StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just returned from visiting Chicago's IMS, the last in this year's series.

It's been 2 years since I attended this show, and I can't say I'm all that compelled to return.

First off, it seemed the number of bike manufacturers at the show were significantly reduced...in fact, there were no European brands represented at all, just the Big 4 Japanese, American brands HD/Indian/Zero, and Royal Enfield. But, for me, that's not the biggest deal; while it's fun to sit on and see new bikes, there's virtually no likelihood I'll be buying anything that new anytime in the foreseeable future.

The big draw for me used to be the ability to try on and even purchase new gear. I had my eye out for a possible replacement for my mesh jacket, some new mesh pants, or possibily even a new helmet. The selection was very minimal, especially for anything in the Hi-Viz colors I require. When I did find the odd item to consider, the 'show pricing' was no better than I could get from several online retailers.

My brother, who attended with me, was hopeful to get molded ear plugs. The last time we went, there were at least 3 purveyors of these systems; this time there were none.

Of course, there were plenty of opportunities to fill out my collection of leather accessories, patches, and pins...

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have been to that show a couple of times.
It is something to do when the weather is still bad, but I will probably never go to the Chicago show again.

There is a much smaller, similar show in Indianapolis next weekend, but is the local dealers that I go to every two or three years but nothing ever changes, but again is an excuse to get out and see the latest stuff. ( I am going with a friend)

The plus side in Indianapolis is that your admission also includes the Boat, Sport and Travel show if you have other interests and is much closer for me.

·
Registered
14,228 Posts
i noticed the lack of pull several years ago at Long Beach. I need to pay some bucks for them to tempt me into buying another new toy? I don't pay to shop anywhere. Dang sure not Disney Land and No motorcycle show.

·
Premium Member
572 Posts
The Minneapolis show was very good. Cycle gear had a ton of stuff there to try on and buy. Revzilla had less. Plus a lot of smaller independent sellers. Including moldable ear plugs. Zero had a wheelie rig and some bikes to ride on a small track. All the major mfg seemed to be there.

·
Registered
473 Posts
What does it cost for parking around the show? $12 in MN for 1-6 hrs. I hear the Chicago show is best but I don't really like trying to get down town.
You found parking for $12? I parked outside for $15. I did enjoy seeing Bret Tkacs of Mototrek. Yamaha and Harley returned to Mpls after a hiatus last year, BMW was also there, and I had a nice chat with the KTM folks. Hopefully MotoGuzzi, Aprilla, Ducati will wander back next year. $13 burger basket and the cheese was cold. I tried on some A-Stars pants (Andes?), but did't pull the trigger.I really was jonesin' the Politburo Red Ural sidecar rig. I have no possible need or place for one, but I still want it.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I hear the Chicago show is best but I don't really like trying to get down town.
The Chicago IMS takes place in Rosemont (out by O'Hare), and a good 30 minutes from downtown. Downtown is consumed with the Chicago Auto Show at the McCormick, which occurs the same weekend each year.

·
Registered
30 Posts
The Chicago IMS takes place in Rosemont (out by O'Hare), and a good 30 minutes from downtown. Downtown is consumed with the Chicago Auto Show at the McCormick, which occurs the same weekend each year.
That makes more sense. I was thinking the auto show was at McCormick (which is a very impressive venue for the auto show). Sad that the bike show becomes an afterthought due to the timing. Maybe selection and perks at the bike show are down from years past, because overall bike sales are down and never recovered.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I've gone to two IMS shows in NYC back in '11 & '08. The first was pretty good, but I noticed the second wasn't as good, less bikes and less gear. Being it was an 8 hr. round trip I never went back. I also bought some custom molded $70 ear plugs that didn't work.

We have smaller local shows that I would attend, and again for the first few years they were pretty good, but would become smaller each year, half heartedly put together by local dealers. Eventually I stopped going after I payed my $18 admission fee and went through the show in about 18 minutes.

What me and friends do now is Motorcycle Day. On a Saturday in late winter we'll visit all the local shops, half lunch, hit more shops. It's a lot of fun, and basically free. We have/had a lot of great dealers, every brand with some dealers having great gear departments. Unfortunately a lot of dealers have closed up in the last few years.

·
Super Moderator
16,234 Posts
I think it's an industry on life support to be honest, todays youth and young adults couldn't care less about motorcycling. Several of my buds have been to multiple shows the last few years, they said the decline in vendors/OEM and attendance took a big drop across the board.

·
Registered
208 Posts
You got lucky with the 4 japanese showing.

at the Washington DC show. Only Suzuki and Kawasaki showed up. No Yamaha nor Honda from the factory. BMW and KTM factory were missing as well.

SUch a disapointment.

·
Premium Member
572 Posts
You got lucky with the 4 japanese showing.

at the Washington DC show. Only Suzuki and Kawasaki showed up. No Yamaha nor Honda from the factory. BMW and KTM factory were missing as well.

SUch a disapointment.
Minneapolis had
Suzuki, Kawasaki, Yamaha, Honda, Harley, Indian, Zero, Vanderhall, BMW (local dealer), KTM (local dealer)

·
Registered
473 Posts
Minneapolis had
Suzuki, Kawasaki, Yamaha, Honda, Harley, Indian, Zero, Vanderhall, BMW (local dealer), KTM (local dealer)
Add CanAm and Ural (dealer)
I don't know if it is still true or not, but at one time, Minnesota had the highest per capita motorcycle ownership in the US. Probably why the Mill City show has better support.

Midwest Cycle Supply on 43rd and Nicollet has closed. Sad news.Friendly little hole-in-the-wall store and nice people. I bought all my MC tires there over the years, and a lotta other gear as well.

·
Premium Member
572 Posts
Add CanAm and Ural (dealer)
I don't know if it is still true or not, but at one time, Minnesota had the highest per capita motorcycle ownership in the US. Probably why the Mill City show has better support.

Midwest Cycle Supply on 43rd and Nicollet has closed. Sad news.Friendly little hole-in-the-wall store and nice people. I bought all my MC tires there over the years, and a lotta other gear as well.
I guess I did see the Urals, and ignored the Can-ams ;) I was excited to hear that Cycle Gear (revzilla) was supposedly opening a store or 2 in MN in the future. I think the guy said Edina - which seemed weird.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I guess I did see the Urals, and ignored the Can-ams ;) I was excited to hear that Cycle Gear (revzilla) was supposedly opening a store or 2 in MN in the future. I think the guy said Edina - which seemed weird.
10-4 on the CanAms and Vandeehalls. some cost more than my Escape.
Edina? Kinda toney for Cycle Gear, unless it will be a Klim/Rukka/Revit!- only store.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I live in SW Washington State and there is nothing up here like the IMS also nothing in Oregon either. I think the nearest show is in San Francisco and there is no way I would attend anything in that city these days. Actually I just checked the only IMS show for 2020 on the west coast is Long Beach.

Sure is sign that the industry is dying when they only have one show for the entire west coast which represents the largest concentration of riders in the country.

·
Premium Member
572 Posts
I live in SW Washington State and there is nothing up here like the IMS also nothing in Oregon either. I think the nearest show is in San Francisco and there is no way I would attend anything in that city these days. Actually I just checked the only IMS show for 2020 on the west coast is Long Beach.

Sure is sign that the industry is dying when they only have one show for the entire west coast which represents the largest concentration of riders in the country.
By any list I can find the only thing the west coast has in concentration is hipsters ;)

There is no west coast state that even makes the top 10 in per capita motorcycle ownership (unless Alaska is west coast ;) ). California wins on pure number of registrations, but is around #43 in a per capita contest.

Washington state has even fewer registrations that MN where it is snowing 6 months a year.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Not too s
By any list I can find the only thing the west coast has in concentration is hipsters ;)

There is no west coast state that even makes the top 10 in per capita motorcycle ownership (unless Alaska is west coast ;) ). California wins on pure number of registrations, but is around #43 in a per capita contest.

Washington state has even fewer registrations that MN where it is snowing 6 months a year.
I'm not sure what your point is, the number of registrations in California still represents a huge number approx. 800,000 in 2017. On the other hand MN had only 241,000. Granted the number of registrations per capita is much higher in MN but there are 3.5 times as many as registrations in Calif which relates to an increased number of potential buyers.

As for Washington State there were a reported 231,000 registrations in 2017, not far off the mark when compared MN, so why no shows here for those people? In my book you have to look at the raw numbers and not play the percentage games as that always seems to distorts the facts.

The bottom line is the attendance numbers drive these shows plain and simple. The promoters of these shows only care about that number as do the businesses that pay for floor space in the shows. The facts are that the motorcycle industry as a whole is in a slump except maybe in some developing countries where the sale of scooters and mopeds are strong.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts