StromTrooper banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last Friday - Minneapolis Minnesota - 19 deg F - Grey Day - It would be a good morning to move my new 03 V-Strom from the storage shed in my back yard to the garage - NOT!
The dealer delivered the bike the end of November on a trailer and I pushed it directly into storage, never even ran the engine. While in the shop I installed Wilbers rear spring over the stock shock and lowered the rear with Seth's +8mm dog bones. Same type treatment to the front with Wilbers progressive fork springs Race-Tech Synt. Oil and lowered the forks in the tripple clamp 18mm. Installed the SW Motec bag mounts and GIVI crash bars.
I live on a narrow block so I have a street in front and a street in back. Because of the snow still in my back yard I would have to ride the back street to the corner (3 houses) and up the front street to the garage. This whole effort should not require more than 10 min to complete including warm up. I rolled it out the shop - started it and let it run while I locked every thing up. My ears were getting cold so before locking the shop I reached in and grabbed an old 3/4 helmet with a face shield. I didnt even buckle it. It was only for my ears. I was wearing a dress leather jacket. wingtip shoes, $50 slacks and nice new leather gloves my wife gave me at Christmas. I wanted to get this move done before it warmed up for the day so I wouldn't leave any tracks in the soft yard. We have had a few fairly nice days this spring and everything seems to freeze at night and thaw out durring the day. The snow is slowly going away.
Well let's go. I get on and I am thinking forward to tonight, I am planning to get the first 20 or 30 miles when I get home from work. I'm pumped. This thing sounds soo nice. 1st gear a little throttle - and were off 5, 12, 15 25mph still first gear slow for the left turn - start in and whamm! WTF! I'm on the ground. How can that be? I'm back on my feet right now - fastest I have moved in years. (I'm 55 years old) I grab the bike by the left bar end and left passenger grab and stand it up - no problem. With the kick stand down and the bike just standing there in the street I am absolutly dumb-founded as to what has just occurred. I get back on my now less that perfect new motorcycle with less than 300 feet of riding time, start it up and continue to the garage. I am just heart broken. Man, does my right thumb hurt or what! And how did I see out of that screwed up helmet with the broken face shield with all the scratches on the outside and all that snott and stuff on the inside. Well lets see now - am I hurt? No, I don't think so, except for a jammed thumb, oh oh, my chest hurts - seems I might have lossened up a few ribs where they hook up to your sternum. Not to bad thought, really. The helmet took a shot, as well as the $50 slacks, the new gloves are toast, the jacket is OK and the shoes just need some polishing. I guess I am going to be OK. Not a scratch. But WTF happen?
I walked down to the corner to see if I could figure what happen. The mystery is over I can see it plain as day. The weather here has been melting a lot of snow lately and there is water running in the storm sewers. This corner has two man hole covers in it. One is easy to see and is 5 feet or so from my path. The other has been paved over with tarmac but the holes in the top of the cover are all open. This one steams up sometimes if there is runoff water under it, and if when that happens, and if the surface is cold enough it will make a nice round area of thick dark colored frost on the road and if you ride a motorcycle over it Whamm! When the front wheel kicked out on the turn the bike fell inside far enough to drag the center stand, hard. The center stand jacked the tires up and right out from under me. This is better than a high side IMHO. Im glad I wasn't going fast. I'm glad my ears were cold. I'm glad it was a helmet hanging on the nail instead of a stocking cap. I'm glad I had the gloves on. I am still alittle sore, my thumb is still a little stiff but OK.
My wonderfull new V-Strom is not the worse for wear. If you dont have crash bars - get some. The GIVI bars did OK - not a scratch on any plastic or the tank or fender. The only damage is to my pride, the clutch lever, (broken) Left hand guard, (broken) scratches on the bottom of the left rear set, center stand. minor rash on the back of the left mirror and the bottom of the left front blinker and left bar end.
Dress up to fall down!!

W

·
0 Posts
Hey R!

Sorry to hear about the fall. Hope you're back up and riding, soon. Take care of the ribs, though. Give them time to heal, but never get discouraged. Good thing you have the Givi case guards. I swear by mine. I use a pair of Givi E21 side cases and the left one has taken a beating when the bike gets dumped, but it costs less than $40 to replace the banged up bottom.

As much as I complain about Seattle's gray days, we rarely get more than two weeks a year of icy road conditions and many riders are year-rounders, that is except for Hardly riders who are conspicuously absent whenever there's rain in the forecast. Must be the chome...<grin>

·
Registered
351 Posts
Drop

Ron

I figure its good to fall down once in a while, as long as you can get up and walk away it's a good learning experience. I have scuffed my bike and broken items off as you have. Its funny the front brake lever does not seem to break off when dropped, just the clutch lever. I was wondering since the bike is brand new are the tires broken in. Just replaced my front tire today; had to tip toe the bike home in the rain.
I didn't maintain the battery properly over the winter now I need a new one. Good to hear your OK. When you start cranking off the miles give us a report on the Wilbers.

Take Care

Scooter

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi scooter
The tire is pretty new. It has about 200 feet on it. Still had the color markings. Ron

W

·
0 Posts
First Metaphysical Law of Motorcycling:
Riders far more likely to drop their bikes at a crawl or dead stop than at any other speed.

Second Metaphysical Law of Motorcycling:
Riders are most likely to personally experience the first law in front of as many of their closest and most dearest friends as possible. Many of whom will not hesitate to publically remind the fallen rider of their encounter with the first law when doing so will incur the most humiliation possible.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts