StromTrooper banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m getting ready to pick up a Gel Seat for my 1K. My question is about the tall touring seat. Does it have the gel inserts or is it just a taller seat? I’m 6’6’ and like the looks of the tall seat but have read all the positives about the gel. I don’t like the large ridge between the rider and passenger part and it looks like the tall seat may have less of a ridge there. Not to much difference in the price from Oneida , $30.
So am I right in assuming that the tall seat does not have gel?
I have put 30,000 on the stock seat and now the seam has separated on the ridge on top.
Thanks

·
Registered
703 Posts
You are correct. There is no gel in the Tall seat. As to the Gel seat, I have been riding mine for about 18 months now. It is a BIG improvement over the stock seat. The seat is wider, taller, and more firm. On the stock seat, I would get horrible pains in my hips after just a couple of hours. No more with the Gel. It's shape, and the density of the foam, as well as the comfort of the gel insert make a huge difference.

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
One thing to be aware of with any gel seat is to be mindful of not parking in direct sunlight. Gel gets very hot and holds the heat well. The gel seat was a huge improvement over stock but I did have to park to side of the building at work that had trees blocking the sun or my ride home was very warm and uncomfortable.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
I have a tall touring seat in great shape for sale if you're interested. I have an ad in the For Sale section.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
+1 on the gel. I couldn't walk after 45 mins on the stock. I could run the tank dry now before I "have" to stop.

·
Registered
172 Posts
carry a small white towel to put over the gel seat when parked in the sun. Some elastic straps sewn on to keep it on in the wind. The Gel can and will get REALLY REALLY HOT!!!!! and stay hot for a long time and burn the heck out of your you-know-what!!!!!! don't ask me how I know.

·
Registered
505 Posts
One question I always had about the Suzuki gel seat. Why isn't the gel pad also for the passenger? There was a thread on here where a site member took his apart and the gel was only for the driver. I had almost decided to get the gel seat but for that reason decided against it. Wouldn't do my wife much good...

·
Premium Member
3,722 Posts
You will not regret it. 13K later, it's the best thing I did to my otherwise great bike. I'm a big proponent of the Suzuki Gel Seat. It is the seat they should ship the bike with.
I completely disagree. I had a gel seat. Rode to work and back home on it once or twice and that was enough for me. Much too wide, much too tall, much too hot. I went back to the stock seat and never looked back.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I completely disagree. I had a gel seat. Rode to work and back home on it once or twice and that was enough for me. Much too wide, much too tall, much too hot. I went back to the stock seat and never looked back.
Perfect,
I’m 6’6” so tall is good, 350 lbs so wide is good. I live in Utah and it never gets hot here…. “ Alaska sheepskin cover”
I also park inside my shop at work

·
Registered
253 Posts
You will not regret it. 13K later, it's the best thing I did to my otherwise great bike. I'm a big proponent of the Suzuki Gel Seat. It is the seat they should ship the bike with.

Just ordered the Gel seat, hopefully it will be here today before I leave for the east rally tommorrow at the Iron Horse. Should be a good test of it if it arrives in time.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Just ordered the Gel seat, hopefully it will be here today before I leave for the east rally tommorrow at the Iron Horse. Should be a good test of it if it arrives in time.
Where did you order it from? I'm more than likely going to pick one up, but don't know where to buy them.

Thanks,
Jason

·
Registered
253 Posts
Just recieved the gel seat a few minutes ago. Ordered it from Onieda Suzuki for $159 plus shipping. I ordered it Sunday afternoon with three day shipping and got it in three days. Great! Inititial observation, it is approx. 1'' higher than the stock seat. Definitely wider and flatter in the seating area. Sitting on the bike, on the center stand, the position is more on the butt bones and less on the "jewels". Handlebar reach seems about the same. Knees not bent quite as much due to higher seating position. Tomorrow will tell the tell as I travel to the East Rally.

http://www.oneidasuzuki.com/store/parts-accessories/gel-seat-dl650-dl1000.html

·
Registered
18 Posts
Just recieved the gel seat a few minutes ago. Ordered it from Onieda Suzuki for $159 plus shipping. I ordered it Sunday afternoon with three day shipping and got it in three days. Great! Inititial observation, it is approx. 1'' higher than the stock seat. Definitely wider and flatter in the seating area. Sitting on the bike, on the center stand, the position is more on the butt bones and less on the "jewels". Handlebar reach seems about the same. Knees not bent quite as much due to higher seating position. Tomorrow will tell the tell as I travel to the East Rally.

http://www.oneidasuzuki.com/store/parts-accessories/gel-seat-dl650-dl1000.html
Great, thanks for the link! I ended up buying one yesterday. Should be here next week hopefully.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts