StromTrooper banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I get some headshake between 35-45 mph on decel. Might try going just a bit (1/4) turn tighter on the stem bearing.

·
Registered
61 Posts
fixed mine

Same thing with my Battlewings 35-40 wobble on decel. lubed and tightened head bearings no more wobble. i was surprised because with my front tire off the ground there wasn't any play.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
just tightened the bearings up again, still have that damn decel shake. I am at the mid to upper end of tension to move the bars now not going to tighten them anymore. Already have a fork brace. Battlwings are dated '08 have a bit of weather checking and scalloping with about 70% tread remaining. Might throw the TKC80 on the front and see if it is indeed a tire issue. Were Battlewings stock in an 07 wee?

·
Registered
165 Posts
As far as I know, Trailwings have always been stock.

However a minor shake while handsfree decelerating around that speed is a very commonly reported issue. For me it seems to be from around 50km/h down to 30 or 40 if I recall.

Tires get some of the blame, a relatively light weight front end, and long forks get some blame. A fork brace might help some, but mostly we just accept it as an idiosyncrasy of the vstrom, and move on to other issues.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
switched to TKC's tonight and it's like a whole new bike. tire(s) were the problem.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Yes

I have the same headshake with BWs on decel when the bike is heavily loaded. It's a DL650 and the tires have 10K miles on them, and the rear is purt-near square. The bike has a fork brace. I don't get the head shake when not heavily loaded.

Head shake doesn't bother me. I just put my hands back on the bars and it stops.

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
I've noticed a decell wobble too, but my BW's have lots more miles on em now. But, it only occurs when I take my hands off the bars, and that's not what I should be doing anyway!

As long as it doesn't wobble or headshake on braking, I'll be satisfied.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Mine developed head shake on last long weekend trip. 8K miles. I put 3 additional lbs of air in tire and shake gone (for now). I got the increase air pressure tip from doing a search of this forum.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts