StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 274 Posts

·
Premium Member
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about replacing my rear tire, I saw the Anakee's new iteration "3" is offered now. Michelin Anakee 3 Rear Motorcycle Tires

A new tire "architecture" is the marketing term they're using for this odd looking tire. They're also touting 20% longer wear compared to the 2. I'm tempted to try one based on that claim and the Michelin name.
Sure is odd looking: they've definitely departed from deep tread/blocky tread pattern. I can see the benefit of more surface contact area on pavement, but not sure about grip on dirt. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
I somehow became aware of these Anakee IIIs a few weeks ago. I was hoping to see a new thread about them. On my K7 Wee I have an Anakee I on the front and an Anakee II on the rear. Both have performed just fine for me. I tend to trust the Michelin name, mostly because they have a great reputation in auto & truck tires and I believe they can't afford to risk compromising their reputation by making inferior / suspect bike tires.

If I were buying new tires I'd buy these Anakee IIIs. No doubt.

There are plenty of tire threads here where mileage is discussed, but at present my front tire has about 7500 miles (will probably go to about 10k) and the rear tire has about 5000 miles and appears good for about 5-7k more.

It's my suspicion that Michelin moved away from the great-looking (for Stroms) block-pattern AI and AII designs because of complaints from some folks about irregular "block" wear (which might have been caused, some report, by inadequate tire pressure). There are no "blocks" on the AIIIs, thus no blocks to wear irregularly. Just my thoughts, mind you. I really like the AI & AII look though. I'm sorry to see it go...

It sounds like you'll be buying well before I need to. I'd love to hear what you have to say about them after you buy them, should you decide to.

Regardless, good luck.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
I'm still going to run 705's to Alaska but thought that maybe I would try these for my everyday tire untill I saw the price!!.
No thanks,I can buy 2 705 radials for the price of 1 of these !!

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
But, would one A3 out wear even two 705s, not to mention the cost and bother of the tire change?

A good rule of thumb is to consider very closely the newest tire design on the market of the usage you want (90-10 dual sport in this case) from any tire maker you trust. Car tires and bike tires. New technology in rubber compounds, tread design, carcass design, etc. are always coming out. If I was in the market for tires I'd get these, maybe waiting for the part2 video before my final decision if I could wait.

·
Premium Member
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the pic of that tire on a bike, grubs. It doesn't look too bad mounted up and on a bike. Thanks for your comments Hokies. That's pretty much where I'm at with this tire.
I'll probably get a rear. Got 1 or 2 k left on the current rear and this winter has given riding opportunities so far, but I will offer a report once I've got them on and put a few miles on them - which could be May. If anyone else gets one on before then, please post a report. Would love to hear what you think..

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
I change all my own tires,about 7-10 tires a year ( I have 2 solos and a sidecar rig ) .I can get about 10,000 miles out of a rear 705 @$75-80 each,and they do everything I ask them to do.I mostly run others take off's,right now I'm running a set of EXP's off a friends S10 and they have around 11,000 miles on them and they should last me another 2 months or so.I really like the EXP's,I ride year round in Seattle so my tires have to be good in the rain and the EXP's are as good as the 705's.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
But, would one A3 out wear even two 705s, not to mention the cost and bother of the tire change?

A good rule of thumb is to consider very closely the newest tire design on the market of the usage you want (90-10 dual sport in this case) from any tire maker you trust. Car tires and bike tires. New technology in rubber compounds, tread design, carcass design, etc. are always coming out. If I was in the market for tires I'd get these, maybe waiting for the part2 video before my final decision if I could wait.
Well this new tire better get 20,000 miles + to equal 2 705's!!.And I have always changed my own tires.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
203 Posts
Saw this the other day. A fellow V-strommer testing Anakee 3's .

Testing the Anakee 3 motorcycle tire Part 1 | D. Brent Miller

Looking forward to part 2 & 3 of the review.
Thought I'd add my two cents seeing as how that link points to my web site. When I first saw this tire, I thought it looked quite unconventional. The more questions I asked, the more intrigued I became. So when I was asked to test and review, it was a no-brainer.

I think Michelin put a lot of research into these tires, what bikes might be using them, and how those bikes are used. Frankly, I'm quite impressed with their handling. I was out on the bike today, and the tires feel solid through the curves and off camber roads through our local hills.

What I am anxious to try is some gravel. I'm just waiting for the weather to improve significantly.

Brent

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
I'm wearing out a pair of Shinko 705s at the moment, but I was mostly planning on a set of Pilot Road 3s next for my Vee (I've got my KLR for the dirty stuff). These new Anakee 3s look like an even better choice. And they're $10 a set cheaper than the PR3s at Motorcycle Superstore. :fineprint:

If these Anakee 3s retain some tiny modicum of dirtability, that would be a mighty big bonus.

Can't wait to see more info!

I think they look cool, too.

And yes, $300+ a set is still hard to stomach...

·
Registered
438 Posts
I am also thinking PR3 but will be watching this as I have run AnakeeII and found them a good tire. Has to have good road manners and long life.

·
Registered
944 Posts
I change all my own tires,about 7-10 tires a year ( I have 2 solos and a sidecar rig ) .I can get about 10,000 miles out of a rear 705 @$75-80 each,and they do everything I ask them to do.I mostly run others take off's,right now I'm running a set of EXP's off a friends S10 and they have around 11,000 miles on them and they should last me another 2 months or so.I really like the EXP's,I ride year round in Seattle so my tires have to be good in the rain and the EXP's are as good as the 705's.

I looked at the Anakee but decided on the Pilot 3 Trails because I intend to avoid the dirt as much as possible. I was wondering what tools you use to change your own tires? Spoons and wooden blocks.....something else like a No-Mar? Coats?

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
I use a HF tire changing stand and bar.I also use 1..ZipTie 20" spoon,2..9" spoons a 1..small pair of vice grips.
The main thing here is the HF tire stand..

·
Registered
944 Posts
I use a HF tire changing stand and bar.I also use 1..ZipTie 20" spoon,2..9" spoons a 1..small pair of vice grips.
The main thing here is the HF tire stand..

The reason I asked about if you use a certain machine for tire changing was that when I do it myself, I want to make sure I don't damage the sealing surface of the rim with spoons or other manual tools. My brother and I went partners on a No-Mar machine but haven't mounted it to my concrete floor yet so it hasn't been used. Going to mount it in the next few days and change my Wee's tires. We opted for the ulitmate package with comes with many attachments for protecting the rim...plus...a static balancer. At my own expense, I also bought a Marc Parnes upgrade for the balancer so I'll report back here if anyone is interested in how this works out for me.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
The reason I asked about if you use a certain machine for tire changing was that when I do it myself, I want to make sure I don't damage the sealing surface of the rim with spoons or other manual tools. My brother and I went partners on a No-Mar machine but haven't mounted it to my concrete floor yet so it hasn't been used. Going to mount it in the next few days and change my Wee's tires. We opted for the ulitmate package with comes with many attachments for protecting the rim...plus...a static balancer. At my own expense, I also bought a Marc Parnes upgrade for the balancer so I'll report back here if anyone is interested in how this works out for me.
Yes my method can scratch the rim!!.I don't care about it,I use the piss out of my bike ( about 15,000 a year ) and I just touch up the rim with a little black paint the 2 times a year when I wash it !!!.hehehe

1 - 20 of 274 Posts