StromTrooper banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought a one year old 650 last year and the fellow had a sheepskin pad that he seemed quite attached to.

Most of my riding is in town, but I did do the 2.5 hour run up to Saskatoon a couple of times and I can see where a seat can be an important piece of a bike. Opinions on after market vary, and I don't think it warrants the expense for the number of times that I'm on the bike for longer than an hour at a time. That said, I'm looking at a one time 3000 km trip and the thought of it has me thinking back to that sheepskin pad. So what are opinions on pads? How do they compare to seats? Sheepskin? Gel? Both?

Thanks

·
Registered
68 Posts
Although I haven't tried my Alaskan Sheep skin butt pad on the Wee yet, mainly because my rides on the Wee have been fairly short. I find the seat on the Wee just terrible (I know, I know, put the butt pad on and try it), but it's more than that. I find the ergonomics much different from the ST. I can easily put on 1k/day on my Honda ST with the sheep skin under me. On the Wee, ain't gonna happen!

Now as for the sheepskin itself, it made a noticeable difference on the ST when I got it. Also got one for my wife for the back and she almost refuses to go anywhere without it. Much more comfy, keeps your bum off the leather/vinyl seating surface and allows it to breathe. The seat cooks my behind if left in the sun for any length of time, with the sheepskin, no problem.

Personal experience with gel seats has not been great. My Bandit had one and I hated it. It got crazy hot in the sun, maybe a sheepskin could have helped with that, but overall comfort for longer rides was not good. Now there are thise that like their gel seats, so YMMV.

Prior to buying the pads my research indicated that not all but certainly most who got a butt pad, love it.

I got mine here.

I will add that I don't believe the seat on my Wee is stock. I have a feeling it's lowered. I'll have to post some pics later and ask the membership here to confirm.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Oe of the best things you can do is to start acclimating your body to long trips by taking a few 300-500 mile day trips. This will give you an idea where and how you will need to begin setting up your bike ergonomically for you. Shield and handlebar placement and seat comfort play major roles in fatigue. If you experience a problems with the day ride, they will only be magnified doing back to back days. This being said, you may have to spend some time and money playing around with pads and seats befor your trip. Or you may luck out like a select few and find your seat works just fine for you. As we routinly ride 400-900 mile days back to back while on vacation, seat comfort plays a major role in our enjoyment.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I used an Alaska Butt pad and a cheap WalMart gel pad before I bought my Russell. I used the sheepskin over the gel pad on longer rides including a 2500 mile trip from Maine to the Blue Ridge Parkway in NC and back. It was acceptably comfortable for me, but it doesn't compare to the Russell.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Oe of the best things you can do is to start acclimating your body to long trips by taking a few 300-500 mile day trips. This will give you an idea where and how you will need to begin setting up your bike ergonomically for you. Shield and handlebar placement and seat comfort play major roles in fatigue. If you experience a problems with the day ride, they will only be magnified doing back to back days. This being said, you may have to spend some time and money playing around with pads and seats befor your trip. Or you may luck out like a select few and find your seat works just fine for you. As we routinly ride 400-900 mile days back to back while on vacation, seat comfort plays a major role in our enjoyment.

Agreed.
- Ride lots to toughen up yer arse.
- Experiment to figure out what works for you.
- Every ass is different.

·
Registered
7 Posts
get an Air Hawk pad by Roho

Most comfortable pad I've ever used is the Air Hawk pad by Roho.

I've done a few Iron Butt runs with this pad and been good for 1000 miles in 16 hours and continuing on for the 2500 kms in less than 36 hours the next day.

I could not have lasted a fraction of that time on the stock Wee seat. Also used the same pad on old Sportster for equivalent trips and before that my butt was burning after only 700 to 800 kms on that bikes stock seat.

U-Turn

1 - 6 of 6 Posts