StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought an OEM gel seat for my Wee about 4 years ago and it's starting to show its' age. I bought it to try and find a budget friendly way to combat the crotch-tank-smoosh situation experienced with the OEM seat. The gel seat worked well for less than $150. It's firmer (which I like) and a bit taller than stock, but ultimately did not fix the man-bits-tank-dive.

So again here I am looking for a budget friendly seat that can help alleviate a sore crotch. I'm curious about what you all think about these options:

1) Alaska leather sheep skin to raise the seat a bit and provide some air flow. If so, the long hair looks great to me. I'd want to get this as a cheaper way to cover up the cracks forming on the gel seat.

2) Seat Concepts conversion of my stock pan. Would it be worth it to get this when I already have the gel seat? I've ready many reviews on the conversion and for the price it seems hard to beat. I'm mostly asking if just getting the Alaska Leather cover will do something similar before I drop $200 on the Seat Concepts package.

Thanks everyone!

·
Administrator
17,543 Posts
Alaska helps with an already "good seat", but it is a band-aid and not a very good one. Go the Seat Concepts route, not really any better alternative out there for the money. Of course quite a few high end saddles show up for sale here on occasion at a good price, I just picked a like mint Corbin up recently and could not be happier.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I just got an Airhawk seat cover, which has gotten good reviews in all sorts of MC forums. I found lots of reviews from people who've had sheepskin and bead covers, and nearly all give the nod to the Airhawk. Haven't had a chance to try it on a very long ride yet, but my initial impression is that it simply removes all pressure points.

·
Administrator
17,543 Posts
I liked the Airhawk until I didn't, it works for some people for awhile, but like me they just end up getting a custom saddle sooner than later. They are quirky, also lift you higher off the seat and move around no matter how well you have them secured. The Op seemed to like the gel seat, I am sure multiple members have one they are no longer using and would let go cheap.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Skip the try this, try that method, you will spend more money and time than its worth. Terry Adcox seats are friendly on your wallet, and it will solve your problems. On my prior bike I tried the low money route on seats, and in the end spent more than what a Adcox seat cost. Adcox seats aren't perfect, but it's as close as your going to get to a $600.00 Russell seat....IMO.

·
Premium Member
5,254 Posts
OP - Love the Terry Adcox but try the Beadrider first ( see the Alaska thread here - hunt on Beadrider )

·
Registered
121 Posts
Issue I have is I have to sit pert near on the tank to reach the bars and have my legs comfy. So the bucket part of that seat wont be usable currently. One inch up and back risers so far. I need the very front of my seat comfy. I need longer arms apparently the DL650 ineeds ape hanger bars!

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
Issue I have is I have to sit pert near on the tank to reach the bars and have my legs comfy. So the bucket part of that seat wont be usable currently. One inch up and back risers so far. I need the very front of my seat comfy. I need longer arms apparently the DL650 ineeds ape hanger bars!
Sounds like you should try 2" up and back Rox adjustable risers. Also, Terry can build you a seat that put's you against the tank.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I like riding up on the front of my seat and I told Terry to build that in to my custom seat. Now, I can sit up fron or go back to the relaxed spot and am equally comfortable. BTW, Terry has a picture of my seat on his page - it's the tan all leather seat. Took a 2039 mile trip on it in June. Twelve hour days were just fine!

·
Registered
31 Posts
So, by my estimation I have spent over $650 trying to make my butt feel okay on the third day of touring. Sargent seat: Improvement. Sheepskin: not so much. Airhawk: Improvement once I dialed in inflation. The turning point for me was when I bought a pair of bicycling shorts with the built-in pad for the butt bones. There are all kinds of choices out there so shop a bit. Novara makes a nice model and for $35 it might be a good starting place for what could be a long journey. BTW, none of these items helped with the forward slide except the Airhawk.... sort of.

·
Registered
729 Posts
So, by my estimation I have spent over $650 trying to make my butt feel okay on the third day of touring. Sargent seat: Improvement. Sheepskin: not so much. Airhawk: Improvement once I dialed in inflation. The turning point for me was when I bought a pair of bicycling shorts with the built-in pad for the butt bones. There are all kinds of choices out there so shop a bit. Novara makes a nice model and for $35 it might be a good starting place for what could be a long journey. BTW, none of these items helped with the forward slide except the Airhawk.... sort of.
I actually think this makes a lot of sense. I've been riding the bicycle for a few weeks to help get in shape for a 11 day Newfoundland trip and I find that my butt is feeling better when I ride the Wee2 now. Cycling is notorious for making your butt sore in the beginning.
I think I might try wearing the bike shorts under my riding pants on that trip.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Just installed a Seat Concepts and am totally happy with it. Have an Air Hawk pad and while it was comfy I did not like the "wiggly" feel one bit. Had a Rich's Custom gel, with a half day fitting session and 500 bucks on previous bike and the Seat Concepts is better that that.

·
Registered
677 Posts
I wear riding shorts sometimes and there is a bit of a difference. My DL1000 stock seat had me in pain within 25miles. I have had good luck finding used seats. I found a Corbin for a Suzuki Katana for $45 on ebay. For my DL1000 I would look at used bikes at dealerships. Sometimes you can find one that will sell (with your stock trade seat in trade also) you one off a used bike. I found one with a Corbin seat at a used bike dealer that was missing the bracket that latches the seat to the bike. He traded me straight for my good condition stock seat with the bracket. I ended up buying a $30 stock seat from a salvage place to get another bracket to put on the Corbin. Sometimes you can luck out if you look hard enough and give yourself some time.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts