StromTrooper banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a blue 07 Wee Strom last week. I traded in a tired Honda 700 Sabre for the DL650 and have put 500 miles on it since I picked it up.

I had been thinking about getting one for a couple of years. I have a neighbor that has an 03 DL-1000 that I have ridden a few times and that pretty much decided me on the 650. About the only paved road here is the highway and everything else is pretty much rough gravel of jeep trail. The gravel ranges from pea gravel to baseball size and then you get into the rocks on the road. I live in the Jemez mountains of New Mexico so we have pumice, pine needles, tree branches, trees, Elk, Deer, Bear, Mountain Lions (occassionally), cattle, and tourists on the paved road.

The biggest problem I had ridding the DL1000 was there wasn't as much finess to the throttle to allow working slowly through the rough stuff. I kept spinning the rear wheel unless I slipped the clutch more than I cared to do. For the riding around here the 650 is easier to get through the bad stuff on.

I'll be adding some bits after I do a little more looking into the reviews here and elsewhere. The first thing I am considering is a crash bar and then a center stand. I'm leaning towards the Givi. I've been riding street bikes through the area for the past 19 years so the DL should be able to go anywhere I need to go, and I'm used to going carefully in the rough.

I have trials bikes for getting adventurous and getting into back country areas.

·
Premium Member
4,451 Posts
Welcome Dmole, I am sure the Wee will serve you well. Looking forward to some off pavement reports in the future.

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here is the Wee Strom.

I have ordered a set of Pat Walsh Guards and won't try any off road riding until I get them installed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts