StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading Stromette's glowing report about using a 43T rear sprocket, I decided to try the same. I was especially interested in her statement that it removed the low speed chugging. Well, she was correct. The bike pulls so much more smoothly and powerfully in the lower gears. Feels more akin to it's TL1000R brother now!!!

I also changed out my chain (once again, copying Stromette) with my new chainbreaker tool from RK. REMEMBER- Measure twice, Cut once!!! Don't ask me why but just know that your local dealer carries spare master links in case you should need them :oops:

The bike is even more enjoyable to ride now. Thanks Stromette for showing me the light!!!

·
Premium Member
4,406 Posts
Just wait until you load it up and head out for a week of 2-up riding. The 43T is really sweet under those conditions.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Just tell us again exactly what chain, how many links and specifically what sprocket you bought. I'm gonna do this after my run to utah, idaho, wyoming, montana and colorado over the next few weeks. Did you also change out the front sprocket? How did the old one look?
Thanks for the confirmation of S'Mettes posts.
Regards . . .

·
Premium Member
4,406 Posts

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
mikevstrom said:
Just tell us again exactly what chain, how many links and specifically what sprocket you bought. I'm gonna do this after my run to utah, idaho, wyoming, montana and colorado over the next few weeks. Did you also change out the front sprocket? How did the old one look?
Thanks for the confirmation of S'Mettes posts.
Regards . . .
Here's what I got:

DID X-Ring Chain 525VM2 X 120 LINKS - Gold
JT Steel Front Sprocket 17T for 525 Chains
JT Steel Rear Sprocket 43T for 525 Chains

Got it all from amotostuff.com.

The stock chain was stretched beyond use at 10k miles (pure garbage). The rear sprocket was starting to show some wear but probably could have used it again. The front sprocket is fine. However, I changed it anyways since I like new sprockets with new chain. The chains links are 120. It really is a great mod to do. I'm zipping all over with this big grin all over my face. A totally different bike now.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Heavy said:
120 links?

Are you sure?

That's a big jump from 112.
Well, I didn't count them but that's what I ordered.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
raleigh5 said:
strom lurker said:
... The bike pulls so much more smoothly and powerfully in the lower gears. Feels more akin to it's TL1000R brother now!!!
something isn't right with your TLR :p
Naaaw, the tiller is fine. I said "much more akin" to the mighty tiller. My strom was anemic with the stock sprockets.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Try performance gasoline in your 1K and see what you think of your stock gearing, the difference in performance between 87 and 90+ gas is amazing. With 100 plus you may find yourself wishing for a 7th gear in the 3500 to 8000 RPM range. Roll on in 6th is verrry Nice.

·
Premium Member
1,684 Posts
Mortaine said:
Try performance gasoline in your 1K and see what you think of your stock gearing, the difference in performance between 87 and 90+ gas is amazing. With 100 plus you may find yourself wishing for a 7th gear in the 3500 to 8000 RPM range. Roll on in 6th is verrry Nice.
Have you ever try it Mortaine?
Did you perhaps measure the difference?
If so what they were in seconds?

I am almost 100% sure the bike will not run better or faster with higher octane gas, moreover I think she will feel worse.
Higher octane gas is for higher compression engines, not to increase performance of a stock engine.
This is my opinion.

·
Premium Member
1,187 Posts
He knows everything :roll: Never mind the FACT that even Suzuki only recommends the 87 octane gas for our bikes. Then again it's his cash he's spending so he can do as he pleases and imagine that he's getting a performance gain :roll:

mokusbajusz said:
Have you ever try it Mortaine?
Did you perhaps measure the difference?
If so what they were in seconds?

I am almost 100% sure the bike will not run better or faster with higher octane gas, moreover I think she will feel worse.
Higher octane gas is for higher compression engines, not to increase performance of a stock engine.
This is my opinion.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Mokus

If I had not tried it would I ask, as for your 87 octane gas, the K1 will ping and clatter until you down shift when rolling on it hard in 4th, 5th or 6th gear, low in the rev's but then some of the 650 riders know everything and anything about what ever.
Wolf yes it is my cash but since you ride a little bike you don't know, I was asking the 1K riders not you. By the way thank you, yes I know a lot but not everything, but I DO know the 1K performs better on higher octane gasoline. Engine ping equates to less performance, NO engine ping better performance.

·
Premium Member
1,684 Posts
Mortaine said:
Mokus

If I had not tried it would I ask, as for your 87 octane gas, the K1 will ping and clatter until you down shift when rolling on it hard in 6th gear
So it happens in 6th gear and you think it is because of the bad stock sprocket-set ratio?
I don't think so. It is rather because of the (presumably low) RPM when you cruise at that given speed in 6th gear. When your bike pings and clatters in 6th gear she has to do the same also in lower gears at the same RPM. That problem will not be solved by using a different set of sprockets as you will go through that RPM-range also with the new set. I would rather let your FI system to be checked.

Mortaine said:
but then some of the 650 riders know everything and anything about what ever.
If you insinuate to me I can say I do not know everything and anything about whatever, I have never said that. You wrote a statement on which I have different opinion and I asked a few questions from you which you didn't answer.

Mortaine said:
Engine ping equates to less performance, NO engine ping better performance.
That's right!

BTW the K1 is a BMW...

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Mokus

I don't wish to insult you so what ever you say must be correct.
I assumed (made a ass out of you and me) that you would understand that I was talking about putting a LOAD on the bike, in a tall gear. Yes the 1000 will ping on 87 octane low in the rev range. what ever the gear.
Contrary to what you, the wolf and Suzuki think or say 87 octane is not enough for the 1000 in 100 plus temps.

·
Premium Member
1,684 Posts
Well, you know better what your bike does, I'm not experienced with the 1K.
Basically the whole dispute is worthless as I'm on the theory and you are on the practice side.
But I've heard some 1K issues (sorry big brothers) here, and none of them was concerning pinging due to low octane.
Let we close this: did the higher octane gas solve your problem?

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
mokusbajusz said:
Basically the whole dispute is worthless
So true. I'm really tired of this stuff. I'm just going to ignore him from now on.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Back on subject:

As I understand it, the change in sprocket teeth will have you running at higher rpms? Any effect on gas mileage?

I would appreciate a little more detailed info.
prof

1 - 20 of 26 Posts