StromTrooper banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2011 DL650 is too new to have any corrosion in the wiring connectors, but I'm sure it is lurking just around the corner, waiting to strand me in the middle of nowhere. Now seems like a good time to treat the connectors with some magical anti-corrosion substance. I've taken connector blocks apart on previous bikes and packed them with dielectric grease - but that seems so Twentieth Century. Can anyone recommend a spray product that I could use to protect those pesky wiring connectors?

Lazy Strom Owner
Vancouver, Washington

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Sorry, it's still dielectric grease for the win. Cheap, very effective in harsh environments, and repeatable.

If you really must have something less messy, DeOxit products are great. I use their cleaner spray to clean up corroded or dirty connections, then I use the dielectric grease. They do make a connection improver spray (also comes as a sort of "paintable" solution) but I haven't used it.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Sorry, it's still dielectric grease for the win. Cheap, very effective in harsh environments, and repeatable.

If you really must have something less messy, DeOxit products are great. I use their cleaner spray to clean up corroded or dirty connections, then I use the dielectric grease. They do make a connection improver spray (also comes as a sort of "paintable" solution) but I haven't used it.
+1 dielectric grease...

20, 30 yrs ago... 20, 30 yrs from now... still working...

·
Registered
4,031 Posts
Silicone dielectric grease is the magic stuff, open the connector, wipe some onto the contact area, close it again and done. The connectors on my K6 have been through hellish conditions and the contacts are still pristine.

I don't know of any good spray on.

Pete

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
Silicone dielectric grease is the magic stuff
Silicone will gum up over time and it is not conductive. Go with Caig products, I buy them by the case to service electronic equipment. None better out there right now.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
Dielectric means non-conductive. It's to keep water and air out. Connections still get made just fine. The grease is around the conductive joint. Electronic equipment has much higher requirements than simple electrical connections and specialty stuff is overkill unless you already have it.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Quoted from a New England Tombstone "Most of the things that killed me never happened". Still an once of prevention is good.

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
You can dab the connector with something called "Liquid Tape" that you can find in any auto parts or hardware store. It it dries to form a rubbery coating that still allows the connector to be pulled apart if necessary (with effort). Done correctly it's completely water- and corrosion-proof, and also prevents against shorting or accidental disconnection.

I've got a lot of aftermarket wiring on my Wee (heated grips, headlight cut-out switch, electric jacket controller, driving lights, LED conspicuity lights) and use it on all those wiring systems.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts