StromTrooper banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I was wondering if you guys had any thoughts one way or the other regarding the analog speedometer of the older weestroms versus the digital one on 2012+ models? The digitals look a bit odd to me and I wonder if they might be difficult to read if direct sunlight hits them, or if their reliability might be less than the analogs.

Thoughts?

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
I've had both. It took a short time to get used to the change, mostly because the tach is now on the left. I never came close to a problem reading the digital speedo except when wearing polarized sunglasses when working on the bike. I don't ride with them.

·
Banned
1,121 Posts
The digital on the new 2012+ is great :thumbup:

Easy to read, no issues with sunlight, and even better at night.

I don't understand how reliability would be an issue, these have been on motorcycles for years, it just took awhile for Suzuki to finally get it onto the V-Stroms.

Most sportbikes have had the digital gauge for years, and they certainly go a bit faster than a V-Strom :mrgreen:

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
I don't have a digital speedo (2011 DL650), and I'm glad. I don't like them. Digital readouts are more fatiguing than needles on a dial. It's the price paid for more precision. With a needle on a dial, a person can see at a glance, with very little thought, that they are within a narrow range of where they want to be. With digital, the rider has to focus enough to see and interpret the number to get the information they need.

Not something you'd notice on a short ride, but after many miles and hours, it is one more fatigue element.

Might not bother everybody, but it's not for me.

·
Premium Member
3,411 Posts
What I don't like about the '12+ 650's....

though both speedos are inaccurate to begin with

the '12+ speedo gets the info off the countershaft as opposed to the front wheel. One less tooth in front amplifies the error. Now I see around 10% error.

I didn't experience any difficulty getting used to the digital readout though.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the input so far. I guess it sounds like the digital speedo does the job. My main concern would be visibility and reliability in terms of completely breaking and requiring replacement, but it sounds like neither are an issue to worry too much about.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
I believe that the inaccuracy in the speedometers is in the electronic sensing device more than in the readout, whether its digital or analog. Personally, I don't have a problem with using a digital speedometer. No "interpreting" what it says. It's never in between any indicated speeds and you don't have to wonder if the needle is above or below a line. The digital number is what it is and nothing else. It may be inaccurate, but it is what it is. An analog presentation may require some interpretation as to what is it, though. However, in the final analysis, neither is an issue for me.

·
Registered
209 Posts
In the beginning I spent more time looking at the digital readout, but now I glance at it like I do the strom. They both seem to belong where they are. At the right angle under the sun neither is very visible.
One thing I like is a gear indicator. I was on the freeway today and after 10 miles or so realized I never got out of fourth. Don't need or miss a 6th gear.

This brings up something with how one rides. I was used to riding my 650 like my old 83 R65LS. I used to keep the revs between 4 and 6 thousand rpm, now I like to keep them between 5 and 7 thousand. Get some!

·
Registered
65 Posts
I believe that the inaccuracy in the speedometers is in the electronic sensing device more than in the readout, whether its digital or analog. Personally, I don't have a problem with using a digital speedometer. No "interpreting" what it says. It's never in between any indicated speeds and you don't have to wonder if the needle is above or below a line. The digital number is what it is and nothing else. It may be inaccurate, but it is what it is. An analog presentation may require some interpretation as to what is it, though. However, in the final analysis, neither is an issue for me.
+1

I personally prefer digital readout because, like you say, it is what it is. It does have to be big and easily readable, which is the case on the stroms. I also find analog to require more "interpreting" than digital.

I think the inaccuracy is due to a deliberate error margin so that the speedo is guaranteed to be always too high, but never too low.

·
Administrator
13,363 Posts
It took me a few weeks to get used to the digital display as my eye attracted to the digits changing.

Like many old guys I initially just decided that I didn't like digital speed readouts but like many people after I used if for a bit I realized no big deal. Then I realized I was using the digital display on my Zumo as much as the speedo anyway. Plus the Porsche I had (a 2007 Boxster) hsd both analogue and digital displays and I found the digital more useful.

As far as the speed reading error, this is programmed into the system. There is no other explanation for it as the odometer is much more accurate while pretty much all the speedos (analogue and digital) on Stroms are off by about 8% when stock.

..Tom

·
Registered
28 Posts
I own a 2009 and my dad owns a 12 and I like the digital better. Maybe it's because it also shows what you gear you are in. As far as the read out for the mph is, most motorcycles are set low from the factory for a reason, to make it "safer"

·
Premium Member
1,748 Posts
Even analogue speedo uses digital pulse signals, and not cable driven - so reliability with digital speedo is a wash. One might argue that analogue digital has moving parts, so potentially one more thing to fail.

In terms of ease reading - i find digital speedo easier to - i mean how hard is to read 2 or 3 numbers. Analogue speedo may have an advantage if your eyes cant change to focusing to closer objects from looking at distant objects in a hurry - the position of hands gives an approximate speed quickly.

The inaccuracy is built into speedo by manufactuers for liability purpose - an OCD person like myself, would use speedohealer or similar electronic pulse manipulation device to ensure speed displayed is dead accurate. Wee's speedo can be "recalibrated" using Austin Burges speedo face plates.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I like analog speed correction faces. The ability to replace the speedometer face plate and have an accurate speedometer AND odometer. Can't do that with a digital.

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
I don't even use the speedo, I use the tach.

But, as I have both the old and new style, I would have to say the new display is superior.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just bought a 2013 V 650 - I noticed a substantial speed difference went I went thru a few Radar speed signs. Is there a known issue with these? My speedo is reading 5-9 mph more than the radar speed sign reads:bom_dozey::bom_dozey:.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
That is typical. My stock speedo read 7.2% higher than the true speed and that is common.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I just bought a 2013 V 650 - I noticed a substantial speed difference went I went thru a few Radar speed signs. Is there a known issue with these? My speedo is reading 5-9 mph more than the radar speed sign reads:bom_dozey::bom_dozey:.
It's intentional even.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts