StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am still debating on getting a top case E55 or some side cases (Will get both at some point). I am personally leaning more toward side cases just because I like the look more but its more feasible to get the top case. I mostly commute right now and the E55 would hold my work stuff (Computer, lunch, clothes, shoes etc. Once at work I can place my helmet, jacket etc in the case.

While riding with my wife we both could use the top case to put both helmets in and maybe both jackets. She would either do that then use her bike helmet lock on her bike.

Now to the help, I only see pictures of Wees with the E36L as panniers which Givi says holds one helmet, Medium and below (I wear Large with current helmet.) From what I can tell the E45 would fit my helmet but I don't know the size difference when it comes to how they look on the bike.

Pictures of either or both?

Also, is it over doing it going for 45L? I do plan to do some rides to Upper State NY and FL but not sure if it’s something I can use on a daily basis.

·
Registered
392 Posts
width

Check the overall width of the bike using the bigger bags. The smaller ones make the bike pretty wide, the bigger ones will be very wide.

It's a bike, you need to pack light. There's also a weight limit to consider, if you pack a 55 liter trunk, two 45 liter bags, you and your wife, I'd bet you'll be way over the maximum limit of weight for the bike. It'll also get very tail heavy and the handling will be just awful.

Bill H.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In the words of my wife, "I doesn't ride Bitch." So I don't ever see riding two up. It would just be me and the luggage and my wife on her bike.
Mainly, this is my first bike so this is all new to me, easy to pull the trigger on the bike but hard to know the best luggage setup to go with. I have had the bike for two months and put 1255 miles on it.... loving every minute of it.

·
Registered
146 Posts
While not an answer to your exact question, I find the top box more useful and convenient than the side cases in general. If I'm only going to go with one setup, it will be top box and no side cases. I know it doesn't look as good, but the top box is just easier to get in and out of, doesn't make the bike any wider, and doesn't spill things out on the ground when you open it.
Just something to think about...

·
Registered
275 Posts
Stratlanta's right..... it looks a little goofy, but running with just the topbox is the way to go. I do it all the time, but I could care less how it looks.... it's that functional. Also, I have the E52 and don't think you're gonna get two helmets and two jackets in there..... not with armor in the shoulders, elbows and back anyhow. I squeeze my sz lg helmet and sz lg jacket in the E52.... but not much else if those two items are in there. I have the Givi V35s on my Honda and a lg helmet fits in those sizeways if you choose to go that route. They are nice boxes.

·
Registered
522 Posts
If you are going to do it in stages, then go with the top box first. Way handier than the saddlebags for everyday use. Plus you can get a pad fopr the top box and use it for a backrest for your passengers.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Stratlanta's right..... it looks a little goofy, but running with just the topbox is the way to go. I do it all the time, but I could care less how it looks.... it's that functional. Also, I have the E52 and don't think you're gonna get two helmets and two jackets in there..... not with armor in the shoulders, elbows and back anyhow. I squeeze my sz lg helmet and sz lg jacket in the E52.... but not much else if those two items are in there. I have the Givi V35s on my Honda and a lg helmet fits in those sizeways if you choose to go that route. They are nice boxes.
I've got the V35's as well and I like them. They don't make the bike quite as wide and there is still symmetry from the back (that kind of thing bothers me.. haha). But my Vee is all about functionality as much as fun, so if it's not functional it doesn't go on the bike.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I've got the V35's as well and I like them. They don't make the bike quite as wide and there is still symmetry from the back (that kind of thing bothers me.. haha). But my Vee is all about functionality as much as fun, so if it's not functional it doesn't go on the bike.
Yeah I love the V 35s..... They are the Honda OEM hardbags made by Givi for the VFR. Truly the best option for the VFR.

R

·
0 Posts
I am still debating on getting a top case E55 or some side cases (Will get both at some point). I am personally leaning more toward side cases just because I like the look more but its more feasible to get the top case. I mostly commute right now and the E55 would hold my work stuff....
One thing you might consider. If you are going to be keeping the bike for a while, you may find the side bag mounts wear due to vibration and abrasive debris entering the latches.
I had a set of Givi bags on my previous bike and they were a bit wobbly after 8 or 9 years of year round riding. They never fell off but they rattled a fair bit.
I think the top box would less prone to that wear.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
I have the E41 Keyless side bags. Love them. One of the nicest things about them is that you don't have to use a key to get into them to put small things into them. Just dial in a four digit combo and the door at the top flips open. If you want to put large things into them, then use the key and they open suit case style. One caution though. They take a little getting used to when riding with them as they make the arse end of the bike wide. I had trouble brushing up against things when in tight spots at first. :headbang: Now that I have had them on the bike a while, I watch closer when things get tight. Lots of room in them too.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I commute and have used just the top case for a couple years. Some suggestions if you go that route. Get the largest top case possible. You will always have occasion to grocery shop or get off the bike and have to put your helmet, jacket, over pants, and maybe even your boots somewhere. I kept a web bungee on the rear seat which hold a lot of overflow. I also carry around a cable lock. If I am in a location that I don't trust, I can loop the cable through the jacket, pants, and helmet onto the bike if the trunk is full.

I just got some E21s which are a good size for commuting and are cheap enough that I can get another set of luggage if I want to go for a cross country trip. I also have a large waterproof bag for the backseat. With the E21s, the trunk and the bag, I can hold over 170 liters of junk for camping.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Be aware there was a study about the aerodynamic effects of a top case on motorcycles. If I remember correctly, compared to side cases, tank bags, or wind shields, it had the greatest adverse effect on stability. I read the study years ago and I think it was done at an engineering institute in Europe. Maybe someone on this forum can point you in the correct direction. Just something consider.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
like most otheres have said, the top box is really handy. i've recently taken my top box off in favor of my new set up. i run the side bags for normal errands (which i rarely do now) and for my high mile camping trips, i run the side bags with a big U shaped bag. two side of the u lay on top of the side cases and the back spans out across the rack. I can carry ten day supplies including soft cooler and a wal mart folding chair.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Be aware there was a study about the aerodynamic effects of a top case on motorcycles. If I remember correctly, compared to side cases, tank bags, or wind shields, it had the greatest adverse effect on stability. I read the study years ago and I think it was done at an engineering institute in Europe. Maybe someone on this forum can point you in the correct direction. Just something consider.
I don't have side bags (yet) but I do have a large, 46L Givi top case, and yes it does effect stability. Empty or light loads it's not very noticeable, but it does catch some wind at speed which you can feel at times, but is somewhat subtle.

Where it is most noticeable is with a heavy load. When I'm commuting to work with my laptop backpack, work shoes etc in there, I can definitely feel it when cornering; it wants to fall into corners a bit , and transitions side to side slower. Kinda like riding a passenger that doesn't lean with you quite correctly.

That said, the utility and convenience far outweighs the minor handling foibles, IMO. I'm looking to add side bags soon for more capacity.

·
Registered
275 Posts
So when I 1st went to just a top box I didn't notice a whole lot of difference in handling. Then I added the happy trails boxes over winter. This last week I took all the luggage off and ran that way a couple days. Now I can definitely feel the difference. Not that having the luggage feels impeding.... But this is the first time since last Sep I've had nothing on and it felt really really good!

·
Administrator
13,664 Posts
I have an E52 topcase, a pair of E41's, and a pair of #21's. The topcase is always on the bike, I avoid the side cases and only put them on if I absolutely have to. I wold much rather have something on my back seat than have the sidecases on.

I have never sen any aero issues with the topcase, but you can feel the drag of the side cases in higher speed riding.

..Tom

1 - 20 of 20 Posts