StromTrooper banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Speaking of reviews and this particular reviewer, I saw that the latest issue of Motorcyclist magazine has a feature on the new DL1000A in their "quick rides" section, and it is this same author with essentially the same review as before and same statements, such as "it accelerated quickly to 135 MPH on a short downhill section... Even so, I couldn't help feeling (it) lacked top-end excitement". Because, you know, riding at 135MPH is just so monotonous.

Although that was about the only negative thing, the bike still was given a lackluster score of 3 out of 5 stars.

To put it in perspective, ratings of 3 other bike in that section were:

BMWS1000R, "price TBD", 4.5 stars
Kawasaki Z1000, $11,999, 4 stars
Honda Forza 279cc scooter, $5599, 3.5 stars

I don't think 'Stroms ever got much love from the mainstream cycle magazines anyway, so I'm interpreting this as a positive sign that the essential lovable underdog nature of the bike has remained unchanged.

Kinda sad to see a recycled article that has been already published in video and written format for other publications, being reprinted in Motorcyclist magazine where you might expect an original work. Times are hard tho, I suppose.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Yes, the Roland Brown review wasn't spectacular, but I don't put a lot of weight on it. Since he's ridden probably every current bike, and rides for a living, I'm sure all the bikes become a blur after awhile. Most likely the only bikes that stand out to him are the ones that raise the performance bar in their genre. Suzuki admits that the new V wasn't intended to this, but just to be a good bike for people who ride a lot in the real world, you know the one with speed limits, wandering deer, soccer moms, and teenagers who can text and drive. I wonder if Roland Brown looks forward to heading out on his own bike for an overnighter on the weekends, or if he even rides for fun? If not, he probably can't appreciate the new V.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts