StromTrooper banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
History (in order):
Bike: DL650 2012
added 12v outlet to built-in accessory plug.
stator failure on the road in 2014, was replaced by suzuki dealer (17000km/11000mi)
added voltmeter with colored led gauge, connected to the built-in heated-grip plug. (I know reading will be less than direct connection to battery)
added H4-headlight relay (connected to PC-8 fuse panel)
added USB charging ports (connected to PC-8 fuse panel)
Jun 2015, replaced battery: Yuasa YTX12-BS (40000km/24900mi)
march 2017, stator recall (56000km/34800mi)
replace alternator with Shindengen SH847AA (Suzuki:32800-31J00) (56200km/35000mi)
during winter battery was on tender overnight once every other week inside the house

What happened
July 2017 on a long road trip, one day after 3 hours riding in rain, stopped for gas.
when left, I noticed my voltmeter does not show green anymore. (58400km/36300mi)
with initial testing I thought it is stator again (I made a mistake in diagnosis at the time)
But I was not getting enough voltage to charge battery anyway.
Towed the bike back home

Diagnosis
battery positive terminal had very little oxidation, (brushed and cleaned it)
stator connection to regulator is clean and no rust (but wet)
Followed the test steps from service manual
stator reading is good
the led voltmeter gauge is busted and is showing only one red light, even if connected to 12v source.
the test for series alternator did not give any reading on diode test
output voltage from series R/R once connected to stator is -0.2v (negative 0.2v !!)

I replaced series alternator with the original alternator and here are the readings now:
battery:
switch off: 12.5v
switch on, engine off: 11.88v (should this be 12+ ?)
engine on @2000rpm: 13.87v
engine on @5000rpm: 14.00v

Regulator (original) diode reading all in spec ~0.5v (it was not on the bike at the time of the problem)

stator between 3 wires: 0.3 Ohms / ~70V @5000rpm

Questions
Since the series regulator is dead, does it mean that it kind of sacrificed itself to prevent damage to stator?!
What could cause the regulator to die?
Any thought as what might have happened and what caused this, could rain have any role in it?

I'm worries to take another long trip again.

Thanks,

·
Premium Member
3,462 Posts
I think his is the first new upgraded RR that has died. Rain should not cause failure unless the connections came apart and a wire shorted to the frame. I used non waterproof Posi Taps to connect my SH775 & so far so good in rain. Are you positive this is not a connector failure?

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Connections did not come apart.

I used the complete cable kits from easternbeaver
FH012 Part B with Yazaki 3P250 (so I could connect directly to the existing stator connection) (tested connections between two ends of the cable and all is good and no short between the three wires)
FH012 Part A - connected directly to the battery.

to test output voltage from R/R, I also connected voltmeter directly to the R/R

Also with diode test I don't get any reading from SH847, on any connection combination.

·
Premium Member
3,462 Posts
I have only ever seen two failed RR's and both were on ATV's. It does happen but it's rare, looks like you were elected;)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts