. They work great and are cheap (15-20 bucks). I did have mine freeze (breath condensation froze to the inside?) for the first time 2 or 3 times this winter , but otherwise perform as expected.

·
Premium Member
4,301 Posts
Get yourself a Nolan N90 helmet. Just a bit over $200. Comes with Pinlock. No more fogging issues. Pinlock works amazing. The Nolan helmet is fantastic if your head is the right shape. Constructed well.

All that coating and stick on stuff is problematic, as you know it will fail when you need it the most. Like riding home from work and it starts to hail or rain really hard, then the visor fogs and you can't see anything.

Pinlock is the way to go IMO.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good stuff people. Thanks for the very helpful replies. I'm gonna try the Fog City thing first. I hate to have to spend $200 on a new helmet when $20 might fix the problem. My BILT fits really well and I like the flip-up action and ventilation and it has low noise. :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Fog Tech wipes
Pinlock Visor (on certain helmets only)
Scorpion helmet. I've used these helmets (other than the Shoei I have now) and their visors are the best IMO.

·
Premium Member
4,925 Posts
Get yourself a Nolan N90 helmet. Just a bit over $200. Comes with Pinlock. No more fogging issues. Pinlock works amazing. The Nolan helmet is fantastic if your head is the right shape. Constructed well.

All that coating and stick on stuff is problematic, as you know it will fail when you need it the most. Like riding home from work and it starts to hail or rain really hard, then the visor fogs and you can't see anything.

Pinlock is the way to go IMO.
Yep, Pinlock is the way to go.

·
$tromtrooper
2,378 Posts
Pinlock shield and insert. No more fog.
FogCity is an effective, less expensive alternative. Have used both.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I keep the face shield one notch cracked open, except when on the interstate, and haven't had much in the way of fogging issues... in lovely Seattle.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Happy Fog City user. It does what it's suppose to do. On really cold days, I'll get a small amount of fog right in front of my nose if I'm stopped. Crack the visor and it's gone in a few seconds.

It's been on my face shield for about two years now - no reason to take it off. NO problems, no complaints - especially for the price.

·
Premium Member
1,613 Posts
nanofilm

I've have the good luck with a light polished coating of DeFog-It on the inside for condensation and Plexus on the outside for rain and road grunge from wet roads.

Clarity Defog It - webBikeWorld

·
Registered
328 Posts
I usually have my visor cracked one notch, doesn't matter what the weather. You could try an old hockey player trick, put some baby shampoo on the inside and buff it off. I haven't tried anti-fog treatments.

·
Premium Member
1,674 Posts
I used Fog City for a long time, and it worked well in my Shoei RF1000. The only caveat is that the plastic is rather soft. A lot softer than the visor material. It will scratch easily if you use paper towels on it, since they are generally made of wood pulp. Use only a really soft lens cloth or clean old T-shirt or some other clean cotton cloth or micro-fiber. Believe it oir else, but lemon Pledge helps the fogging issue also.

·
Registered
6,692 Posts
My Shoei came with a rubber nose breath diverter

took car of most of it.

Ity just slips in and probably would work for most helmets

·
Registered
383 Posts
I've been having lots of issues with fogging since I started riding in October. Here, it is typically humid and just cold enough to get a nice fog from your breath, perfect conditions for an opaque visor. My Shoei has the rubber clip-in breath diverter as well, and it didn't make much if any difference. The thing that works all of the time is to use the little lever on the side of the helmet to crack the visor a hair; that clears it up instantly. Problem with that is, it makes what is normally a wonderfully quiet helmet (the Qwest) quite noisy, and becomes irritating over about 50 mph.

I'll be looking into the Fog City, and probably get a pinlock system at some point.

·
Registered
232 Posts
How about those of y'all with glasses?

My HJC RPHA-10 has PinLock, so I'll try the pinlock shield to prevent the visor from fogging. (As well as repositioning the breath deflector.)

But my glasses fog up too.
I usually leave the vents open or lift the visor one click at speeds under 45 MPH and that takes care of it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts