StromTrooper banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Probably buried somewhere in here - I did search.

2005 VStrom DL1000 intended for 170 lb naked (I insist she be weighed naked!) female, 5-8.5, pretty strong, will be riding with and without light touring gear, does not need super lean angle, 90% or more on road, but may end up running some gravel roads and such (although I don't know what I would ride to keep up!).

F&R lowered about an inch (didn't measure yet). Came that way. Fork shows 3 on the pre-load. Don't know what springs and damper are in it, probably stock. Don't know what oil is in fork. Didn't examine rear shock yet, but it's original.

Bike rides fine to me, haven't really pushed it. Not as cushy as I'd like, but doesn't seem to oscillate or do bad things. Will have to run it over the Dragon and so on to really see what's what.

Goal is to have the machine set up reasonable well for her to try out and ride for a few thousand miles. Then we'd consider new parts. For now, looking for any recommendations on adjusting the machine, other than 25-33% total sag, F&R. My understanding is that there's no rebound adjust on F, but is on the R.

On the tires, I don't even know what's on it. Rear is squared off pretty bad and will need replacing pretty soon. Good wear resistance and touring/road grip is fine. Just so it will handle Parson's Branch and other gravel roads. Tire suggestions?

Thanks much.

·
Premium Member
1,613 Posts
Metzler tourance tires, regular not the EXP. inflate to front 36psi and rear 38psi light to 42psi fully loaded.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Set the sag about 40 mm f&r.

If pavement only, Bridgestone T30 is a great choice. Michelin Pilot Road 4 better in rain, but costs more. If part time gravel, Bridgestone A40 (or Battlewings if A40 not available) or Metzeler Tourance Next. Both A40 and Tourance Next are updates over older tires. Shinko 705 and Full Bore M40 are well liked by some, low cost, rear wears fast, I didn't like the droning noise.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, that gives me a start to look for tires and set the sag. I'll find a deal and have the tires waiting. No biggie to drop a wheel out and change. I really hope she likes the bike - a fair amount of cash for a bike for a new rider who seems unsure of herself. She dropped my old Suzuki cruiser and thinks cruisers are too heavy and sluggish now. I think so, too, for most. She's been looking at dual sport, but doesn't fit on the smaller ones, and got this adventure touring mind virus, but isn't really going to be an off road person I don't think.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts