StromTrooper banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I rode into work on my 40 mile commute at 36*F. Wearing the Turtle Fur Balaclava, JR Ballistic 6.0 Jacket and 5.0 Pants and gloves, and wearing the Caberg Jusstisimo Helmet. Very warm, but the glove are not really that good at this temp. Hands were the only thing to get a little cold, but I hope to get the JR Rush gloves and the Zuk hand guards to fix that.

My Caberg helmet never fogs because of the anti-fog visor which works great at keeping the fog off, but unfortuenately the condensation that has been building in the helmet as the temperature has been going down is almost to the point of making it unusable. I have all of the vents open, crack the visor, and still have to open up my visor periodically throughout my commute to wipe off the moisture, and let the wind evap some too. Also when I where the turtle fur my chin can touch the front of the mask.

The front vent on the helmet cracks facing up and my theory is that it would work better in an open air environment, but not as great behind the Givi. If it vented from the bottom I think it would collect more air coming up through the fork area.

Any other low temp riders come across this and have a solution???

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
I use an HJC helmet with a breath guard. It prevents exhalations from getting into the face plate area. Snowmobile sites are probably a great resource for information about the problem.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I have heard a lot of good things about this....

http://www.pinlockusa.com/ for fogging. Unfortunately, they are not very well known in the states yet and hard to get. I have problems with fogging as well and heard from seveal others with this, you will never experience it again.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have used a Fog City shield, available at Cycle Gear, for the last couple of years. It works very well as long as you keep the face shield clean by washing it in dish soap and cold water. When I let it go for awhile, the condensation builds up on the little dust particles and other minute crud on the shield. I guess cleanliness is next to good visibility, for me at least. --Gene

·
Registered
41 Posts
I think Greywolf hit the key. Being in upstate NY I ride a lot in adverse weather. I have reiiden twice this week, more if there wasn't soo much salt on the roads. With the windshield raise up to a higher mark, there is little need for me to wear neck protection, I am fine with an open neck with no wind. The 1k has hand guards and I put in the symtec warmers. Now I wear my spring gloves year round with little issue. Condensation is the only issue left and it is mainly due to exhaled air. You need to redirect it out of the helmet. I have the Shoei RF1000 with the PinLock and it is great. If you are still having a problem get the breath guard.

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Pinlock looks great, but it only looks like they support Shoei and HJC in the US currently. I would hate to have to buy a new helmet (unless it has Bluetooth ;) ). Maybe I'll see if I can find a Pinlock Caberg shield from Europe (think they sell the helmets more there ).

·
Registered
195 Posts
i have worn nolan 1xx for several years. they have the pinlock system standard. it works great, just as advertised. HOWEVER, i wear glasses, and those damn things fog up so bad with the shield fully closed, i cant even see the pinlock insert. and of course with the new plastic lenses, you are not supposed to put anything on them, so i end up riding with the shield cracked anyway.

anybody try that 'foggy' thing with glasses ?? does it work ?? lemme know...

J

·
0 Posts
Nolan with the pin lock standard has been my bet. I have the N-102 40 minute ride to work today at 25 degrees....no fog nothing but clear viewing. I do experience minimal condensation about .25" toal below the pin lock clip in. But I will not bitch, I happy very happy with it and could not ask for any more after reading the tolerance levels of others :)

·
Registered
94 Posts
I used the Respro Breath guard last year and starting using it again this year with great results. It’s a universal fit and for only $20 you can’t beat it. The only minor complaint I have is in the winter I run a clear visor and wear sunglasses in the mornings. If you have the glasses pushed back too close to your head the glasses will fog. I fixed that by simply pulling the glasses forward a bit and no more fog. See http://www.respro.com/popup_foggy.php for details. The company seems to be UK based but a Google search shows a number of US distributors.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
anybody try that 'foggy' thing with glasses ?? does it work ?? lemme know...
I keep a little bottle of FogTech in the tankbag and put a drop on each side of each lens and spread it with my finger on days when I know I'll need it. It dries almost instantly, doesn't smear the lenses if your hands are clean, and it really works. I don't recall what I paid for that little bottle of FogTech, but I've had it for almost two years and it's still half full.

My Scorpion EXO-700 does not fog, and the only solution I've found to the condensation problem is to keep the visor cracked open. The first position detent is a bit too much, so I use a folded business card or something like that to give me a healthy air leak.

·
press any key to continue
124 Posts
I have been using a Fog City (which looks very similar to the Pinlock) for a couple of years. It works really well. The only issue I have is when wearing a Balaclava... it forces exhaust fumes (my own breath) up and fogs my sunglasses. I mainly wear the Balaclava for neck protection, so I might just cut the face out a bit on one of them.

I might try a Pinlock next time, but for those without one of the helmets they support, check out the Fog City as it should fit most screens.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
My Caberg helmet never fogs because of the anti-fog visor which works great at keeping the fog off, but unfortuenately the condensation that has been building in the helmet as the temperature has been going down is almost to the point of making it unusable.
Any other low temp riders come across this and have a solution???
:( Uh-Oh, I hate to be the bearer of bad news but I think something must be wrong w/your Caberg as I have the same exact helmet and I don't experience any issues when riding in similar conditions.

Stromette

·
Registered
5 Posts
Check out this: http://www.nanoshield.nl/productinfo.php?id=50

It's the latest en comes from Holland. It has been tested by motormagazines en they say the results are good. Give them a call and they can answer in english. Maybe posting overseas is possible.

I have a fogcity in my Schuberth concept and i am not happy with it. In my Shoei I have pinlock and that works best.

My next helmet will be the Shoei Multitec (with standard pinlock) or the Caberg Rhino with nanoshield. First I have to find money.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
My next helmet will be the Shoei Multitec (with standard pinlock) or the Caberg Rhino with nanoshield. First I have to find money.
My Multitech shipped yesterday. Should have it in about 6 days.

webBikeworld posted their review yesterday.

T

·
0 Posts
First I tried a Respro Foggy facemask: worked well but my long-oval head puts my face too close to the front of the helmet and the mask could not vent my breath down. That, and it would scratch my face everytime I ripped my helmet off. Sitting in the closet.

Next I tried a FogCity insert: minimal fogging but some condensation. Also, dangerous light halos at night. Removed and thrown away.

Finally, FogTech anti-fog liquid. Works great - no fog or condensation, applies easily and dries quickly. Only downside is that is barely lasts a week; Friday morning commutes can be interesting after a Sunday night application.

In all of the above cases, cracking the facesheild on my Arai eliminates foggin, but can get chilly.

Still commuting in NoVa, Tom

1 - 16 of 16 Posts