StromTrooper banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Another Year Older Ride….

“Such is life”, an interesting phrase…. I generally think about the acceptance of the unpredictable.

This past weekend was planned to ride over to Eastern Arizona for a three day get-away and the high light of the trip was Hwy 191… The Coronado Trail.

Over Memorial Day weekend, someone left an unattended camp fire and started the “Wallow” fire in Eastern AZ…. and with the winds in and around Northern Arizona lately….. it didn’t take long to grow into Arizona’s third largest wild fire.

Hwy 191 was now closed, several mountain towns were being evacuated and others on alert.

We quickly changed our travel plans and met early Friday riding south along the AZ rim country towards Payson, AZ …. To Jakes Corner, Punkin Center (it’s spelled correctly), Gardens West, Globe and Safford for the night. (don’t you just love names)

Instead of Hwy 191 this year…. (The Coronado Trail also known as ”The Devil’s Hwy”)
We would double back and turn north on Hwy 60 through the Salt River Canyon, Chrysotile, Seneca, Carrizo Junction, through Cedar Creek, Canyon Day, Fort Apache, Whiteriver and settling for the evening in Pinetop, AZ

Enjoy our pictures….

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Another Year Older Ride...

Theodore Roosevelt Dam

A stop at the Roosevelt Lake visitor center

Them’s fightin’ words

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Saturday morning and off to Coolidge Dam and the San Carlos Reservoir

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Coolidge Dam

Salt River Canyon

This was the view of the “Wallow" fire from Whiteriver, AZ looking east…

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Pinetop, AZ ….. check in, a few adult beverages and then dinner

Up early and on the road….. Pine, AZ for lunch at the Randall House then ride into the Verde Valley, through Page Springs, to Sedona, Oak Creek Canyon and home

We had to stop at the fish hatchery in Page Springs…. And feed the fish!

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)

Time to leave for Sedona…. And, Oak Creek Brewing Co

I read that “the travel” is more important than the destination…. Several of us on the trip, just had a birthday…. I was celebrating mine and another was just a few days away, more candles than cake for all of us. It all started to make sense…. acceptance of the unpredictable.

“The travel” I figure…. you need to have a general idea…. But really, try not to plan more than ten hours in advance….. “Such is Life”

·
Registered
96 Posts
Happy Birthday! I'm renting a Vee from down here in the valley and looping up through Wickenburg, Prescott, Sedona, Flagstaff, Payson, Apache Trail. To bad we couldn't have hooked up. I'm looked to buy a Wee/Vee so this will be a trial run. I'm a displaced Flagstaff native. Really miss it this time of year!

·
Registered
508 Posts
Darn! I was probably under the Rainbow Bridge at Roosevelt when you guys went by. "Such is life." :thumbup:

·
Registered
555 Posts
This was the view of the “Wallow" fire from Whiteriver, AZ looking east…

This is creepy looking. Great photo.

Thanks for posting, always love your rides (a little jealous if I'm honest). Keep livin' the life!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts