StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I like my new '15 650 but I appear to be a Vibration issue magnet so far.
One of the primary reasons for the purchase was it's smoothness and fuel economy at I-road speeds for my 75 mi./day commute.
As the farkels were added, each step brought multiple problems.. :thumbdown:

Givi bars turned it into a tuning fork between 4,300 ~ 5,400 rpms. Tried multiple "fixes" to no avail & ended up removing them (sold now) and vibes went away.:furious:

Added H/T brackets for my large Teton boxes and vibes started again. Again multiple fixes applied (duct tape the backs, acoustic asphalt strips inside, bolt torques, etc.) Finally got them down to a tolerable level on the highway.:confused:

Added 2" Rox risers, BarkBuster Storm hand guards and a bolt up cross brace on the bars. Felt some vibes but not a big'en... grip puppies fixed it.:yesnod:

After perforating a oil filter @ 730 miles with a rock kicked up, decided to install AltRider bars w/ my Advmoto 3/16ths thick skid plate left over from my '07 1k.
Now... OMG!!! Vibes from Hell now 4,400 ~ 5,300 rpms!!! Throught the whole machine but worst in the bars.:yikes:

Now when the new AltRider bars went on, I had to deal with aprox. 1/3rd bolt hole mis alignment on the left side upper bracket bolts (4) and the thru bolt going across the bike at the bottom V bracket mounting the engine. A little lever persuasion got it together and I loosened and re-torqued ALL motor mounting bolts just to get them to seat up and play nice with each other, but with vibes ever since.:headbang:
Suggestions/ words of wisdom/ know any budget priced exorcists?
HELP!
This is starting to really try my patience......

·
Registered
570 Posts
Not sure what bikes you came from, apart from the V1000 , but I found that different Tyres on my old Concours made big differences in transmitting road surfaces through the bike. Some tyres would send a resonance through the fairing, and you could feel every ripple on the road. Which in Australia is saying something.
Weighted bar ends helped as well.
MrMrsSchultz.jpg

·
Registered
257 Posts
I've got a 2009 wee with Givi bars and not an issue. A mate has a 2014 with genuine bars and the vibration through the bars at 100kmh is ridiculous! Numb hands after 20kms, I wouldn't put up with it. And he's tried all sorts of fixes....

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
The above referenced vibes are strictly engine rpm related, no tires,balance, road surfaces, etc..
The bike was smooth 'till the 1st crash bars (givi's) went on & left when they came off. The givi vibes were so bad you could not physically hold the onto the bars when they started vibrating. The AltRiders are much better... you can hold onto them at the same rpm's vs the givi's.
I was thinking something to do with mounting plate / bolt / possible mis-alignment issues might be the cause, but don't know about how to research such issues as they seem to not exist on the DL 650's...
Bar end weights came w/ the BarkBusters, so that possibility is already addressed... numbness results in 7~8 mi.
Guess I should have gone with another KLR for their known smoothness on the highways at speed... :green_lol:

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Get the throttle bodies balanced by a mechanic with OCD to reduce the source of vibration.
Install rubber o-rings in the joint where the left and right side sections of crash bars meet.
Some people report success filling the bars with loose lead shot or a rubber snake.
Make sure your engine mounts are properly torqued and brackets are aligned.
Make sure your fairing bracket bolts are tight.
Double check your wheels are balanced properly (both of them).

I think that covers most things.

·
Registered
253 Posts
This solved my vibration problem. Basically a turnbuckle from the skidplate to the bars. Worked great.

Blends in and not really noticeable.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I put a Enduro Guardian skid plate on my 13 and it solved all the vibration issues.

·
Registered
84 Posts
My Altrider experience. LONG

I searched every post on crash bars when deciding what to purchase in 2012 for my new glee. The Altrider reviews all were positive and folks claimed vibration was not a problem with this product.

At the time Altrider advertised the high quality and precision of their products for perfect bolt on alignment. Stainless steel and made in the USA. Perfect, I will buy the best and be done with it..

First they shipped me bars for the 1000.. Finally got the correct bars in my
garage and ready for a quick install. Hmm, the “button tab” on the top mount of the left bar doesn’t fit correctly. Really, this is precision alignment? I ended up grinding the tab smaller to get alignment.

First trip with the bike. Wow, vibration was unreal. Reflected engine noise from the plate noticeable.

Got home and remove the bars and assembled them on the garage floor to look at alignment of the bars and that button tab. (I should have done that at first install but was impatient and was already convinced I had the best bars in the business and this must be within the range of normal) Clear and obvious misalignment of the bracket of the problem tab.

I was in contact with the CEO of Altrider at that point because they were convinced I couldn’t have a bad set of bars because they have never had a problem.

Sent the bars back for inspection and had to pay for that shipment until inspection because they were quite sure the bars were not a problem.

Waited and finally they confirmed the bars were misaligned. They claimed they reviewed their manufacturing process and determined this was a “one off”

They want to send me another set of bars. I declined as I had had quite enough with my Altrider experience at that point. Of course now they didn’t want to take back my skid plate as it was used. I convinced them to take everything back for the restock fee as an act of goodwill considering all the problems and shipments I had gone through. I think it cost me about 60 dollars.

That experience made me decide a couple of things. I was going to have a separate plate not dependent on bars for mounting. Smaller plate that wouldn’t reflect engine noise. Bars that had a separate cross member bar allowing easier tweaking and alignment if needed.

Hepco Becker bars with a Tourtech plate. Unlike the Altrider bars I received that were designed and fit the Gen1 wee, these bars follow the lines of the new glee. To my eye the Hepco Becker bars and tourtech plate look proper and proportional to the bike as if they could be OEM. Love them.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Changing anything on a bike needs to be thought through carefully. Bolt the parts on loosely (just a little snug), one thing at a time, and then ride the bike so things settle in (nothing should have to be forced into place). Then, tighten up a bit more, ride, let settle in, and then tighten all the way. If vibes are still there, it's likely affected whatever you bolted the part to, which means you could try to loosen that part and ride to have it settle in together as a unit.

The other issue is how the parts change geometry and weight distribution. If the bars shift you (and your weight) back on the bike, your front end is now light and you could try to lessen preload to get more weight on the front. Or, increase rear preload.

My bike's smooth as glass but then again I haven't tarted it all up.

Jim

·
Registered
39 Posts
I'm new to 'Stroms, and my bike came with the Suzuki crash bars and plastic cowling already fitted, so I can't speak to mounting issues - it certainly sounds like you're transmitting vibration from a damped part to an undamped part. Does anyone know if the DL650 engine is rubber mounted?

Generally 90-degree twins should be relatively smooth, due to the crank angle cancelling out primary vibration - when one piston is accelerating, the other is slowing down etc. Instead we get off-beat firing intervals, and a back-and-forth rocking couple.

I will say this - I have noticed a distinct spot around 4800 RPM/67mpg where some coarseness creeps in and I get a tingling through the bars. A few mph above or below that it's smooth except for the background throbbing of the engine. I'm guessing that there's a resonant frequency issue here, and I just avoid that particular RPM range.

It sounds to me like your problem range is much wider, so I'd certainly check throttle body balance right away. You can do it yourself with a set of Vaccuum gauges, and with a twin it should be a single screw. I've not done it on the 'strom, but I'll bet there are guides here on the forum that could help.

Good luck, and keep us posted!

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I could have written the 1st part of your reply myself... p.m. me the Altrider names / 'phone # / contact info please!
The vibes go away when the bars come off... I may go the route you did just to get things serviceable.
I commute 20,000+ mi./yr. so you can understand my pressing need to get this resolved.
The bike only has 1,450 miles on it so far, FYI.. so it's not likely a TBI issue, especially when it stops when the bars come off...
There is/was a mis-alignment on install & I was hoping to "adjust" the frame motor mounting brackets to see if it would help.
No guidance or suggestions as to accomplishing this so far... We'll see if anything is forthcoming on that front.
Thanks for your reply! :thumbup:
I searched every post on crash bars when deciding what to purchase in 2012 for my new glee. The Altrider reviews all were positive and folks claimed vibration was not a problem with this product.

At the time Altrider advertised the high quality and precision of their products for perfect bolt on alignment. Stainless steel and made in the USA. Perfect, I will buy the best and be done with it..

First they shipped me bars for the 1000.. Finally got the correct bars in my
garage and ready for a quick install. Hmm, the “button tab” on the top mount of the left bar doesn’t fit correctly. Really, this is precision alignment? I ended up grinding the tab smaller to get alignment.

First trip with the bike. Wow, vibration was unreal. Reflected engine noise from the plate noticeable.

Got home and remove the bars and assembled them on the garage floor to look at alignment of the bars and that button tab. (I should have done that at first install but was impatient and was already convinced I had the best bars in the business and this must be within the range of normal) Clear and obvious misalignment of the bracket of the problem tab.

I was in contact with the CEO of Altrider at that point because they were convinced I couldn’t have a bad set of bars because they have never had a problem.

Sent the bars back for inspection and had to pay for that shipment until inspection because they were quite sure the bars were not a problem.

Waited and finally they confirmed the bars were misaligned. They claimed they reviewed their manufacturing process and determined this was a “one off”

They want to send me another set of bars. I declined as I had had quite enough with my Altrider experience at that point. Of course now they didn’t want to take back my skid plate as it was used. I convinced them to take everything back for the restock fee as an act of goodwill considering all the problems and shipments I had gone through. I think it cost me about 60 dollars.

That experience made me decide a couple of things. I was going to have a separate plate not dependent on bars for mounting. Smaller plate that wouldn’t reflect engine noise. Bars that had a separate cross member bar allowing easier tweaking and alignment if needed.

Hepco Becker bars with a Tourtech plate. Unlike the Altrider bars I received that were designed and fit the Gen1 wee, these bars follow the lines of the new glee. To my eye the Hepco Becker bars and tourtech plate look proper and proportional to the bike as if they could be OEM. Love them.

·
Registered
155 Posts
13 with alt rider bars and plate. Smooth as glass. I must say when I installed my bars they did not line up perfectly. I had to tweek them slightly to get them to fit. No problems since.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That's the results I am after....
Calling Altrider tomorrow.
I'm hopeful as that their design engineer rides a late model 'Strom 650 himself going by the photos posted on their site.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Please elaborate on what you mean by "Tweeking" the bars.
What sort of mis alignment did you encounter?
When I spoke with the folks at Altrider they mentioned "rapping" the bars with a rubber hammer to possibly seat them.... I'm guessing they meant loosen them up first before and re-torque 'em afterwards.
I REALLY want to get to where you are at this point!
ANY other suggestions would be welcome in my quest to "get smooth" on the I road traveling.
What torque settings did you use on which bolts?
13 with alt rider bars and plate. Smooth as glass. I must say when I installed my bars they did not line up perfectly. I had to tweek them slightly to get them to fit. No problems since.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Please elaborate on what you mean by "Tweeking" the bars.
What sort of mis alignment did you encounter?
When I spoke with the folks at Altrider they mentioned "rapping" the bars with a rubber hammer to possibly seat them.... I'm guessing they meant loosen them up first before and re-torque 'em afterwards.
I REALLY want to get to where you are at this point!
ANY other suggestions would be welcome in my quest to "get smooth" on the I road traveling.
What torque settings did you use on which bolts?
I had to bent the top bar the one with the two bolts down about 1/8 inch so they would slide in to the holes in the frame. As far as the torque I just tightened them by feel..... 30 years Diesel tech. I also had every thing put together hand tight including the plate befor tightening. Do you also have ther skid plate that bolts to the cross bar?

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have the Givi bars and have a certain engine vibe at 5000 to 5100 rpm only . My o ring seals on the intermediate joiner tube have pinched out and I am thinking of using a compound at that point of reference as I don't recall any vibe at all at these revs when first installed . My bars never feel harsh enough to notice and I often do 650 km's on a Sunday ride .
My other bike is a Buell and that can mix paint at idle so the Strom is smooth in comparison . V twins vibe ...it's in their DNA

·
Registered
257 Posts
Yep Okey but this is a high frequency vibe that isn't there when the crash bars aren't on. to me it has to do with the mounting point on the wee2 over the wee as they mount differently.
I've had lots of twins and big singles, this vibe is completely different....

·
Registered
20 Posts
These engines have a vib problem between 4700- 5500 and if anything is bolted to the bike it can enhance the harmonics if anything is even slightly loose. I have the Givi TN3101 crash bars and my own skid plate fitted with no problems. The Givi bars are an excellent fit but the rubber O-Rings on the link bar do perish allowing the link bar to be loose and vibrate. Simple mod is to reduce the length of the bolt spacer so the two crash bars bolt up very tight to each other clamping the link bar.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I put a Enduro Guardian skid plate on my 13 and it solved all the vibration issues.
:thumbup:

I have a '12 Advanture and it had 'the vibe'. I added the steel Enduro Guardian skid plate and it is smooth as glass.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts