StromTrooper banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hopefully I can add to the discussion as I am going to share my experience with the recent purchase of a system.

I've been watching these system for some years now and have been intrigued as they are very affordable systems when compared to pretty much any other name brand out there. I bought the 14" (350mm) oval system. It was $225 shipped to my door. I bought it right from the Delkevic US site as that was the best price I could find anywhere. Shipping is free and it was pretty quick too. I think it was a week to get to me. First impressions are good, fit and finish appears good, welds look good, overall I would say a 9.5 out of 10. I am detracting a little only because a couple welds were not visually perfect, but I'm picking nits here.

A couple days go by and I've watched some videos out there to see if there are any gotchas, but nothing is popping up. So I decide to tackle the job. Undressing the bike is a royal PITA. I've got to remove the skid plate, pannier holder on the right, before I can get to the bolts holding the exhaust in place...there are many. The good news is that the system appears to use stainless fasteners so rust wasn't an issue. It's a very tight fit and I had to loosen and remove the front down pipe to get the rear pipe to be able to come off the bike. But after a couple hours, some internet searches to see if I'm missing something obvious and many donations to the swear jar, the stock system was off. BTW, if you are taking this system off to save weight, then I would recommend just taking a leak before you get on the bike. The stock system really isn't that heavy IMO.

Now I move on to installing the new system. The instructions (I'm doing air quotes when I say instructions) that come with the system are a total joke. To be fair there isn't much to it, but some guidance and maybe a picture or two would be appreciated. For example, the rear pipe fits the rear down tube quite snugly whereas the front pipe to front down tube junction is not snug at all. I finally realized they want you to use the pipe gasket material in the front junction whereas that isn't necessary in the rear. I suspect because the front has must more leverage and that joint will tend to move more, so the joint gasket material will give a bit and still seal the joint. Maybe that is actually in the instructions but I didn't have a magnifying glass to read them and my 50 year old eyes just rolled when I pointed them at the tiny booklet. However, even after I figured this out I realized I was missing a clamp at this joint. I searched everything again and realized the clamp was missing in shipping. Well, that sucks. So I went down to the computer to see what I can do. I sent an email and waited. The next morning I hadn't heard anything (it was still early, but I'm impatient) so I start sleuthing a bit. Not much on the Delkevic US website, but there was a Facebook page that popped up. I send a message, and then noticed it had a phone number listed. It rang and a nice lady answered the phone. We walked through what arrived and I gave her the details of all the clamps I received (they have numbers on them to show sizes) and she figured out which one I was missing. She said it will go out later today. So that's good, but it's a bummer I'm waiting for the clamp. I could have gotten something to get it together enough to ride, but I just waited, I've got another bike so I'm good.

The clamp showed up about 5 days later, in time for me to put the system on and still get out this past weekend. It all goes together pretty easily except for the skid plate, that took some modifying. But nothing major and I'm in business a couple hours later. So I took some sound measurements. These are from my phone running a dB meter app, sitting on top of a cooler behind the bike about 3 feet. First is stock, next is header pipes and third is with the silencer and baffle in place. I have no intention of running the bike without the baffle unless I do a track day.

During the measurements I revved the bike to 4000 rpm and held it. As you can see stock is max of 86, no silencer is 105 and 14" silencer is 98dB. Also, it sounds fantastic at idle, nice burble, with the silencer on the system. However it does have quite a bark when you get on the throttle...

I jump on the bike, no helmet and ride out to the main road. I do a quick fast run, and damn, it's freaking loud.

Now, to be fair I was WOT, no helmet, no earplugs, etc. But yeah, it's loud when you are romping on it. I log onto the Delkevic site and order the extended baffle, it will be here in a few days.

FFW to this past Saturday morning and me and a few guys head out for a ride. I am kind of dreading it because I know the pipe is going to be annoying all day, but I want to ride the bike. I get all suited up and head over a block to the meet up spot. The time rolls around and we all head out, I'm liking how the exhaust sounds when I'm heading out. We get to the main road and I get on it a little, nothing crazy and still, not too bad. In total we ride about 7 hrs Saturday and I get on it a few times, and to be honest, I like the sound. I wear a full face helmet, ear plugs and usually have music going through my Sena, and it was never annoying or over powering. Most of all it didn't drone, which is what I was concerned the most about. Now, at least, I can hear the exhaust a little bit when I'm rolling down the road. But it was never annoying, in fact, I really liked the sound. I will hold off installing the longer baffle since I know that after time the packing in the silencer will compress and the system will get bit louder.

So that's my experience thus far in a nutshell. Delkevic looks to have a stand up distributor over here and their stuff looks well worth what they are asking for it. The two problems I had with the install I cannot blame on Delkevic. The first was the skid plate; the crossover pipe in the system jutted out a bit, but it was quite far back. The skid plate I have is just a bit too long (SW motech), so I had to put the plate into the vice and bend a corner out of the way. The second deals with where the center stand bumps up against the bottom. The stock exhaust system worked well, so maybe this is a Delkevic issue, but I have an after market center stand (SW Motech), so I don't know if a stock center stand would have had a place for the rubber stopper to impact. I tend to give Delkevic the benefit of the doubt because the bump stop appears well made, so not an after thought. So I will have to figure out a good solution to that one. Right now the center stand rubber got fried and it's sitting metal on metal to the crossover pipe. But it's not a massive deal. All in all I am pleased with the system. I know in bike years these first gen DLs are getting long in the tooth, but I still love the hell out of mine. I think it's one of the best all rounders out there, and the new ones aren't enough of an improvement for me to drop coin on them, yet. Anyway, if you're thinking about one of these systems, I'll give them two thumbs up!

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hey thanks for the write-up. Can you post up again after you install the longer baffle with dB readings?

I'm thinking about getting the 18in oval for my 2009 dl650.

·
Registered
173 Posts
IMG_E1633.JPG

Reactions: NateHarris

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So here's a pic of the stock baffle and the new baffle. Ive installed the new baffle and will ride it for a while to see if the sound changes. It's almost too quiet, but the system will get louder after a bit of riding.

Now here's the dB reading from the same as the others. Holding revs at 4000

1 - 6 of 6 Posts