StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I really did it this time. I filled my 2005 Silverado diesel pickup with GAS and then drove it 8 miles until it started to sputter. It's now getting the tank drained, flushed and a new fuel filter and hopefully nothing else. I think it's a 32 gallon tank and was showing 1/8th full when I did the deed.

What I'm wondering now is what to do with 32 gallons of gas mixed with 4 gallons of diesel. Dispose of it? or can it be used in a gas fueled engine?

Don't ask me what I was thinking of or if I was thinking at all............

·
Registered
166 Posts
You can run it in a gas engine, farm truck, law mower. A new car would probably eat it too. May have a little smoke out the pipes. It is not a lot diesel.

Or add another 50 gallons of diesel and mixed some drip torch fuel.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Older car or a bike with carb I should think.
In the old days, according to my dad, if you had an engine with too high a compression and it was pinging they would sometimes add a small amount of diesel to stop it.

·
Cowboys aint easy to love
2,113 Posts
:biggrinjester:

Tom, first you have my sympathy for the senior moment. That's what you really wanted, isn't it? Absolution? We're elderly now -- might as well get used to it and have fun with it. Sometimes you'll get an unexpected hug from a hot chick...

Most likely whoever did your draining, flushing, and refilling will have disposed of the adulterated fuel without giving you a shot at it. Me, I'd save it and use it for parts cleaner.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I wonder why they don't make one of the nozzles square (or oval) , so it won't fit in the wrong vehicle.
IIRC correctly, the diesel nozzle is larger, meaning a gas nozzle will fit in a diesel vehicle, but not the other way around. I guess they figured the diesel folks were "more aware" and would not make the mistake.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the sympathy! My wife just looked at me over her glasses and shook her head. :=)

The only hot chicks that look at me are the one's with grandfather complexes and there aren't many of those, but it's a nice thought.

I told them to save the gas in some containers I gave them just in case I find a use for it. Probably more trouble than it's worth.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Id burn it in the car, pour some in then put some fresh gas in to dilute it a bit more.... go for it, I don't think it will hurt anything.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
It could cause fuel and emission sensor problems in a vehicle that has them but it should be fine in anything with a carb.
Seems like a good point.

Considering the expense and complexity of modern petro-powered equipment and vehicles, I'd think disposal is your only option.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Engineering "director" at work filled his Honda VFR with diesel. He wasn't old...

·
Registered
66 Posts
Burn it in your snow blower. You'll be using that real soon.:headbang:

·
Registered
6,644 Posts
I might cut it once again and use it except

Its already in the mechanics car.

Now relax and explain when you first thought that nubile females were interested in you

·
Registered
832 Posts
What I'm wondering now is what to do with 32 gallons of gas mixed with 4 gallons of diesel. Dispose of it? or can it be used in a gas fueled engine?
That's a fuel mix ratio of 8:1. Even if used in low-value outdoor power equipment, that mix is still much too rich for my liking. I've disposed of old 40:1 mix via my 4S OPE, and I still had to wrestle with a lot of smoke and very fouled plugs.

You might consider having the mechanic arrange for proper disposal.

Probably best to write this epi$ode off as a consequence of age and move on.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I was "advised" by a small-town fire chief that a mix of 1/4 gas and 3/4 diesel could be "safely" used to light brushpiles for burning on our farm, which I did. I'm not sure how safe it was, or whether it was a good idea, but it did get those burn piles started. Disclaimer: this may have been very dumb, and I'm not recommending it.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Here in DE, we all have to drive in the worst part of one town in the entire state to dispose of hazardous materials. I gave them a 5-gallon container of 13 year old gas that was sitting in my Dad's '38 Chevy.

As for senior moments, join the club. I've done several things like not remembering to fix a leaking pipe behind the wall until after the kitchen tile wall was done, forgetting to bring in $50 worth of meat left on the back seat of the car the night before, etc.

I've honed my OCD skills to the point where I do everything 2 or 3 times until I am satisfied that things should be okay.....:headbang:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts