StromTrooper banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up an '02 DL1000 with 18K on the clock for a steal..and am really happy with the purchase so far! It definitely needs the clutch done (PM already sent), and I need to do some routine maintenance (plugs, filters, oil, etc.). Just wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction for a TB sync (the sticky doesn't seem to have any pictures in it), and any other useful info?
Thanks!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info, looks like it'll work great!
Aside from the clutch, plugs, air filter, oil change, sprocket and chain replacement, and clutch shaft seals, is there anything else I should be doing to this bike?

·
Registered
987 Posts
I have an '07 and my clutch has been tough as nails--no problems whatsoever, but I have heard there were a few clutch problems with the '02's and '03's--there was a vibration called "chudder". It can be corrected though, I heard Suzuki corrected a bunch of em years ago. Other than the chudder your bike should be a great performer.
The TBS is an easy thing to do once you become familiar with the process. Some guys do a TBS about once a month whether they need to or not--just because it is pretty easy to do once you get the hang of it. I do the TBS about once a year.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've heard back from Terry, so it's moving forward on the clutch..any other tuneup/maintenance items I'm missing from my list?

·
Registered
386 Posts
I've heard back from Terry, so it's moving forward on the clutch..any other tuneup/maintenance items I'm missing from my list?
Perhaps the brake and clutch fluids could be flushed, depends on if you know when the last time this was done. If you're doing the sprockets then you'll be pulling the clutch master cyl.... may as well do the flush while you are at it.

·
Registered
278 Posts
If you do the clutch basket and you are getting any antifreeze out of the hose that goes to the weep hole on the water pump its a good time to replace the impeller and seals in the water pump when you have the clutch cover off and all the fluids drained. Mine was leaking a little when I had Real Shelby do my clutch basket and it seems to be a lot of people have had to replace their seals too. The Real Shelby basket is a really great mod I love the way my bike runs now.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
While its torn apart go ahead and check the valve shim clearance. It's not to hard with the below instructions and a service manual.

Engine valves adjustment: Can you help me understand the procedure?

Also I changed out the fork fluid on my 2002 over the winter. My Vee had 23000 miles on it and the fluid smelled like nasty/burnt auto transfluid. :thumbdown: I didn't put new springs in only a fluid change but the front end feels a lot better.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys for all the advice, I was planning on doing both brakes, and the clutch bleed already..and obviously coolant..I will check around the water pump for leaks. I hadn't thought about the fork fluid, guess that might be wise as well. Anybody recommend a good service manual for the bike?
Kind of sucks having a "new to me" bike, and not being able to drive it for a few more weeks due to maintenance..then it's off to some farkles!

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Anybody recommend a good service manual for the bike?
This site, vstrom.info, (paid subscriptions to both are money very well spent), and blacklabadventures.com are sometimes more helpful than the factory service manual (I have one).

·
Premium Member
965 Posts
Just picked up an '02 DL1000 with 18K on the clock for a steal..and am really happy with the purchase so far! It definitely needs the clutch done (PM already sent), and I need to do some routine maintenance (plugs, filters, oil, etc.). Just wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction for a TB sync (the sticky doesn't seem to have any pictures in it), and any other useful info?
Thanks!
Be sure to clean the gunk from behind the clutch slave cylinder. Excess chain lube that accumulates there carries in all sorts of small pieces of gravel and stuff.

In 2004 Suzuki added a rubber piece that protects the cylinder from debris.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Actually I ordered all the seals to replace that area (the bike does have a small amount of oil leaking from the pushrod area), figured it was as good a time as any to replace the sprockets while in there. I HOPE I ordered the correct sprockets..I wasn't able to find a definitive answer as to the stock tooth counts, and haven't pulled the cover yet...my luck is usually the same..If I don't have the replacement parts before I start to put everything back together..I'm bound to mess it up!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Actually I ordered all the seals to replace that area (the bike does have a small amount of oil leaking from the pushrod area), figured it was as good a time as any to replace the sprockets while in there. I HOPE I ordered the correct sprockets..I wasn't able to find a definitive answer as to the stock tooth counts, and haven't pulled the cover yet...my luck is usually the same..If I don't have the replacement parts before I start to put everything back together..I'm bound to mess it up!
Sprockets 17/41 many change them out to give more zip.
FS

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Okay, I guessed right, ordered 17/41, and a 525 chain..does this sound right?
also wondering when you mention changing sizes, is there a "real" as in mind blowing difference in changing sizes, or did Suzuki do a good job of pretty much nailing it for versatility? (I don't ride much dirt, if at all, so I'm going to be using this as more of a sports tourer..I like how much higher it sits than my Triumph sprint, and it definitely feels more comfortable)! Also it has a custom RMC seat, does anyone know if it's worth getting the seat adjusted in any way (it doesn't feel uncomfortable, but it's a lot wider than my backside)!

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Kind of sucks having a "new to me" bike, and not being able to drive it for a few more weeks due to maintenance..then it's off to some farkles!
It does suck but with a 10 year old machine. It's nice to have all new fluids and seals so your riding time will be long and trouble free from the start.

The gearing is up to you. Stock is good out on the highway but in-town a little to high for some. The bad part on any gear change, it will effect the speedo more than what it is already off from the factory. The stock 17/41 525 set is what I went back with also.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I've heard the stock speedo is off, but the PO has a "bike gadget" attached to the bike that's supposed to be correct..even if it looks a little cheesy! I had a 25 mile trip home, and the faster I went the further it was off, but not by leaps and bounds, more like maybe 7 MPH at 80MPH..does that seem about right?
I have owned at least 15 bikes in the last 2 years (I love to buy low, fix, and sell high) but this one truly seems like a keeper..It's faster, and seems more powerful than the GS's I've owned, shifts smoother, and feels "solid" on the road, even in the crosswinds. It's also great that the farkles are at 1/2 price and more readily available..I plan to load this bad boy up as soon as I can get it on the road!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts