StromTrooper banner

Another battery toast?

6862 Views 39 Replies 21 Participants Last post by  John2290
I replaced the OEM battery about 2 years ago. I ride the bike at-least 2-4 times a week year round. The minute I get home, I put the battery on a tender.

Why am I only getting 2 years out of a battery? :headbang: Is this common? Could it be the crazy heat lately in the East?

I'm lucky I got the bike started. I finished pumping gas some where in the Catskills and I went to start the bike and got zip except lines where the clock normally displays. This happened to me 2 years ago and the battery was toast. BTW the battery is a Interstate.
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

· Registered
1,936 Posts
In Vegas 2 years is usually average for car or bike.
Mike

· Registered
7,576 Posts
Yes, heat shortens battery life.

What make and model trickle charger do you use? Battery Tender® brand or another? Check the voltage it puts out. A non-automatic charger can slowly overcharge the battery and shorten its life. As much as you ride, you probably don't need to connect the trickle charger; the idle time recommendation is usually to trickle charge if the bike is idle a month or more.

· Registered
3,923 Posts
I purchased my bike new 1-07 and am still on the oem battery. I ride on avg a little more than 2-4 times a week, but not much. The bike sits for 1-2 weeks at a time, a couple times a year. Summertime temps here are normally in the high 90's, this year it's been mid 100's. It's never been on a charger. So far, it's never given me any indication of being weak, but from past experience I realize it can suddenly go out at any time.

Our 2 trucks go through batteries about every 4-5 years

To me, your battery life is abnormal.

· Registered
1,262 Posts
I purchased my bike new 1-07 and am still on the oem battery. I ride on avg a little more than 2-4 times a week, but not much. The bike sits for 1-2 weeks at a time, a couple times a year. Summertime temps here are normally in the high 90's, this year it's been mid 100's. It's never been on a charger. So far, it's never given me any indication of being weak, but from past experience I realize it can suddenly go out at any time.

I think his battery life is abnormal too although my bike still has it's original too as I bought the bike from my son about 5 months ago and just thought about battery. I am getting to replace my battery in my 07 Wee this week. It is not acting up, it is doing fine but this is preventive maintenance (I try to replace batteries every 2-3 years). I don't want to go out one day and find that my battery has gone tits up. There is also the problem that as a battery weakens, it can take the stator and/or the rectifier/regulator with it as it dies (this was told to me by a man who made his living designing auto and motorcycle electrical systems for Sumotomo Corp.). It sounds reasonable to me. Batteries are dead cheap when you compare the cost to the replacement cost for a stator and rectifier/regulator along with the cost of a failed battery. Take it for what it is worth, but it is a small price to me to pay to help the charging system out on the bike.

Correction to note: Just found out that my son replaced the battery two years ago. I still think I will replace it this week as it is about due for replacement and it is on my mind now.

· Registered
153 Posts
My 03 sv oem battery lasted till the bike was written off 6 yrs , vstrom battery was replaced with a Chinese roadstar, (unneccasarily as I did not know oxford heat grips use battery even when off, now have a relay) Chinese battery died after 18/12 so just paid Aus $195 for a dekka made in USA, and yes I know they can be purchased in USA for $ 70. Anyone living in the USA should not be using cheap Chinese batteries as your own are cheap and good quality.

· Registered
969 Posts
I replaced the OEM battery about 2 years ago. I ride the bike at-least 2-4 times a week year round. The minute I get home, I put the battery on a tender.

Why am I only getting 2 years out of a battery? :headbang: Is this common? Could it be the crazy heat lately in the East?

I'm lucky I got the bike started. I finished pumping gas some where in the Catskills and I went to start the bike and got zip except lines where the clock normally displays. This happened to me 2 years ago and the battery was toast. BTW the battery is a Interstate.
I'm not an expert but usually get 4-6 years out of all my vehicle batteries. I have a 1.2 (1.5?) amp battery tender but rarely use it. For winter storage I pull the batteries and check the fluid levels. Then I put them on a standard automatic charger (2 amp) and charge/ check them. They sit in my basement all winter (not on the charger) until I prep them for use in the spring with the same water and charge routine. When in use, I don't put them on a charger of any kind. IMO which could be dead (no pun intended) wrong, my guess would be the constant heat generated by a tender ages a battery prematurely. I may even go so far as to say the whole battery tender thing is a gimmick to sell more product. When did we all of a sudden need battery tenders and what did we ever do without them?

· Registered
1,596 Posts
I'm not an expert but usually get 4-6 years out of all my vehicle batteries. I have a 1.2 (1.5?) amp battery tender but rarely use it. For winter storage I pull the batteries and check the fluid levels. Then I put them on a standard automatic charger (2 amp) and charge/ check them. They sit in my basement all winter (not on the charger) until I prep them for use in the spring with the same water and charge routine. When in use, I don't put them on a charger of any kind. IMO which could be dead (no pun intended) wrong, my guess would be the constant heat generated by a tender ages a battery prematurely. I may even go so far as to say the whole battery tender thing is a gimmick to sell more product. When did we all of a sudden need battery tenders and what did we ever do without them?
Some systems are using power all the time now (strom clock). Harley has the clock and the computer connected at all time and will run a battery down in less than a week if not tended. A battery not connected to anything will self discharge. The battery technology has changed too. The AGM construction gives you a higher voltage battery that is less likely to self discharge and is better able to withstand heat and vibration. You need a "smart" charger to keep these batteries fully charged, so they should go on a smart tender every now and then, and during storage.

· Registered
969 Posts
Some systems are using power all the time now (strom clock). Harley has the clock and the computer connected at all time and will run a battery down in less than a week if not tended. A battery not connected to anything will self discharge. The battery technology has changed too. The AGM construction gives you a higher voltage battery that is less likely to self discharge and is better able to withstand heat and vibration. You need a "smart" charger to keep these batteries fully charged, so they should go on a smart tender every now and then, and during storage.
I don't disagree but have some questions about the statements you make. I have a mechanical wrist watch (has hands and date) that takes a battery about 1/8" diameter and 1/16" thick that lasts 5 years. I find it hard to believe a digital clock can drain a battery the size used in a motorcycle in any appreciable time. If AGM batteries are "less likely to self discharge" then why put them on a tender especially when the vehicle is used on a regular basis? Again, not disagreeing, just my logic tells me otherwise and I have had excellent lifetimes with all my batteries. Well, all except the 2 year old KLR battery I put on the tender over the winter. That one I need to replace.

· Registered
557 Posts

I'm definitely in the camp that you don't need the tender. I have one and the only time I use it is if I accidentally leave the key on and drain the battery, which is rare, or if I don't ride it for longer than month or two, which is also rare and only happens in the winter. At best you are wasting your time with a tender. At worst it sounds like you might be frying your batteries. I could count the times I've used the tender on one hand and I've had my current battery almost 4 years now. It is the walmart special battery.

Just curious, why do you put it on so often. Is it something you heard/read or a mechanic that told you to do that?

· Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It is the walmart special battery.

Just curious, why do you put it on so often. Is it something you heard/read or a mechanic that told you to do that?
I was thinking of going with the Everstart Walmart battery, but I was a little apprehensive. It's good to hear your battery has gone 4 years without any issues.:thumbup: I probably will go the Everstart (like that name better:mrgreen:) route this time, since my Yuasa and Interstate bit the bullet in 2-3 years.

Just starting using a tender after a couple batteries failed prematurely. It should in essence prolong the life, but so far that has not been the case.

My next battery I'll only use the tender if my bike sits for longer then 2 weeks, which typically doesn't happen to often.

· Registered
557 Posts
I was thinking of going with the Everstart Walmart battery, but I was a little apprehensive. It's good to hear your battery has gone 4 years without any issues.:thumbup: I probably will go the Everstart (like that name better:mrgreen:) route this time, since my Yuasa and Interstate bit the bullet in 2-3 years.

Just starting using a tender after a couple batteries failed prematurely. It should in essence prolong the life, but so far that has not been the case.

My next battery I'll only use the tender if my bike sits for longer then 2 weeks, which typically doesn't happen to often.
I think you should be alright with that plan. As often as you ride I think the battery should be fine unless you are pushing your electrical system to the max. Oh, and be careful. I had to return the first replacement battery I had because someone had already used it (you put the acid in at home). Gotta love Wallyworld :thumbdown:

· Registered
969 Posts

The OE battery was a Yuasa which you replaced with an Interstate (both good batteries) or have you gone through three batteries. When/ which battery did you start using the tender? I've used several of the Everstart and they have all be decent batteries with 4-5 years service. As to sitting for two weeks, it's kinda short to jump on that tender again. A month maybe.

· Registered
61 Posts

Maybe 07 had better batteries. my 07 dl650 is on the original battery as well. I ride about 4 days a week on average. It has been on a battery tender during vacations or other down times over a week long.

· Registered
1,596 Posts
I don't disagree but have some questions about the statements you make. I have a mechanical wrist watch (has hands and date) that takes a battery about 1/8" diameter and 1/16" thick that lasts 5 years. I find it hard to believe a digital clock can drain a battery the size used in a motorcycle in any appreciable time. If AGM batteries are "less likely to self discharge" then why put them on a tender especially when the vehicle is used on a regular basis? Again, not disagreeing, just my logic tells me otherwise and I have had excellent lifetimes with all my batteries. Well, all except the 2 year old KLR battery I put on the tender over the winter. That one I need to replace.
Yeh, I agree, the clock is a poor example but it's not how much each device requires, it's the combination of devices. And it's not that they drag the voltage down to 10v or something it's that they bring it down to 12.5. The problem is that the battery technology is ahead of the charging technology in the bike. To keep an AGM battery at full charge you need a constant amps charger, not constant voltage charger. The so called smart charger can do this and it recognizes that the battery needs to go to about 12.9v before it is charged. It will also sense sulphating and go through a cycle to reduce that.

· Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just a follow up:

Took some battery readings this morning, here are the results:

12.70V at rest with bike in the off position. (looks good, but that number is deceiving)

With headlights on the battery reads: 12.10V (Also on the low side?)

When I hit the starter the voltage dropped to: 10.58V (sounds suspect?)

The bikes charging voltage reads: 12.65V + at idle. 14.50V at anything above 2000 RPM. (looks good)

· Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The OE battery was a Yuasa which you replaced with an Interstate (both good batteries) or have you gone through three batteries. When/ which battery did you start using the tender? I've used several of the Everstart and they have all be decent batteries with 4-5 years service. As to sitting for two weeks, it's kinda short to jump on that tender again. A month maybe.
No, I've gone through two batteries. This next one will be my third.

I started using the tender on my first battery (Yuasa) Probably 3 months after I bought the bike.

Just picked up the Everstart battery this morning. The cost was $ 50.00, plus a $ 5.00 deposit, which I believe they reimburse you for when you return your old battery.

Going to activate it tonight.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.