StromTrooper banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, let me give a bit of background information about myself. I'm pretty tall at 6'6" with a 36" inseam. When I bought the Wee, I knew I was going to have to do something to make it fit me better (although it was better than every other bike I tried in stock form). I first started out with the OEM tall touring saddle, some Raptor bend Pro Taper bars, 1" raising links from Burkhart cycle and the Motorcycle Larry Lowering Blocks. This worked pretty good except for the seat. I always wanted to sit in the back of the dished out area:thumbdown:. So I decided to get some custom work done to the seat. I called Sargent and spoke with Bill in the custom seat department. I told him what I wanted to do, and we went over all the options, sent photos and sketches, and finally I sent him the stock 650 seat for the work. He asked me to mark a level line on the seat and the height I wanted the seat to be raised. Simple enough, and two weeks later he sent me this:

I asked him to make it more of a "bench" type seat, remove the rise, make a level riding platform, and use the "super cell foam" they have. The seat is now 37" high (I can still flat foot it so no danger there).

The snow and ice mess has finally let up here for the weekend, so I got out for a little ride. I took it out for about a 150 mile ride and my problems are gone :thumbup: I can shift back and forth and since the foam is much firmer than the stock seat, I don't seem to get the pain in my butt bone like before. My hips are celebrating as well.

Here are some different angles and close ups:

I'm really happy with the way it turned out. I've been contemplating what to do with the seat for a while. I talked to local upholsters and their prices were not cheap, but I just didn't get the feeling that they do too many motorcycle seats, and I didn't want to risk it. I've used Renazco in the past for my WR250R and have been happy with their work, but you would be lucky to get something in the next 6 months with their backlog. Plus, I don't think they do V-Strom seats...at least I have never seen a picture of one. This option ended up being WAY less than the Sargent World Sport Seat.

Recent farkles include:

Murph's Fender Extender: not much to say about this one...piece of plastic, works good.
SW Motech skidplate and crash bars: nice quality, very strong, look good
Richland Rick fork brace: very nice, I like what it does...noticeably better
PIAA 510 35W: like these a lot, hopefully cars will see me better, look good on the Strom
Oxford Heaterz: Awesome and toasty warm

Here's some pics of the Oxfords. I've been seeing lots of posts about them lately. I mounted them in the "down" position and the bracket for the switch mounts perfectly to the bolt on the left OEM handguard. I also used the Eastern Beaver heated grip connector.

And here's one showing the PIAA's and the Motech stuff.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I like that. I'm not as tall as you but I also perfer a flatter sitting surface. I have a stock Sargent on mine and the seating area is much flatter and wider than the stock seat.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Now thats more like it, I just picked up a gel seat and its an inch or so too short for the dirtbike like seating position I'm after. I'll be giving Bill at Sargent's a call.

Thanks, Pete.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Do you think they could repeat that seat? I'm 6'6" with 38"inseam and looking for a solution. I bought a used Corbin. My ass likes it, but now my hip hurts. I think the flat bench style would suit me too.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Here's some pics of the Oxfords. I've been seeing lots of posts about them lately. I mounted them in the "down" position and the bracket for the switch mounts perfectly to the bolt on the left OEM handguard. I also used the Eastern Beaver heated grip connector.

Can I get a close up of the controller on your oxfords? It looks very different from mine, I'm wondering if they have released yet another new controller, I have a v6 and v6b both with only two buttons, it looks like you have three.

I just found a picture, it looks like they have gone to v7 and a new design.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
If your bike gets stolen now you could start looking for suspects at the UNA basketball locker room.

I'm 6' with a 33" inseam and did a DIY seat customization which is about an 85% improvement over stock. It begins to fail on long slab runs beyond one tankful.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If your bike gets stolen now you could start looking for suspects at the UNA basketball locker room.

I'm 6' with a 33" inseam and did a DIY seat customization which is about an 85% improvement over stock. It begins to fail on long slab runs beyond one tankful.
The seat definitely discourages most people from climbing up for a test sit...somewhat intimidating to the vertically challenged!! I've also noticed the decrease in requests to try the bike from friends :confused:. I agree with the beyond one tankfull discomfort. Not sure if it's the seat or my butt. I was thinking about trying one of those fancy Alaska Sheepskins and see if it helps for those longer days. It's a HUGE improvement over the stock seat and the Tall Touring Saddle. My legs, hips, and back are really thankful.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts