StromTrooper banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know many people have had this problem, but I haven't seen the answer I'm looking for in the endless threads, so hopefully this can be answered quickly (and painlessly)
Have mercy greywolf.

2008 DL650; clean, tighten chain...castle nut threads stripped. you've seen it before.

Luckily, however, the threads on the axle are fine; the nut took all the damage.

I need to replace it to ride again, but dual-star doesn't seem to exist anymore and holeshot isn't answering their phones.

i'm impatient so I want it here sooner.

I know its a 24mm wrench size, 17mm thread diameter but what is the thread count? 2.00? 1.00?

Anyone able to fix this problem without buying a vstrom specific product?

Suzuki dealership doesnt have any in stock, and i dont want the weaksauce oem nut anyway

·
Registered
489 Posts
Try Ace Hardware, if you know the thread size, you might be able to match it...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'd say it's a M17 fine. Head off to your local fasteners shop, and try until one fits
No one seems to make these at all. We have a a fastner manufacturer in town; even they don't have them. I ended up ordering the OEM replacement from a dealership so I can get back on the bike, but I'm going to get the hole-shot replacement (if they answer the phone) as well

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,047 Posts
Just use anti seize and 58lb-ft of torque. It will last practically forever. If Holeshot is still in business, they don't check messages often.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Looks like M17 threads are as rare as rocking horse excrement.

However, it seems to be a common size on many motorcycles so I would look at some of the other bike brands for a source or maybe even Japanese agricultural machinery.

Anti-seize is definitely a must to prevent a repeat of this issue.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Holeshot has a minimum $20.00 order...

We should just do a group buy!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Fastenal

Fastenal? They might have it.

·
38,047 Posts
I replaced a Holeshot nut with a late model non castellated nut on my '07 Wee. I didn't want to carry a 27mm wrench on tour when the tool kit had a 24mm for a stock nut.

·
38,047 Posts
The permanent fix is anti seize on the threads. Use it and you'll never have a problem. The Holeshot nut itself is not immune from galling, though its larger thread area makes it less likely.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
The current OEM spec fuji lock nuts work fine. I can't get the proper locking nut locally, so I ordered an OEM nut and its so much better than the old castle type. Procycle was stocking them, I can't tell any difference between the aftermarket nuts and the Suzuki version, they look identical to the ones I have. I ordered them for two bikes. OEM is around $11, aftermarket ain't any cheaper from what I've found. Prices for one nut is not good, gotta buy a box of 50 to save money, so I just got the OEM part from Rocky Mountain ATV/MC. :)

I've never personally had an issue with thread damage over years of riding various bikes, the factory torque spec is silly though. Just snug it up tight and go. I don't use any anti seize or thread locker and I'm using the original axle on my 2006 and 2007 Suzuki bikes. Don't really need a torque wrench either, no need to crank down on the axle hard. Maybe its over torquing or maybe people should ride more and remove that nut more often? 50 pounds is plenty. I use a 3/8 drive torque wrench up front so I don't over torque the pinch bolts.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts