StromTrooper banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back in September I found myself in a weeklong motorcycle training course. Never ridden a motorbike in my life. A friend let me try his 49cc scooter once. Can't say I was all that impressed with the thing.

So now you know where I got the handle from. I had no idea what I was doing there. Or in my life, in general. When the instructor asked the class what type of bike each of us had our eyes on once we 'graduated', I was the only one who didn't have a definitive answer. I didn't even know what style of bike I wanted - mainly because I didn't really know the differences.

The course was fun and instructive. The focus was on actual safety, not on how to pass the provincial drivers' test (which I did, this past Friday ... yay).

I have a pretty dark personality. Not the kind that'll cast a shadow on a party, just the kind that takes a lot of stimulus, of the right kind, to get itself fired up. The great part about this kind of disposition is that I can recall precise moments in my life when I felt true happiness. Riding that Honda Sherpa out of the parking lot and onto the class' first road trip was one of those moments.

Since the course was in Vancouver, and I lived 1500km away in northern BC, I had to get home. I had a return flight ticket that had been booked weeks ago. So I cancelled the flight, called up an impulsive friend, and went to one of the city's mega-bike stores to find my return trip.

A few hours later I was perched on a new '11 V-Strom in shiny white armour (my friend thought it would be funny to pick out gear that would make me most resemble a storm trooper ... according to him, he didn't even have in mind the play on words ... he just thought it would be funny).

It took me two days to get home. I wish I could I say I enjoyed every thrilling moment of the trip. Most of it was somewhere between pleasant to awesome. Some of it was terrifying (powerful crosswinds in the passes), painful (heated grips ... heated grips ... don't hit the road on a crisp autumn morning without heated grips), awkward (why do some guys wave and others don't?) and sore (breaking in the saddle ... at least I could stand on the pegs for momentary relief)

I thought I had found something I could really enjoy for years to come ... but then I found farkles. I had never even seen that word until I hopped on the web, and more precisely, onto this website. Now I'm a farkaholic. I don't know which I enjoy more ... riding the bike or screwing around with it. Center stand, skid plate (thank you Yann), heated grips, hand guards and crash bars. I'm running out of practical things to put on the bike. Soon I'll start modifying it. I'm actually looking forward to the valve adjustments ... only 20,000 more kms to go.

A bit of a slanted intro. I never know what to say, so I just start typing. Hopefully that made some sense.

I've never had much to say on these forums given that I don't know much of anything related to topic. The Google bar led me to most of the answers I was looking for. Casual browsing helped bring me to answers to questions I had never even thought to ask. Even though I'm not entirely certain on what type of oil, fuel grade, tire, windscreen or bike (Vee or Wee) is best, I at least got a ton of useful info along the way.

So on behalf of the thousands of silent lurkers who benefit from the wisdom of this little community - thank you.

·
Premium Member
583 Posts
welcome to the club, and as intros go that one didnt suck :mrgreen:

·
Registered
15,917 Posts
Wanna ask a question about tires or oil or windshields?
So many are eager to jump in and down your throat...but hello first!
It's nice to find an object that provide so much pleasure and entertainment that doesn't have tits. It's really rare.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Enjoyed reading your "slanted" intro. What a great way to break into the world of motorcycling.

Just remember, if you want to survive on this forum, use the search tool before you dare ask a question...there's hell to pay if you ask something that's been asked and answered before. :yikes:

Just kidding. Great people with loads of knowledge.

Enjoy your ride,
EV

·
Registered
384 Posts
So I cancelled the flight, called up an impulsive friend, and went to one of the city's mega-bike stores to find my return trip.

No matter what you ride, that is an AWESOME way to start your motorcycling addiction. :thumbup:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts