StromTrooper banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Sorry if this is an old topic but I couldn't find the answer when I searched under "Heated Grips".

I've heard a lot of people use a little wire that's found at the front of the bike to run power to their grips, but does that wire have its own relay or do you run a relay *from* that point to the grips?

A better explaination: Since heated grips tend to produce a lot of heat/resistance, it's a good idea to install a relay to protect the switch and the bike's electrical system. When I installed aftermarket grips on my '05KLR 650 I plugged the relay into the existing wire (called the "city light wire") and then on to the switch and grips.

My question is, do you need to install a relay or is a relay already wired into the sytem *before* it reaches the point at which you plug the grips into it?
And/or if I run the OEM ($$$) heated grips do they have a built-in relay in them that negates the need for a separate relay?

Was that clear enough?:p ;)

-T

·
Premium Member
3,722 Posts
The factory connector is connected in parallel with the front brake light circuit before the switch. There is no relay in the circuit. My Symtec grip heaters draw less than 3 amps for the pair on high so there is really no need for one.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
That connector is, after all, designed and placed to feed Suzuki's heated grips.

·
Registered
640 Posts
I use a separate relay and use the OEM grip heater wire to pull my relay in, the wire should work just fine by itself.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Can anyone tell me the easiest way to find the wire to hook up the power wire for the symtec heated grips? i was going to run another lead from the battery but having it turned off when the ignition is off would be better i think
thanks
mike

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
The horn lead which will plug into the stock heated grips connector is part number 36852-06G00. Do a search on that number and you'll get lots of posts on finding and using the connector behind the radiator.

·
Registered
278 Posts
thanks Pat. i'll do that.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts