StromTrooper banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I'm thinking of adding a headlight harness, a circuit for a new horn, and a 12v adaptor. I could go with the 3 circuit setup from Eastern Beaver but am wondering if I'm going to hate myself down the road. I don't use or foresee using heated gear. I also don't think I'll add extra light in the front.

What else does anyone have wired up?

Thanks,
mikeg

·
Registered
6,643 Posts
Wrong headed for a Vermonter

Get a gerbing and a controller and a voltmeter

ditch the light don't ride at night

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
Heated grips and a "cigarette lighter" size outlet in the fairing, used to power a cell phone charger.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Richw, I've been riding without heated gear for years. I do have heavier gear that I wear when it's colder out. This morning it was 43 and the only heavier gear I wore for the ride in was heavier gloves and my baclava(?). Only the tip of my nose was at all cold and even that wasn't too bad.

The heated grips isn't a bad idea though, I don't always have my heavier gloves with me.

mikeg

·
Premium Member
3,399 Posts
I think a headlight relay is a good idea if that is what you mean by headlight harness. I have several circuits....headlight relay, horn circuit, sae connector for charger, coaxial connector for heated gear, gps power circuit, all connected directly to my battery. Not pretty, not recommended I suppose. Works for me. Was necessary to use slightly longer bolts at battery terminals.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
I think a headlight relay is a good idea if that is what you mean by headlight harness. I have several circuits....headlight relay, horn circuit, sae connector for charger, coaxial connector for heated gear, gps power circuit, all connected directly to my battery. Not pretty, not recommended I suppose. Works for me. Was necessary to use slightly longer bolts at battery terminals.
You might want to break down and buy a fuse block. If you look on fleabay OUTSIDE of the motorcycle parts category, you can find a 6 or 7 fuse block for less than 20 bucks. Stay away from the 4 dollar ones, they are really junk. Run one line from your battery then all the aux stuff off of it. I do have aux running lights because I ride a LOT at night, a power connector in the fairing for my radar detector or cell charger or air compressor depending if I'm riding or camping, a 3 color charging indicator and all three devices are switched with illuminated switched mounted in the steering cover. It makes for a nice, neat install and it's easy to remember what powers what and since all of the switches are side by side, I never forget to shut them all off!

jeff

·
Registered
5,444 Posts
You might want to break down and buy a fuse block. If you look on fleabay OUTSIDE of the motorcycle parts category, you can find a 6 or 7 fuse block for less than 20 bucks. Stay away from the 4 dollar ones, they are really junk. Run one line from your battery then all the aux stuff off of it. I do have aux running lights because I ride a LOT at night, a power connector in the fairing for my radar detector or cell charger or air compressor depending if I'm riding or camping, a 3 color charging indicator and all three devices are switched with illuminated switched mounted in the steering cover. It makes for a nice, neat install and it's easy to remember what powers what and since all of the switches are side by side, I never forget to shut them all off!
I used the Eastern Beaver rig on the Wee, but recently hooked up my own arrangement on the Vulcan. As Jeff said you only need a fuse block hooked to the battery. But to eliminate the problem of leaving aux things on and possibly draining the battery I ran the main power from the battery through a relay hooked up to a switched circuit. That way when the ignition is turned off everything is powered down. I'm only using two circuits now but may add some lights and/or heated grips in the future.

This is what it looks like (hey, I ain't no electrician!):

·
Premium Member
1,549 Posts
If I couldn't ride at night (dark) I couldn't get to work in the morning. Add all the lighting you can, it helps in daylight too. You can always put on more clothes.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I bought an "out of box" Blue Seas ATC fuse block off Ebay for $20 something with fuses, I've had Centech in the past too. But, I didn't see the need to spend so much on a fuse block this time. I don't use a relay, I want it on all the time.

Eastern Beaver's fuse block is really nice if you want the relay and switched and non-switched terminals. Comes in handy I suppose. But, the only thing I have on switched power is my GPS.

I would go with a decent fuse block personally because you never know what you might want to add later. Mine has 6 circuits including a built in ground block. So, you can ground everything directly to the battery via one extra cable.

I have two grounds coming off my battery, one for the bike and one for the fuse block. Everything else is wired to the Blue Seas box. I use the SAE cord for battery charging and charging various electronics like my phone. Never felt the need for a cig plug mounted outside. I just use a SAE to a cig three way on which goes in my tank bag, so I can charge multiple items while riding rain or shine. Heated gear lead and HID headlights come off the block too. I have room to grow if needed and I did not spend much on it, already had the wire and the connectors.

If you choose to go with a fuse block, remember to factor in the wire and connector cost or get a "kit". Highly recommend getting a digital volt meter, lets you know if your charging system is OK and how its doing at idle with lights on etc. I like put voltage meters on all my bikes with stators.

·
Premium Member
4,176 Posts
I keep finding more things to add to my electrical system.

- GPS cradle
- Heated grips
- Volt meter
- USB connector for permanent power to my phone
- Outlet for permanent power to my gopro camera
- Outlet for my heated gear
- Outlet for 2 USB and 2 car adapters. Used to charge electronics in my tank bag on trips. Car adapter also powers my tire pump.

Fuse block makes these connections very simple. Need lots of slots. I have 12.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I just bought an 09 Wee with ABS. It seems to be loaded. It has
  • Touratech IMO 100R300 Computer
  • Garmin 550
  • Touratech HId Xenon Aux. light
  • Touratech Fog light
  • Suzuki Heated grips
  • Healtech Gear indicator
  • Kuryakyn LED Voltage Meter
Forgot to include Jensen JHD910 Waterproof Mini Radio/WB

All this runs thru a Centex Fuse box. I hope to use the Battery tender lead for heated gear when I need it it bit will probably have to add ad switch to turn off one of the low beam lights.

Attachments

·
Registered
299 Posts
man, as a newbie non-wrench, i have so so much to learn!

:jawdrop:

ymmv.

be well.

rob

(and i'm still looking to buy a used wee!)

·
Registered
28 Posts
man, as a newbie non-wrench, i have so so much to learn!

:jawdrop:

ymmv.

be well.

rob

(and i'm still looking to buy a used wee!)
I'm in the same boat. Lots to learn about this stuff. I don't need heated grips or PPE, but definitely want to add a 12v charger and USB outlet right away, and maybe some extra lighting down the road. Time to start looking for tutorials on youtube for these types of projects.

BTW - as of last week there were a couple of nice Wees for sale from fellow troopers on here. What are you looking for specifically? There's a nice well-farkled 2009 ABS for sale by Morrie in the For Sale section.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts