StromTrooper banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So it seems I can't post anywhere on this website except here. I tried to make a comment about a Wee for sale, but was kept out. So I guess I'll have to do some posting.

I've been wanting a Wee for about 2 years after re-discovering riding which I haven't been doing in 30 years.

Started with the intention of getting something besides my pickup to ride the 2 miles to work. Read about electric scooters, then Honda CT90 which lead me to buy a Yamaha TW200. I owned it 4 years and put 10,000 miles on it. Which I thought pretty impressive for a 196CC 16hp machine.

But I wanted to do longer rides so in 2010 I bought a like new 1997 DR350SE and have been loving that and doing longer rides in the desert of Oregon.

Last March I flew to Houston and spent week riding my cousins RT1200R. What an amazing machine but way beyond my means just to maintain it. That only served to increase my drive for a Wee which I've been wanting for several years.

Last summer I made a great deal on a Honda Pacific Coast, put 800 miles on it and sold it for a profit. Again, whetting my appetite for longer pavement explorations.

All that to say, I WANT A WEE. Last week I was given the green light from my amazing wife to go ahead and find one. Max budget $4,500. So, I'm trying to get as much bang for the buck as I can...meaning farkles. I see several 07's with 20-24k miles on them and varying value of farkles in the $5,000-6,000 range. Made an offer on one here in Oregon but haven't made a deal yet. Still looking. I'd do a fly and ride if it was in the south and a great deal. Too cold to ride in the north right now.

Can anyone steer me to threads that addresses expected maintenance issues at different mileages such as:

Wheel bearings
Steering Stem bearings
Clutch
Shock rebuilds
and so on.

Wish me luck.

Tim in Central Oregon

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts
Can anyone steer me to threads that addresses expected maintenance issues at different mileages such as:

Wheel bearings
Steering Stem bearings
Clutch
Shock rebuilds
and so on.
Read the marketplace rules. 20 posts and 20 days to post there. You can reply to a poster by personal message.

The parts you mentioned are not on the scheduled maintenance chart. That's mostly oil changes every 3500 miles after the 600 mile one, oil filter every third oil change after the first one, and valve clearance inspection every 14,500 miles. Along with that, air filter, spark plug and coolant changes are a good idea. Most other stuff needs to be checked and attended to as necessary though coolant hoses and brake lines or any other rubber parts are supposed to be replaced after 4 years. Nobody does that though, only flushing the brake lines every 2 years. Forget about the plug change before the first valve check. It isn't needed.

I did the bearings at 50,000 miles and replaced the shock with a better one but it really wasn't needed. I'm easy on a bike though being more of an Interstate traveler.

·
Premium Member
3,140 Posts
Might want to look at the 2006 versions......last of the single plug bikes, and every bit as good [if not "better" than the twin pluggers]. You might save some cash and get a bike equally capable.

·
38,104 Posts
I got an Elka from SVRacingParts.com and I'm very happy with it. Blair is doing a group buy on them now if I'm not mistaken. E-mail [email protected] if you want to check.

·
Premium Member
4,199 Posts
Relax. Most bikes are put away for the Winter. I'm selling my SV650S, for example, but it's under a cover in a storage unit and no ads are posted.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I know I have to get 20 posts in.....maybe I should start a thread about what type of oil I should use when I get one? Or compare the Wee to the Versy. Just Kidding. Guess I'll just have to give thumbs up to a bunch of ride reports to get my 20 posts in.

Greywolf: 50K on a set of bearings is awesome. I wonder how much that would change if a bike is on dirt more?

Post 5!

·
38,104 Posts
50,000 isn't much for bearings really. As I said, they were in fine shape. I just wanted to renew the bike. As long as the seals are in good shape, riding in dirt won't make much difference.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Success!!!!!

Drove up to Hood River today and purchased Ladukebob's beautiful 07 Wee. It's home in the stable with it's new step-brother the DR350.

Can't wait to put some more miles on it.

Thanks Dan for selling such a nicely maintained bike. I'm sure you will be missed around here.

Tim

·
Registered
326 Posts
WEE 4 Sail

there are, currently, 2 Wee's on the Dallas Craigslist

& they are in your price range

both '05

one is farkled, one is not

it took me 6 months to find the right one

& it had 27k on it

long distance buying might get sporty