StromTrooper banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my first bike, a 2003 Triumph Bonneville T100 for about three years now and have been thinking about trading it in for something else and the Wee was right up there on the list of bikes I wanted to test ride. So, Friday night my wife and I rode up to a local dealership and I test rode a used 08 and was very impressed. To make a long story short, I am going up and signing the paperwork on a NEW 2011 Wee as soon as it stops frigging raining around here. The bike is mine, I just have to turn over the Bonnie and sign the paperwork.

The weather is really annoying me, I've ridden in the rain and will again, I just don't want to ride a brand new bike that I am unfamiliar with home through thunderstorms.

Oh yeah, the farkling has already begun. Centerstand and Sargent seat were both ordered through the dealership(got a bit of a discount) and I have a set of Givi 21's on the way. Suzuki has a deal on the OEM bags but I really prefer a top opening design.

·
Registered
15,410 Posts
I found the MRA shield on my WEe makes a great place to ride as long as it doesn't rain. Then nothing helps. Downpours suck! Enjoy the new toy.

·
$tromtrooper
2,378 Posts
Welcome, and enjoy.

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
Riding the Wee in the rain won't be the problem [these bikes just seem to "fit" and are easy to ride, but it will feel taller and a bit top heavy compared to the Bonnie- for the first week, after that you won't even notice it].

The bigger issue is that you will be on new tyres that haven't been "scrubbed in", be careful.

Did you get the ABS model?

You will love the Wee, and they last forever.

Mine [09] has 44,500km on it now, still on original chain and sprockets, front brake pads [just replaced first set of rear pads 200km ago].
Absolutely no other issues.

Welcome to the forum. :thumbup:

·
Registered
244 Posts
welcome, too bad you can't keep the bonnie. i wish i had kept my '99 tbird - such a fun bike!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Riding the Wee in the rain won't be the problem [these bikes just seem to "fit" and are easy to ride, but it will feel taller and a bit top heavy compared to the Bonnie- for the first week, after that you won't even notice it].

The bigger issue is that you will be on new tyres that haven't been "scrubbed in", be careful.

Did you get the ABS model?

You will love the Wee, and they last forever.

Mine [09] has 44,500km on it now, still on original chain and sprockets, front brake pads [just replaced first set of rear pads 200km ago].
Absolutely no other issues.

Welcome to the forum. :thumbup:
Very different feel than the Bonnie, once I get used to it I think I'm really going to love it. I'm a pretty big guy (6'2" 260lbs, 34" inseam) and the Wee just fits so much better.

Yes, it does have ABS, just one of a whole bunch of things that the Bonnie didn't.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Welcome. I got my Wee last month and I'm enjoying it a lot. My only issue is the tendancy it has to want to go to sleep (on its side) when stationary if you let it get too far from vertical! However sounds like you're big enough and tall enough to keep it awake.

I think all 2011 Wees have ABS. They don't make the non-ABS version anymore. ABS is one of the reasons I bought the bike.

I rode through my first rainstorm on it at the weekend. Rain's not a lot of fun on any bike, but it felt stable and I was very glad I had the ABS (even though I thankfully didn't need it this time).

·
Registered
297 Posts
Welcome

Welcome to the club, have to ask (Pearl White or black model?)You will enjoy the bike alot. I got mine at the beginning of the summer and love her.
A few must farkles that are a must are:

- Madstad adjustable bracket (A touring window shield is optional)
- Stabel Air horn (The stock mouse chirp is nothing to write home about)
- GAS MONEY

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Welcome to the club, have to ask (Pearl White or black model?)You will enjoy the bike alot. I got mine at the beginning of the summer and love her.

- GAS MONEY
The black one, it's not going to stay plain back forever though, I'm a bit of a geek so I have a couple of concepts that I am thinking about. My Bonnie flew WWII RAF roundels on the side covers and had the lettering for a No.71 Squadron (one of the three Eagle Squadrons) aircraft on the ped slicer. The Eagle squadrons were American pilots who flew with the Royal Air Force before the US entered WWII, seemed kinda appropriate for a Yank riding a Brit bike.

My farkle list in the order of want:
Seat(done)

Center stand(done)

Hard luggage(done)

Peg lowering kit from RR

Madstad bracket

Bash plate(I won't be doing any rock hopping, but I don't like that oil filter sitting out there like that, way too much junk on the streets of Philly)

Large soft tailbag, the hard luggage will be great for day to day use but when my wife and I go any trips I will have to carry most of the stuff, the bags on her S40 are about the size of a lunch box. If Ventura makes one that will fit with the Givi racks that is my first choice so far.

·
Premium Member
82 Posts

- GAS MONEY
Welcome to the club! I too just picked up my 2007 DL650 the first of June. Been looking at them for a year or two and finally decided to sell my sportbike and go with the WeeStrom (my wife is enjoying the ride much better). You will love the bike, easy to put tons of miles on, very reliable and easy on gas. :hurray:

·
Registered
126 Posts
My farkle list in the order of want:
Seat(done)

Center stand(done)

Hard luggage(done)

Peg lowering kit from RR

Madstad bracket

Bash plate(I won't be doing any rock hopping, but I don't like that oil filter sitting out there like that, way too much junk on the streets of Philly)

Large soft tailbag, the hard luggage will be great for day to day use but when my wife and I go any trips I will have to carry most of the stuff, the bags on her S40 are about the size of a lunch box. If Ventura makes one that will fit with the Givi racks that is my first choice so far.
Don't forget Grip Puppies! :hurray:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Don't forget Grip Puppies! :hurray:
I did forget to mention them, the stock grips are tiny and while the buzzing is much reduced from the Bonnie I still want larger softer grips. I'm taking a ride up to a small local dealership on Saturday with my wife so she can get her bike inspected and I want to see what they have on the shelf and if nothing catches my eye I'm just going to order a set of Pups.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I managed to get the new Wee out for it's first real ride on Saturday, did about 125 miles over 3 1/2 hours. It was the typical mix of riding that I deal with around Philly, stoplight to stoplight puttering, a bit of highway just to stretch things out, and some nice back roads where the real fun is. Overall I was very happy with the way the ride went.

The Sargent seat is much more comfy than the ironing board I had on the Bonnie, the grips are tiny in my oversize paws and I ordered a set of Grip Puppies when I got home as my hands were actually starting to cramp a bit. The new seat and a bit more front end preload kept me from sliding forward and the peg position was good for the distance I did but for long days I am going to want to get the lowering kit from RR. I set the windscreen to it's highest setting which I was pretty happy with, of course I am used to a naked bike with my visor and jacket being the only thing between me and the breeze.

I kept the hooligan factor to an absolute minimum due to a combination of new bike, new tires and the fact that I am not a real aggressive rider anyway. The handling and performance were just what I was looking for although I need to work on my throttle/clutch management in the stop and go crap, the Bonnie was alot more forgiving in that area.

First fill up was 4.09 gallons and 169 miles on the clock, not bad considering that a good portion of it was the urban crawling that we city riders have to deal with.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts