StromTrooper banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody has any good/bad experience with portable sat radio on the bike. I have Starcom1 on my V, looking for something else to listen beside my iPod. At the moment i am tossing the idea around to get portable sat(xm/sirius-no difference) radio for xmas? Is it worth it?

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Does anybody has any good/bad experience with portable sat radio on the bike. I have Starcom1 on my V, looking for something else to listen beside my iPod. At the moment i am tossing the idea around to get portable sat(xm/sirius-no difference) radio for xmas? Is it worth it?
I too would like some input on this as the Walkman is getting worn out:mrgreen:

·
Registered
133 Posts
Sirius

I talked with 5 different salesmen, all at different shops. All were quite enthusiastic about the Sirius and XM radios. When I asked them which one they bought, all 5 said they bought the Sirius because the programming was better. I assume they had plenty of time to listen to both radios during the course of their work.

The Sirius covers all the football games, the XM all the baseball games.

You will need the home and auto kit with either company's radios.

You will see some great online deals on the Sirius/XM web sites from time to time.

The XM Delphi Roadster has a powerful radio transmitter in it, capable of rebroadcasting your satalite programming throughout the house.

On two recent trips, my wife and I listened to our Sirius radio for many hours. It made the long ride much more enjoyable.

Our Sirius had fairly good traffic reporting for the SF bay area and Los Angeles areas.

There's a guy on Ebay selling handlebar mounts for the Sirius Sportster radios. I think he's asking $6 for them.

Overall, I enjoy listening to music more than watching the tube. I'll switch on the Sirius, pipe it into the stereo and cruise the net while my wife is watching dialing for dollars. We have a vent mount for the car and I just move the radio to the car when we get ready to travel.

·
Premium Member
610 Posts
I just bought a replacement Sirius unit (old one wouldn't power-on anymore) and while I like it for the programming variety the sound quality is not great. It is nowhere near cd-quality (and Sirius doesn't claim it is) and nowhere near ipod-quality. It sounds like a mediocre "internet radio" station.

But I still like it overall because of the variety of channels, fairly consistent reception (sometimes get dropouts for no apparent reason) and it is a great companion on long car trips.

I tried using my old one briefly with the Wee last summer but gave up because the flaky power connector kept cutting out. The new one looks more robust and should probably work better but there is still the clutter of 3 wires (power, antenna, audio-out) dangling.

- Martin

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
Although it veers off topic a bit, I got an iPod FM tuner for a trip last Summer. It just clips into the docking port. It works quite well. The added advantage is that it works really well as a remote control for the iPod so you can operate the iPod controls with gloves on. It also allows you to attach two sets of ear phones for shared listening. The only real drawback is that you can not power the iPod with an external power adapter with it on.
I got mine at the Apple Store. About $50 bucks as I recall.

(rant on) F%#@ng Apple should have built in an FM tuner into the iPod the first place (rant off)

·
Premium Member
2,208 Posts
i've got an XM on my touring bike. it is GREAT if you travel cross-country. clear, crisp programs and lots of choices, no matter where you roam.

i think if i were shopping for a unit today, i'd consider a new garmin with integrated XM. it's expensive, but you kill two birds with one stone. always a good thing.

·
Registered
71 Posts
We have a Sirius Stilletto 100, which is a radio/MP3 combo. It's small enough to fit in a jacket pocket or tankbag. We still have to work out the antenna arrangements, however.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I have the Pioneer Inno 2 serviced by XM on my bike. I actually change it from my bike to my 4Runner. It is completely chargable and portable like a walkman and has it's own internal antenna. But I use the plug in antenna for better reception on the bike. I ran the line to the top of the metal gas tank and attached the magnetic antenna to it. It can easily transmit through the top of the plastic fairing for reception.

Plus I got the helmet speakers and installed them in my helmet with a lead receptacle out the side to plug in the radio.

Here is the radio:

Plus with the rechargable battery the unit runs about 10 hrs. on a charge and I did not have to wire it to my electrical system of the bike.:-D

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Sony Bean

I currently run the Sony Bean 512mb Player w/fm ( Lousy reception tho') thru Phillips Noise cancelling Ear buds.:???:
the unit plays for 50 hrs and I have a 12vdc-usb adaptor to recharge it from Truck or bike. I would like however a better way of Keeping up on traffic/news/weather for where I ride. thats why I was thinking XM or Sirius:rolleyes:
Living in Vt. where a 50,000watt radio station is the most powerful :confused:
I'm still only capable of so so reception using the "Bean"
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-NW-E305-Walkman-Player-White/dp/B000AZ00EQ/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1197140045&sr=1-1

So ,I'm Kinda Looking towards the future and More Long trips and the ability to keep listening to whatever for as long as I want with out Station hunting.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I ride a ZZR 1200. Don't hold it against me!

I have an iPod with the iJet remote as well as an FM transmitter that I use to charge it while on the bike. I also have a Roady XT that I picked up for $20. The iPod sits in the tank bag with the remote velcro'd to a homemade bracket mounted in the mirror screw hole on the left control. When not being used the remote is taken off and velcroed inside the E41's I have.

The Roady is mounted on a ram ball mount that comes out of the hex head hole on the steering head. It is not waterproof this way, but I can always throw the whole thing in the tank bag when it starts to rain, (done this while riding as well - no problems so far.)

·
Registered
98 Posts
I installed a Sirius system on my bike last year. Works pretty well but there were some teething issues, such as their supplied (in the auto kit) suction mount didn't dampen any vibration and the unit itself eventually shook itself to death after about 2k miles. Once I replaced it and revised my mount system it works like a charm. I put the antenna on top of my top case and used velcro to hold it in place.

Also- the sound volume from the unit itself is not very loud if you use earbuds. I ended up spending $15 on a small, battery-powered amp that is used for MP3 players and now it works great. I can hear ambient noise as well as the music in the background.

·
Registered
8 Posts
XM Radio on my DL650

I have an XM Roady2 that I move from the bike to the car, house and office. The Roady2 is cheap, and easy to move around. For now, I mount it in a Pelican Box to keep it dry on the bike.Thinking about upgrading to the Pioneer Inno, a very nice unit. But, a little $$$$.

As far as XM vs. Sirius... Sirius has Howard Stern and Foodball, XM has "Opie and Anthony" with baseball, NHL, Big 10 and NCAA. I like XM. Not sure about Sirius, but XM has signal repeaters in most larger cities so you won't loose signal when a big truck pulls up next to you, or a tall building is blocking the satelite signals.

The biggest problem I have is with the wire at the connector to the helmet speakers. I have been using it for 21,000 miles, and had to fix the wire twice. I have not had any other problems with the system.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
I have Sirius in the cage and XM on the bike through the Zumo. Programming is similar, until you get to sports (then you need to pick your prefs).

Traffic is only available for populated areas. Weather is next to useless unless you have a wx compatible GPS (not Zumo) and subscription to XM nexrad.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hello,
This is slightly off topic but hey I figured I'd throw it out there anyway. Has anyone used a satellite radio on their way to Alaska through Canada? I am having troubles finding out the answer. Thanks

Ben M

1 - 14 of 14 Posts