StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've tried the LED bulbs. I haven't tried external lights yet so that is my next attempt.

I have the stock tail light and the light bar built in to the Bestem top box wired together so I have an additional brake light on the box but I'm not satisfied so . . .

Found these and a really cheap in-line flasher for a total of about $10 on eBay. I plan to mount the lights on either side of the license plate frame and wire them through the flasher so upon braking they will flash several times.

Tey're due in (from China no doubt) in the middle of January so I'll be back when I get them mounted for a review. I figure photos and perhaps a video at night.

·
Premium Member
2,094 Posts
I've tried the LED bulbs. I haven't tried external lights yet so that is my next attempt.

I have the stock tail light and the light bar built in to the Bestem top box wired together so I have an additional brake light on the box but I'm not satisfied so . . .

Found these and a really cheap in-line flasher for a total of about $10 on eBay. I plan to mount the lights on either side of the license plate frame and wire them through the flasher so upon braking they will flash several times.

Tey're due in (from China no doubt) in the middle of January so I'll be back when I get them mounted for a review. I figure photos and perhaps a video at night.
I have Hyperlites on the back of all my bikes and I swear that cars stop a good 20 ft further back than before they were installed. YMMV.

Hyperlites Flashing LED Motorcycle brake lights, Running Lights and Turn Signal

It will be interesting to see how yours work. Certainly are less expensive!

Rod

·
Premium Member
7,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I never cared for the aesthetics of the Hyperlights especially for the price. We'll see if my budget solution is any good or not

·
Registered
15,623 Posts
That 4-8 weeks delivery from China can be at least that much time. I'd forgotten what a certain bill on my paypal was and this odd box showed up. Haleluah, it was my water resistant 12 volt outlets.
It'll be daylight saving time before you get it mounted up.:surprise:

·
Registered
4,059 Posts

In Cal tail lights can only auto flash 3 times.

·
Registered
15,623 Posts
"In Cal tail lights can only auto flash 3 times."

Tell that to the Cyber Light I've been moving from bike to bike since the 70's.
There are legalities but why argue with conspicuity?

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
"In Cal tail lights can only auto flash 3 times."

Tell that to the Cyber Light I've been moving from bike to bike since the 70's.
There are legalities but why argue with conspicuity?

I rather not give an officer any excuse to pull me over.

The less contact with the justice system the better!

·
Registered
91 Posts
I have hyperlites on both my bikes. VA law is the same about the flashing. There was a bill to change it but I never saw if it was passed. I've never been pulled but like the poster above, I noticed people stop much farther back now. Also plenty of my riding buddies have them too including a state trooper. nobody is going to hassle you about hyperlites. Have you seen what the sport bike and cafe racer crowd is passing off as lighting these days? The only way you will get in trouble with lighting is if you sear out somebodies retinas when you apply the brakes or run the wrong colors.

·
Registered
15,623 Posts
I do believe the Leos's have more to do than pull us over for a flashing light. Especially for a tail light. It's not like a flashing headlight...like I used to have!

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
That looks like the controller I bought. Let's hope my lights work as well. If not, this will be my next attempt
just beware that this one listed in link GS-100A is not compatible with non-LED bulbs.
12V LED Controller Box Flash Module Universal Motorcycle Car Brake Stop Light Sale - Banggood.com

Had one burn out during the trip when LED bulb failed and got replaced with regular one. I think it is only rated 3w.

Since then I replaced it with this one WP-W60 (60w)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0185HMIIQ

And wiried quick connectors to bypass the flasher if flusher or bulb fail again.

You shouldn't be using these flashers with incandescent bulbs regardless, as the fast strobe isn't long enough to lit up regular bulb, so there is a 5sec delay before brake light comes on.

·
Premium Member
7,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, got the LEDs in and it appears the mounting method is going to have to be double-sided tape. Next week we install these with the flasher and see what we have.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
I've tried the LED bulbs. I haven't tried external lights yet so that is my next attempt. ...

Found these and a really cheap in-line flasher for a total of about $10 on eBay. I plan to mount the lights on either side of the license plate frame and wire them through the flasher so upon braking they will flash several times. ...
Have you considered Blinker Genie ? Allows you to use your stock turn signals as running lights with LED bulbs. (they still work as turn signals, too) Low power draw / no heat.
https://www.customled.com/products/blinker-genie

·
Premium Member
7,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Have you considered Blinker Genie ? Allows you to use your stock turn signals as running lights with LED bulbs. (they still work as turn signals, too) Low power draw / no heat.
https://www.customled.com/products/blinker-genie
My original idea was one of the $100+ accelerometer flashers and I may still do that. I just ran across these lights that are about the same height as my license plate.

Triangle Flash LED Lights Motorcycle ATV Car Rear Tail Light Brake Running Red | eBay

So far I'm in less than $10. These LED lights are three wire so I imagine I could use them as running as well as stop lights but my intent is to rig them simply as brake lights through the flasher,

Unfortunately the mount is really weak so I will have to make a plate the size of my license with little "wings" on the side so I can try mounting these with foam tape and see if they survive the vibration on a motorcycle.

Each light weighs about 3 Oz and has about 2 sq. in. of flat where I can use tape to attach them - we'll see if it survives the vibration for any length of time.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Be advised that solid yellow as viewed from the rear, may actually be illegal in some jurisdictions RED only. As is any blue light (in all jurisdictions), from any angle (except for police/fire/responders, etc.)

Solid yellow for front/side/running lighting seems OK. (How many cages have you seen (from the factory), w/solid yellow from the rear?)..

·
Registered
293 Posts
I bought this,
https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/strobe-controllers/brake-light-strobe-module/195/
And a couple of these,
https://www.superbrightleds.com/mor...l-led-accent-light-module-w-6-leds-chrome/19/
I wired the strobe controller to the 2 LEDs and to the brake light in my Givi E45 top box. Works great.
Up front I used the 12O'clock Labs device
http://shop.12oclocklabs.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=70
to turn the turn signals into running lights. I switched the turn signal bulbs to LEDs so they wouldn't get so hot being on constantly. I also got an LED flasher off EBay.
I can't figure out how to post video but if you want to see the result send me a PM with your email address.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts