StromTrooper banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This guy in Arizona built a GPS (with thermometer) from basic kit parts, welded up an enclosure, and even used a 3-D printer to fabricate custom connectors and a mount for the screen.
Arduino + Motorcycle == Motoduino! « HeatSync Labs

EDIT: I'm not suggesting this is the best way to get GPS, so don't bother telling me how crappy it is. I just enjoy the fact that it's even possible to build one's own GPS system without being an electrical engineer -- can you imagine doing that as recently as 5 years ago? The fact that he printed his connectors, power supply mount, and the handlebar bracket for the screen is just freaking cool. And yes, the person who wrote the article doesn't know a thing about motorcycles.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
I admire the can-do spirit, and I love home-made farkles, but that looks like a disaster.

Worse, GPS units are getting very inexpensive...I just picked up a batch of 4 TomTom 720's with various problems for $50, cobbled 3 of them together into working units for under $20 in parts. You can get a bricked one and re-do it with not much hassle, hacking them for open-source maps is easy.

·
Premium Member
2,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's definitely one of those just-because-you-can sort of projects. And yes, it looks like ass.

·
Premium Member
15,739 Posts
He's going to get laughed out of the latte shop turning up on that bike with a farkle that isn't chromed to within an inch of it's life.

·
Premium Member
2,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He's going to get laughed out of the latte shop turning up on that bike with a farkle that isn't chromed to within an inch of it's life.
Check the video -- the tank is brushed steel, and it doesn't look like a pro finish either.

·
Premium Member
15,739 Posts
"Rene went ahead and built this sports bike"

So Rene now has a screen in front of him that tells him his latitude and longitude as he rides along. I must say that's something I've felt I've been missing out on during my last 39 years of riding motorcycles - not! :)

·
Registered
64 Posts
Just been looking at the pelican case for an iphone. The GPS application is only $25.00 Aus. Much cheaper in the long run to update maps and dont need power and talking can be heard on bluetooth or earplug leads.:thumbup:

·
Premium Member
15,739 Posts
The GPS application is only $25.00 Aus.
And you are happy to be paying for constant downloads of data every time the screen refreshes? I hope that you have a good data plan and great 3G reception everywhere you ride.

·
Premium Member
15,739 Posts
The iPhone GPS by default is not a real GPS it gets it's data through the phone network and every screen has to be downloaded as required meaning constant data downloads as you ride. Turning roaming off will kill the app probably.
You can buy a TomTom iPhone app for $80.00 that loads all the maps onto your phone exactly the same way a real GPS works. If you do that you will of course need to pay TomTom from time to time to update the maps.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Thanks K1W1. It may still be the way to go as you can also use the iphone for music etc. Wonder if anyone else has tried this. If so your comments would be greatly appreciated.:confused:

·
Premium Member
15,739 Posts
The iPhone (with the TomTom maps at least) will be next to useless if you venture off designated roads.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts